• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe to Illinois?

Lobo to the B10. I'm sure Meyer, Harbaugh, Dantonio, et al are quaking in their boots ......................

He's 63 years old, hasn't been relevant in nearly a decade, and he's never proven that he can competitively recruit BCS caliber players. I would understand him being interviewed for a MAC school or service academy, but nothing better

If he does I'll be pulling for Illinois to do well. I'm very glad we've got Clawson, it was time for a change, but I will always be a Grobe fan. I do agree it would be a very surprising hire and if I was a Illinois fan I'd be scratching my head.

Grobe and Caldwell are the guys you bring in when there's an image problem. Can easily see Illinois wanting to replace a guy they had to fire because of scandal with a guy like Grobe.

Grobe and Caldwell are the guys you bring in when there's an image problem. Can easily see Illinois wanting to replace a guy they had to fire because of scandal with a guy like Grobe.

An older guy with a brief stint of success surrounded by lots of losses, coming in billed as the agent of positive cultural change.
It almost sounds like...

He's 63 years old, hasn't been relevant in nearly a decade, and he's never proven that he can competitively recruit BCS caliber players. I would understand him being interviewed for a MAC school or service academy, but nothing better

He's available and can be on campus tomorrow.

If Grobe were ever to get a high profile job like Illinois, we should be prepared to hear nationally how you can't win at Wake and how crazy we all were for expecting it.

Too much hate for a guy who took us to the Orange Bowl.
Meh. He deserves his reputation.

I hope he coaches with his hair on fire wherever he ends up because that Jim Grobe was a heck of a coach. It's a shame he gave up toward the end.

If Grobe were ever to get a high profile job like Illinois, we should be prepared to hear nationally how you can't win at Wake and how crazy we all were for expecting it.

Illinois is not a high profile job. I'd compare it to Rutgers above Indiana, Purdue and NW in Big Ten.

Jesus Christ, Illinois is a B1G P5 program that is televised nationally. It's "high profile" by definition. UAB or something would not be "high profile".

Some people will find anything, anything at all, to argue over...

As the 3-9 & 4-8 seasons continue to roll by during the coming years, more people are going to remember those 28 wins & 3 bowls from 2006-08 with an ever growing fondness....and grudging appreciation. You won't ever see a 3-year period like that again.

As the expense of depends piles up during the coming years, bkf will remember when he didn't have to wear adult diapers with growing fondness.

Back