• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Caldwell

Classiest guy in FB and with his connections he'll land on his feet if he wants to coach again. Of course, I'm sure he could also retire very comfortably at this point. Best wishes, Jim.

Does he still have a house in Winston? As recently as a few years ago I believe he was still being spotted around town pretty regularly during the offseason.

Classiest guy in FB and with his connections he'll land on his feet if he wants to coach again. Of course, I'm sure he could also retire very comfortably at this point. Best wishes, Jim.

Does he still have a house in Winston? As recently as a few years ago I believe he was still being spotted around town pretty regularly during the offseason.

Agree that he's a good, classy guy.
Would be cool if he retired to W-S and was 'around' as a subtle reminder and supporter of Wake .....and showing our connections to the NFL.

I thought he did a good job in Detroit with only half decent talent. Winning record and 2 playoff appearances in 4 years. They've had Stafford, pretty good WRs, a weak OL, little running game, and no one you have to game plan for on D other than maybe Slay. I think 1 of the reasons he did well there is he had 2 good coordinators in Austin and Cooter. I get that Quinn wanted to hire his guy, but I'll be surprised if the coach and coordinators he hires will be better than the combo of Caldwell, Austin and Cooter.

As a Lions fan he did a good job, but the last half of the season the Lions just weren't prepared to play against weak opponents. Cooter has been predictive this year although the OL has been very banged up.

Agree that Caldwell is a great assistant, but as a head coach perhaps too much of a "players" coach.

Sorry to see he was fired. He should be able to get an OC job somewhere (if he still wants to coach) as several of those jobs will be open soon.

It was always nice to have a former Wake coach as Head Coach of an NFL team.

Sorry to see he was fired. He should be able to get an OC job somewhere (if he still wants to coach) as several of those jobs will be open soon.

It was always nice to have a former Wake coach as Head Coach of an NFL team.

He's never really been an OC. We got him from Penn St where he was their QB coach. Then he was QB coach and head coach in Indy, then QB coach and briefly an OC in Baltimore after we fired Cameron. And I don't think he's necessarily a great play caller. He makes a better QB or head coach.

TBP, I don't buy the players coach thing. The Lions have been way more disciplined under Caldwell than they were under Schwartz. And when you talk about the OL in Detroit not being good, I think that helps my point that the trio of Caldwell, Cooter and Austin have overachieved in Detroit given what they've had to work with.

Caldwell's .562 winning percentage is the best of any Lions' head coach since the 50s. Really hard to win when you have no running game at all. Defense was also not brimming with talent. Doubt Caldwell's successor will have a better record when he gets fired.

Yep. Caldwell did a fine job with weak talent in a traditionally poor franchise. He also had to deal with the sudden retirement of one of the all-time greats in Megatron.

JC is a class act and will be able to do whatever he wants. Doubt the Lions will do better.

Absolute class act! He still has house in Clemmons which is for sale. Heard he wants to stay in area and build new house. After being a head coach so long I can't imagine he needs the money. Relax and enjoy the family, Jim. Hope he and Clawson can connect and we see him at Wake games.

He's never really been an OC. We got him from Penn St where he was their QB coach. Then he was QB coach and head coach in Indy, then QB coach and briefly an OC in Baltimore after we fired Cameron. And I don't think he's necessarily a great play caller. He makes a better QB or head coach.

TBP, I don't buy the players coach thing. The Lions have been way more disciplined under Caldwell than they were under Schwartz. And when you talk about the OL in Detroit not being good, I think that helps my point that the trio of Caldwell, Cooter and Austin have overachieved in Detroit given what they've had to work with.

He may not have been an OC for very much of his career, but all his assistant coaching time has been on the offensive side of the ball. Typically fired head coaches end up as coordinators, either offensive or defensive, as they work their way back to HC jobs.

Caldwell's .562 winning percentage is the best of any Lions' head coach since the 50s. Really hard to win when you have no running game at all. Defense was also not brimming with talent. Doubt Caldwell's successor will have a better record when he gets fired.

Yep, I put the over/under on their next coach's tenure at 3.5 yrs.

When Caldwell was first hired at Wake, he went around to the various dorms to drum up some student support. I lived in Davis at the time and when he came to talk to us, 5 people showed up and he stayed and talked to us for an hour and a half. I always thought that was cool.

Played a round of golf with him in Winston ~5 years ago. Echo the sentiments already said. Incredible man, good coach. He said he loved Winston, and planned to retire here. So I assume he still has a house here.

Back