• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joe Biden

berneses

Reaction score
Big win for Biden last night in his hopes for becoming Democratic nominee in 2016. With Hilary's illness and his bipartisan work on the fiscal deal, he gets a real boost. Also, he will be the front man on the gun issue and half to imagine with Boehner's failures that he and McConnell will be the main negotiators on the debt ceiling negotiations and the grand bargain/4 trillion deficit reduction package and the VP may be setting himself up nicely as someone who gets something accomplished in DC. I am so tired of seeing Congress fail it's nice to see bipartisan support on a issue (89-8 vote, wow!)

Lots of Dems (and the press) are fond of Biden, but the cake's already baked on his crazy uncle persona. He does have an ego, but like McCain he'll stay on the stage too long and likely tarnish his legacy by over reaching. Do think he'll run, but he won't even win the nomination.

lol Great thread. Would read again. It's a pity there's no real agreement yet and this dilemma is far from over. They agreed to delay a solution for 2 months. Oh, and raise taxes on the rich, which has a new definition of $450K annually.

LOL. Some ideas are really half-baked. No way Joe Biden runs for president in 2016.....and I seriously doubt that Hillary will, either.

Hillary is running. It seems these physical problems come from a rash of last minute travel. She'll be fine..and unbeatable.

LOLOLOL. Dems are going to have a BRUTAL 2016 primary. Anyone calling a favorite right now is out of their mind.

The New Democrats are not taking the nomination in anything other than a bitter primary. No way, no how. The idea that the progressive wing would back down after 8 disappointing years of Obama and let somebody TO HIS RIGHT waltz to the nomination is nonsensical.

Last edited:
You have no room to talk. You can't even get behind raising taxes on the 1%.

Hah? Where did you get that idea? I'm in all in favor of raising taxes to Clinton-era levels, but, as I pointed out elsewhere, that alone ain't gonna solve this country's deficit problems.

We need a more serious commitment, like say, ending the two foreign engagements we've been in for the last decade -- not just raising taxes.

Lots of Dems (and the press) are fond of Biden, but the cake's already baked on his crazy uncle persona. He does have an ego, but like McCain he'll stay on the stage too long and likely tarnish his legacy by over reaching. Do think he'll run, but he won't even win the nomination.

This is the right answer. Joe has no shot at winning the nomination, though he'll probably give it a run. Hilary can obviously have it if she likes. Pubs are still hamstrung by the "base" requiring someone socially extreme...

Hah? Where did you get that idea? I'm in all in favor of raising taxes to Clinton-era levels, but, as I pointed out elsewhere, that alone ain't gonna solve this country's deficit problems.

We need a more serious commitment, like say, ending the two foreign engagements we've been in for the last decade -- not just raising taxes.

I agree, but we've got to start somewhere. We can't just twiddle our thumbs looking for agreement on a big package that is never going to come.

A bitter primary between Obama and Clinton ended up being good for the party.

A progressive candidate would get killed in the general just like a hard right candidate would. A progressive would come across just like the right-wing loonies did in the Republican primary. They'd make the centrist voices in the primary seem more reasonable.

Last edited:
Obama and Boehner were close to a grand bargain last summer, but the House Pubs shot that down.

The Stanford rape case is being discussed in the Baylor rape thread on the sports board.

Back