• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joel Purchase?

I just want it renames something wake related. It will probably be corporate related when the time comes. Anyway just glad that the ball seems to be rolling on this thing. Never thought i would see it to be honest.

You seem to have something personal problem with Joel. It was a city arena and it shouldn't have just been named after a Wake person.

Wow, geez guys calm down. Just thought i would let you guys know what i know on what i consider being a great and long overdue thing for wake in actually owning their own basketball arena. I dont think it should have been named after joel, just personal opinion though. Calm down. Ive had to many great memories in that place to hate it. PRACTICALLY grew up there.

Wow, geez guys calm down. Just thought i would let you guys know what i know on what i consider being a great and long overdue thing for wake in actually owning their own basketball arena. I dont think it should have been named after joel, just personal opinion though. Calm down. Ive had to many great memories in that place to hate it. PRACTICALLY grew up there.

I was just reminded about how long it took some of us to adjust/accept after Wake's announcement about name change of Groves to BB&T Field. 6 months after the announcement some were still claiming on the old board that it was really "BB&T Field at Groves Stadium." The name Groves hasn't even been mentioned by anyone since other than some old traditionalists like me that either still use the old name or occasionally forget.

Race relations, nothing more, nothing less.

If that was the reason to name it after Mr. Joel just imagine the stink it will cause if you decide to change the name. (That excessively obese gentleman with no neck from the NCAAP will be stirring things up.)

Just leave it "the Joel" and Deaconize it.

If the Mr. Joel in question was in fact a lifelong Carolina fan, then we should change it. The city has many other avenues for honoring Mr. Joel and should use some of them.

How about "The Joel" or the inevitable "The Buygold.com Joel?"

I was just reminded about how long it took some of us to adjust/accept after Wake's announcement about name change of Groves to BB&T Field. 6 months after the announcement some were still claiming on the old board that it was really "BB&T Field at Groves Stadium." The name Groves hasn't even been mentioned by anyone since other than some old traditionalists like me that either still use the old name or occasionally forget.

I thought everyone still called it Groves.

I think it would be a PR nightmare to change the name from the Joel (it could be perceived as anti-military, as well the aforementioned race issues). I wouldn't be surprised to see the BB&T Joel Coliseum or BB&T Court at the Joel Coliseum, but I just don't see us taking the Joel name off the building completely.

ETA: I would be pretty disappointed in Wake if they took the Joel name off of the building - like I said earlier, hometown Medal of Honor recipient speaks for itself, Tar Heel fan, Duke fan, or otherwise.

Last edited:
Wellman is going to leave quite a legacy in terms of facilities when he retires.

If the Mr. Joel in question was in fact a lifelong Carolina fan, then we should change it. The city has many other avenues for honoring Mr. Joel and should use some of them.

When someone from my home town puts their life on the line to help others and receives the military's highest honor for it, I couldn't give a shit what team they pull for.

Regardless of the reason, they found someone deserving. No matter how troubled his life was when he returned, winning the MoH overshadows all the negative.

In case people aren't aware, this is from his MoH citation.

I really don't care about the underlying reasons. The man is deserving of the honor.

I'm curious if childressfor3 read this post.

Crazy in 1989 that "race relations" had to be the reason to honor the city's only Medal of Honor recipient. Crazy in 2011 that childressfor3 still sees this as a bad thing.

We could always just rename it the Wake Forest Basketball Memorial Coliseum.

Crazy in 1989 that "race relations" had to be the reason to honor the city's only Medal of Honor recipient. Crazy in 2011 that childressfor3 still sees this as a bad thing.

Exactly. Like I posted earlier, the city honored him in a parade in 1967. If there were other MOH recipients from WS and none of them were honored, there might be something to the race claims. But there are no other recipients, Joel is the only one.

Lawrence Joel sounds like the ultimate badass. I'm sure we could get an accounting firm to buy the naming rights. Or give the naming rights to a bulge bracket firm and get some good Wall Street pub going for job seekers.

Lawrence Joel sounds like the ultimate badass. I'm sure we could get an accounting firm to buy the naming rights. Or give the naming rights to a bulge bracket firm and get some good Wall Street pub going for job seekers.

Naming rights bullshit aside, any word on renovations in the works for the building? It is still a good facility but it's pushing it's 25th birthday. Off the top of my head, I'd think that it is probably one of the older facility in the conference without a major facelift. Clemson and GT have both done work to their respective gyms recently. MD, State and UVA all have newer arenas. Not sure about FSU, Miami, or BC. I don't think we can compete with the Dean Dome or Cameron Indoor, so I don't really count those.

Back