• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Madden Dead at 85

I wonder if FOX will reair the documentary to make up for the Holiday Bowl.

I guess they had already locked in some reruns before the news broke.

Is any death at 85 “unexpected”? Seemed like he lived a pretty good life all thing considered.

Not really, especially since he hadn't been in the public eye in several years. I figured his health was failing because FOX came out with that special seemingly out of the blue.

I only really know Madden's broadcasting career so I hadn't given much thought to his coaching career. I don't know why he doesn't seem to get mentioned as an all-time great. 10 seasons, 8 playoffs, 1 Super Bowl, 103-32-7 (.754) record. Retired at 42 years old.

I also don't know why more people didn't compare Madden to Jon Gruden. Very similar career trajectories with respect to a Super Bowl (but not W-L) and retiring early and going into broadcasting until Gruden go back into coaching.

Last edited:
Ha funny you say that - he’d been low key for so long i actually thought he was already dead when the doc came out!

Well for one, seems like Madden was a good dude whereas Gruden is seemingly a cliche machine POS

Not sure how much he had to do with his video games but I owe my football obsession and knowledge to Madden 94 on Sega.

My obsession was madden 92 and I’m guessing I’ve spent over a thousand dollars on madden games over the years . I actually played the original madden PC game when I was I kid but I didn’t get into it totally until sega. I also did a book report on “ Hey wait a minute, I wrote a book” when I was in jr high.

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon!" &

"Here's a guy when he runs, he moves faster."

two of my favorites.

Sam Mills pulling a Kenny Pickett.

LOL at the “Whoomp there it is!” chant. Great moment.

Someone please send these receivers over the middle.

FHybMTuXMAoEcsT

FHybMTvWQAABrXh

Madden had the misfortune to coach during an era of two dynasties. In the early part of his career, the Miami Dolphins were the best team in football and he could never quite get over that hump. After the Dolphins, the Terry Bradshaw Pittsburg Steelers were the best team and he struggled to beat them, too.

Those two teams were the reason Madden only won one Super Bowl..

Back