• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joel Purchase?

Certainly. Its losing money for the city, along with Bowman Gray Stadium. I hear that they're still looking to sell it to WSSU.

I wonder affect that would have on Bowman Gray as a racetrack? I imagine WSSU would want to make the stadium more "WSSU-ish" the same as we are going to do with the Joel.

I'll be surprised if there isn't a tussle over renaming the building. It'll be a quandary.

I'll be surprised if there isn't a tussle over renaming the building. It'll be a quandary.

Um, yes. Im just waiting for it. I pray they will dump the joel name, should have never been named that to begin with.

Lawrence Joel was, from what I've heard from those familiar with him or his family, a life-long Tar Heel fan. That's probably what he (and others here over the years) have mentioned as a bone-in-the-craw.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow negotiated into the purchase that we keep the name for a specified number of years or pay extra to change the name. It will be a PR nightmare to change it.

But really, if the city likes the name so much and feels the need to coontinue to honor Mr. Joel, they should be more than willing to step in and move the memorial to a prominent place on the city's property.

What will happen to all of the memorial stones that have veteran names engraved on them? PR wise, we or the city would have to create a new memorial somewhere or else we'd never live that one down

What will happen to all of the memorial stones that have veteran names engraved on them? PR wise, we or the city would have to create a new memorial somewhere or else we'd never live that one down

It's something we'd have to dump in the city's lap. Ultimately, the building is going to be torn down someday. That's what happens to arenas; it's a fact of life. If the city values the memorial and the name, they shouldn't be selling it to a third party.

I would prefer that we not have any more dead soldiers.

I knew that was coming when I wrote it, just wondered how long.

I would prefer the same, but that's not reality. I hope we continue to honor them by expanding the memorial when the inevitable happens.

I knew that was coming when I wrote it, just wondered how long.

I would prefer the same, but that's not reality. I hope we continue to honor them by expanding the memorial when the inevitable happens.

Yeah, I wasn't attacking you. I got a douchey signed negrep from another poster though. But ultimately, Wake Forest doesn't need to be in the business of memorializing the war dead of W-S. that's W-S's job and it needs to be on W-S's land. A basketball arena was a dumb place for the memorial from the beginning.

thrilled to see macktheknife make an appearance today. great to see you, mack.

Back