• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins

I am really impressed with Collins. He will be great by the end of the year-- heck he is pretty good right now

Collins is best freshman power forward to play for WFU since Rodney Rogers ( other than JJ and AFA). No way he is a 3 star recruit. The so called recruiting experts missed the boat on JC. I don't get it. And Theo Pinson was #10?!! LOL

That rip the rebound right out of the hands of two opposing defenders and put it back up was one of the strongest moves I've seen from a Wake Forest big man in years. Beautiful sight. He also put back one of Devin's rare misses. Great night for JC.

And 4 fouls in his first 8 minutes. Just has to learn to stay vertical in the paint and to stay under control when he's closing out on the perimeter - but man... Almost half of his boards have been on the offensive end (11/24) and he's almost averaging a field goal every 3 minutes. And he's only played 4 college games.

Yeesh. Good stuff.

If he could not foul and stay on the court he would be more of a beast. As he progresses this year under DM it's going to be a treat to watch. He and the big Brit next year will be a load down low.

Collins is a good one. I'm also impressed with the way Mitoglou has asserted himself in the paint offensively and defensively. He tended to float around the three point line a little too much last year. Those drives down the lane (finishing with the left several times) were non-existent last year.

He is no longer a complete liability on defense as well. His game is blossoming.

Collins is a good one. I'm also impressed with the way Mitoglou has asserted himself in the paint offensively and defensively. He tended to float around the three point line a little too much last year. Those drives down the lane (finishing with the left several times) were non-existent last year.

He is no longer a complete liability on defense as well. His game is blossoming.

Agree with everything but this. Some of it is team rotations, but a lot of it is him not only being slow to recover, but also slow to react. I'm assuming that's why he wasn't in the game for the last 5 mins, until the very end. (Much to Walton and many on this board's bewilderment)

But back to the positives, Crawford and Collins have given me hope that losing CMM and DT may not be quite as catastrophic of a hit next year as I had originally thought.

Last edited:
One thing I've liked about our bigs this year is that when they catch the ball down low, they don't put it on the floor every time.

As great as he was, Big E would ALWAYS bounce the ball before a shot no matter where he caught it. Drove me nuts.

Putting the ball on the floor isn't the problem. It is how you use the dribble. E would constantly put the ball on the floor before he made his move. That is what allows offball defenders to reach and get the ball. If you USE your dribble to get somewhere it is a much more difficult swipe. Collins uses his dribble well. He is pretty much the player I expected him to be based on the limited tape we had of him as a high school player. He can really put the ball in the hoop.

He must have had excellent coaching in High School. He has great fundamentals for a high school player.

He has a PER of forty-freaking-two so far.

depositphotos_5821542-Shocked-nerd.jpg

Big John Collins and DT on the floor together is a MEAN front court.

Big John Collins and DT on the floor together is a MEAN front court.

I think (hope) that by the spring, JC will be able to stay on the floor and play defense without fouling. Once that gets to be the case, Danny can do some fun things on offense. Like a line-up of Crawford, CMM, Dinos, JC, and DT.

Of course, that lineup might not be great on the other end of the court...

I think (hope) that by the spring, JC will be able to stay on the floor and play defense without fouling. Once that gets to be the case, Danny can do some fun things on offense. Like a line-up of Crawford, CMM, Dinos, JC, and DT.

Of course, that lineup might not be great on the other end of the court...

Play a 2-3 zone on defense. Pound the ball inside with DT and JC, and kick out to Dinos for 3s.

Win.

Back