• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Kelly has cancer

Mbadvisor

Reaction score
Kelly Diagnosed With Cancer
Jim Kelly announced at his golf tournament this morning that he has been diagnosed with cancer in the upper jaw bone. He is suffering from squamous cell carcinoma and will have surgery on Friday at ECMC. He will then find out if he needs chemotherapry or reconstructive surgery on his face and jaw. Tests show it has been confined to the jaw bone and has not spread to other parts of the body. His prognosis is very good

Jim Kelly is a tough SOB. Played quarterback with the attitude of a linebacker. Hope his recovery is quick and full.

Was he a smokeless tobacco user? Is this caused by smokeless tobacco?

Oral cavity squamous cell is almost surely from cigars, dip, alcohol, cigs, or some variation of all of that.

As a Dolphins fan, I absolutely hated him on the field even though I respected how he played. However, I certainly wish him a fast and complete recovery and hope that others learn from this.

This is why I'm a 587 days quit from chew (and all nicotine). Wish Jim Kelly well.

Always liked Jim Kelly and the effort he made though never rooted for him as a Jet fan. Wishing him a healthy and speedy recovery.

Is this what Roger Ebert had?

Wishing him a speedy recovery. Dude had a rocket arm to throw like he did with The Hawk in Buffalo.

Nice try by Michael Douglas to try and pass the buck. HPV (passed through oral sex) has been associated with head and neck cancer but it is almost entirely in the oropharynx (tonsil/base of tongue). I think I read he had supraglottic carcinoma, which is almost always a cancer of abuse (alcohol, tobacco, etc).

a friend's pop got throat cancer from eating pussy too. Seems to me that it is quite possible you could get tongue cancer from it. Not sure why he'd lie about it at this point in his career.

a friend's pop got throat cancer from eating pussy too. Seems to me that it is quite possible you could get tongue cancer from it. Not sure why he'd lie about it at this point in his career.

Agreed about no need to lie.

I've taken care of a lot of people with head and neck cancer. I've never seen an HPV + tumor anywhere but the oropharynx. Part of it is tumors arent always tested for hpv. Oral cavity would seem plausible for HPV but seems to be a substance abuse cancer too.

It seems to have a propensity for the oropharynx because the squamous cells are non-keratinizing there much as they are in the female cervix. Not sure why HPV seems to migrate to the non-keratinizing tissues.

Last edited:
Back