• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins Update

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
In a Florida Assoc. of Basketball Coaches All-Star game last night, John Collins led all scorers with 26 points. The game included Taco Falls the 7'6" UCF commit and commits from University of Florida, VT, and Kansas State.

In a Florida Assoc. of Basketball Coaches All-Star game last night, John Collins led all scorers with 26 points. The game included Taco Falls the 7'6" UCF commit and commits from University of Florida, VT, and Kansas State.

Great find, thanks Bud!

Nice mention in this Orlando Sentinel article on Tacko Fall. I hope Collins stays lowly ranked, so it will lend more credibility to Manning as a big man coach if he blows up next season.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-hs-yes-tacko-fall-is-tall-20150307-post.html

Fall is a skyscraper even when he’s matched up against players like 6-9 Wake Forest signee John Collins and 6-8 UF recruit Noah Dickerson, who played for the Blue squad.
Collins looked to be the most polished and college-ready post player in Saturday’s game. He scored a game-high 26 points and added 10 rebounds. Dickerson grabbed 10 rebounds and blocked three shots.

Last edited:
Are the early predictions that we'll see more of a Collins (4)/ Thomas (5) combo or a Thomas (4)/ Moore (5) combo next season?

I would bet quite a lot that Collins sees more minutes than Moore next year.

Collins/Devin to start with Moore off the bench for Devin would be my guess.

Collins can be pretty beneficial to Dinos as well. Without another good PF, Dinos would be forced into the same role as this year, where he is counted on to be a full-fledged regular PF, which he's not. He's a Euro-style big man, who is strong shooting from outside but needs work on his inside game and defense. Allowing Collins (and Moore) to take the "tough" minutes down low allows Dinos to simply do what he is good at, be an outside threat.

Moore should provide some decent minutes on defense but he's got to work on the offense.

Last edited:
Collins can be pretty beneficial to Dinos as well. Without another good PF, Dinos would be forced into the same role as this year, where he is counted on to be a full-fledged regular PF, which he's not. He's a Euro-style big man, who is strong shooting from outside but needs work on his inside game and defense. Allowing Collins (and Moore) to take the "tough" minutes down low allows Dinos to simply do what he is good at, be an outside threat.

Moore should provide some decent minutes on defense but he's got to work on the offense.

I would think Dinos will improve his skills in the off season with DM's guidance.

I think some people are going to be pretty disappointed in Moore next year. I don't think he becomes a factor in the rotation for another year or two.

Moore will take some time to develop. He has trouble getting good rebounding position and is not a natural shot blocker,

Moore will take some time to develop. He has trouble getting good rebounding position and is not a natural shot blocker,

That's kind of an odd statement. Isn't a kid either a shot blocker or he isn't? Not sure how much that can be coached.

Rebound, rebound, rebound.

He will block some shots because he is 7.0 tall but he won't impress in that area. Also, I wouldn't say his motor is set on "high". DM will have to work with him. He has enough potential to justify the effort. Hopefully, he becomes another Loren Woods without the baggage.

Last edited:
From what I saw from Doral in games it looked like he was still growing into his body. At times slow to react with his feet on defense/rebounds. Kind of like he takes big steps and doesn't change directions quickly and jump quickly. Not sure it is an effort thing, more just that he is a bit uncoordinated given his size/age (not uncommon).

Think about it: we are talking about a true 7'0, with monster wingspan, and an actual offensive skillset (which Doral has all of!). If he also was coordinated enough to be a beast rim protector/rebounder right out of the gate he wouldn't be the #60 recruit in the country. He does seem to be very athletic/jumpy when he can collect himself.

Very optimistic about Doral as a prospect, just maybe not to have big production next year.

He will block some shots because he is 7.0 tall but he won't impress in that area. Also, I wouldn't say his motor is set on "high". DM will have to work with him. He has enough potential to justify the effort. Hopefully, he becomes another Loren Woods without the baggage.

Regardless, I assume he is expected to be an upgrade over the current roster at this position?

My guess is he will be only a slight upgrade over Andre next year. Hopefully with a year or two with Manning under his belt, he becomes a good player.

Back