• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Oliver

deacs1995

i gave at the office
Reaction score
Just wanted to remind all his show starts back tonight 11 pm hbo.

My son said he was a must see.....was not disappointed. Laughed my ass off for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
This might be for the unpopular opinion thread, but while I like his show and the issues he brings forth, I don't find John Oliver all that funny. He does a good job at pointing out the ridiculousness that occurs in government/industry, etc. and that's funny, but his actual jokes fall flat for me.

This might be for the unpopular opinion thread, but while I like his show and the issues he brings forth, I don't find John Oliver all that funny. He does a good job at pointing out the ridiculousness that occurs in government/industry, etc. and that's funny, but his actual jokes fall flat for me.

What's it like to be dead inside?

Not always ha ha funny because he can go way over the top. But awesome at his job IMO.

Saw him a few weeks ago in Philadelphia and it was one of the best standup shows I've ever seen. I wasn't sure what to expect from him and figured his material might not translate to standup, but he was amazing.

tumblr_mtpi9nBuzs1s0z1yto4_r1_500.gif

I love John Oliver. I hope he expands his show's scope, so many people out there need to get got.

Totally agree with this. Great material but he doesnt carry it as well as Colbert or Stewart. I dont think he is as likable or as funny.

That's not his role. He's the snarky critical British guy. He even mentioned the cliche in his income inequality bit.

Oliver's show really goes much more in depth than any daily show bit. Its like, actual investigative journalism. Rare these days..

Oliver's show really goes much more in depth than any daily show bit. Its like, actual investigative journalism. Rare these days..

These guys are kinda figuring out that if you pair actual journalism with laughs, people will actually pay attention.

I never watch The Daily Show, but I love John Oliver's show.

Reading this thread has made me realize I haven't watched Wilmore for over a week and I don't even care to catch up. So I guess I've given up on his show. I like him, a lot even, but the format just doesn't work for me. It does for Maher though. I guess because the latter gets higher profile guests, no doubt due to needing only 1 night a week rather than 4. As it is, Wilmore always has one panelist that's irrelevant (the staffer du jour) and at best, one that's actually interesting for the topic.

Perhaps I'll hover around to see what the topic is for a particular night and watch if interested. Otherwise, I'm out.

Back