• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins is #2 in KP's All-ACC Ratings

Some people will crucify him. People still crucify Chris for leaving and he's was a guaranteed top 5 pick.

Only members of the MFF.

I hope Collins fully understands just how good of a team we would have next year if he comes back. He could take us places Paul, Teague, Johnson and AFA couldn't.

Some people will crucify him. People still crucify Chris for leaving and he's was a guaranteed top 5 pick.

That was a long time ago and he made people believe he was staying.

Well, Paul was saying he was coming back which affect our recruiting and lead us into the abyss for two years. He decided he'd rather be a star of State Farm commercials then win championships.

Collins can go if he wants, no problem there, but the situations are different. A guy that has come out of nowhere vs. an All-American that knew his options before the season even started.

Only members of the MFF.

I hope Collins fully understands just how good of a team we would have next year if he comes back. He could take us places Paul, Teague, Johnson and AFA couldn't.

Is that worth taking the chance that he might get injured? Or the extra money he'll make?

It's nice for us, but how about for him and his family?

Is that worth taking the chance that he might get injured? Or the extra money he'll make?

It's nice for us, but how about for him and his family?

I guess it all comes down to when he's hearing he'll be drafted. Top 15, you go take the money most likely. Like most, I think he would be a top 10 pick if he stays another year. Even with minor improvement in his game, maybe increasing his range, bulking up a bit more, improving his handles slightly, could pay off. Who knows. I'd be curious to hear from his peers about how much he likes college and being "the man" on campus. Maybe none of it matters because millions of dollars speaks volumes. It's all speculation right now.

I see the odds around 75-25 that he leaves vs stays.

It's millions of dollars and injuries vs. having some fun. If he's in the 1st guaranteed, he should go.

Too bad his family is an example of personal sacrifice for a bigger cause. Just the fact that he sees this as a choice between getting his jersey in the rafters vs. making money now, speaks a lot for his values.

Very hard to turn down the pay check.

Too bad his family is an example of personal sacrifice for a bigger cause. Just the fact that he sees this as a choice between getting his jersey in the rafters vs. making money now, speaks a lot for his values.

Very hard to turn down the pay check.

I hope he does, but I wouldn't recommend it if he were a client of mine.

“To be frank, it’s legacy or money, really,” Collins said. “I’m trying to decide if I want to be up in the rafters as one of the great Wake Forest players of all time or go to the NBA, be a professional and do it that way. But I’m trying to wait until the end of the season to make any kind of decision, to do anything about that. ... No wavering yet. I’m on the fence either way.”

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_3ee7d8f8-d80a-554c-8421-8ca16e02cffd.html

Hamilton obviously hasn't been glued to the Danny Manning credibility watch thread.

Like most, I think he would be a top 10 pick if he stays another year.

As someone who isn't a Wake fan but has seen a fair bit of Collins and also routinely follows the NBA - I just don't see this. He's not an alien level athlete, doesn't have elite size and doesn't have a unique skillset that is extremely valuable to the NBA. In other words, his ceiling is probably somewhere around the 15th pick in the draft. 6'10" post scorers just aren't that valuable in the NBA right now (hell, even 7'0" ones aren't - look at Philly basically trying to give away Okafor and nobody wants him). Unless he grows 2-3" or suddenly shoots 40% from 3 on a huge volume of attempts while showing dynamic playmaking ability with his passing, he's just not going to be able to climb above being a mid-1st draft pick.

RJKarl earlier in the thread compared him to Marquese Chriss, but that comparison is exactly why the ceiling for someone like Collins is around #15 overall. Chriss was drafted because he's an alien level athlete who displayed a face-up game and 3 point stroke with a very raw / useless post game. He went #8 overall because that's the recipe for what NBA teams want with top 10 picks - basically the opposite kind of PF to what Collins is.

I think Collins is going to be a good pro and he's a hell of a college player, but if he gets a mid-1st guarantee ... that's basically his ceiling. Coming back to school isn't going to change the core of what he is as a player, and that just isn't valuable enough to NBA teams for him to move up draft boards too much.

As someone who isn't a Wake fan but has seen a fair bit of Collins and also routinely follows the NBA - I just don't see this. He's not an alien level athlete, doesn't have elite size and doesn't have a unique skillset that is extremely valuable to the NBA. In other words, his ceiling is probably somewhere around the 15th pick in the draft. 6'10" post scorers just aren't that valuable in the NBA right now (hell, even 7'0" ones aren't - look at Philly basically trying to give away Okafor and nobody wants him). Unless he grows 2-3" or suddenly shoots 40% from 3 on a huge volume of attempts while showing dynamic playmaking ability with his passing, he's just not going to be able to climb above being a mid-1st draft pick.

RJKarl earlier in the thread compared him to Marquese Chriss, but that comparison is exactly why the ceiling for someone like Collins is around #15 overall. Chriss was drafted because he's an alien level athlete who displayed a face-up game and 3 point stroke with a very raw / useless post game. He went #8 overall because that's the recipe for what NBA teams want with top 10 picks - basically the opposite kind of PF to what Collins is.

I think Collins is going to be a good pro and he's a hell of a college player, but if he gets a mid-1st guarantee ... that's basically his ceiling. Coming back to school isn't going to change the core of what he is as a player, and that just isn't valuable enough to NBA teams for him to move up draft boards too much.

Okafor is more like 6'10", isn't he?

Okafor is more like 6'10", isn't he?

I think he was officially measured at 6'11" ... Collins is probably more like 6'8.5" as well. He's definitely smaller than Okafor and not nearly as long, Okafor has some goddamn condor arms.

vad, that's a fair assessment. I think people are counting on a weaker draft next year and for Collins to continue developing his skills.

Collins ain't 6'8" dude. Would love it if so necause it would mean he's not a 1st rd pick but it aint so. He'll out perform his drrsft position. Great motor snd competitor. Cool head. He's a lunch bucket guy at the next level. Tristan thompson, Dennis Rodman, imo

Collins ain't 6'8" dude. Would love it if so necause it would mean he's not a 1st rd pick but it aint so. He'll out perform his drrsft position. Great motor snd competitor. Cool head. He's a lunch bucket guy at the next level. Tristan thompson, Dennis Rodman, imo

Yeah, I think he's going to be a good pro. Probably not a star, but he has a high motor, just eats the glass up and can score around the hoop when he gets the ball down low. Tristan Thompson is probably a pretty good comp for what he can be at the next level if he grows into a frame a bit and shows he can play center in small ball lineups (which will be key to his career long term in the modern NBA - he'll need to be able to give you 15-20 minutes per game at the 5).

Yeah, I think he's going to be a good pro. Probably not a star, but he has a high motor, just eats the glass up and can score around the hoop when he gets the ball down low. Tristan Thompson is probably a pretty good comp for what he can be at the next level if he grows into a frame a bit and shows he can play center in small ball lineups (which will be key to his career long term in the modern NBA - he'll need to be able to give you 15-20 minutes per game at the 5).
Tristan is a good comp imo

I think JC has a little more offensive game and a little less athleticism

If we miss the tourney and lose Collins that would suck

If we make the tourney, win a game or two and lose Collins then I'd think it's a net positive to the program

Back