• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Oliver's Last Week Tonight Segment on the NCAA

vtwhat etc

Historically Competitive
Reaction score
Thought some may enjoy this piece. There's a Lawrence Joel sighting around 19:10. Other highlights include the rest of the Tawainese-esque animation and #SoybeanWind

Last edited:
I thought this was great. Especially making Dabo look like a completely out of touch asshole, which cant be that hard, but is still thoroughly enjoyable.

I was hoping he was going to do this. Teaching about Sports and Education today. Looking forward to watching it and hopefully showing it to my class.

Good piece, though he probably should've made note of the move toward cost of attendance. That seems to be part of the solution he's looking for.

But players should obviously get more including revenues from merch sales

I was hoping he was going to do this. Teaching about Sports and Education today. Looking forward to watching it and hopefully showing it to my class.

Translation: I have watched a shitload of basketball since Thursday and haven't prepared a lesson plan.

Hard not to enjoy something that takes shots at UNC and Dabo Swinney

Translation: I have watched a shitload of basketball since Thursday and haven't prepared a lesson plan.

I haven't watched any college hoops all week and I can lecture about the role of sports in education in my sleep. I just don't want them to go to sleep while I do it. John Oliver is very good at catching up everybody on the issues. My students who don't follow sports will like it. It also may get the athletes in my class to talk more about their own experiences.

Nice Joel sighting. It would have been amazing to host UCLA in 1994-95.

Gonna be great when Ph's students boycott off season workout until they get paid up in the bitch!

As a former NCAA athlete (non-rev) fuck the NCAA. It's corrupt beyond hell at every level. I love John Oliver for calling them out on their bullshit.

I actually disagreed with a lot of what he said.

I agree that there need to be guaranteed scholarships for 4 years and a full cost of attendance stipend, but he seemed to gloss over the fact that they actually have huge benefits to playing these sports and they voluntarily participate.

I agree that there need to be guaranteed scholarships for 4 years and a full cost of attendance stipend, but he seemed to gloss over the fact that they actually have huge benefits to playing these sports and they voluntarily participate.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. This is awfully simplistic, but if college athletics is such a raw deal for student athletes, why do student athletes nevertheless turn out in droves to sign up for college athletics? It's completely reasonable to argue that, economically speaking, the NCAA is a cartel and artificially restricts benefits to the students. But the flip side of the economic coin is that these students must be receiving some benefits that we aren't properly quantifying, given that so many continue to sign up.

(I recognize that the, under normal market conditions, we would expect more students to sign up for athletics. But that seems specious given that, for nearly all college sports, far more students want to sign up for a roster spot than there are available spots.)

Here's to the boards economists weighing in. Is there something I'm not understanding about the NCAA is a unique type of cartel? Or is the answer that students are somehow coerced into signing up (parental/community pressure, e.g.)? I'm comfortable with that answer.

What am I missing?

I was actually thinking about this the other day. This is awfully simplistic, but if college athletics is such a raw deal for student athletes, why do student athletes nevertheless turn out in droves to sign up for college athletics? It's completely reasonable to argue that, economically speaking, the NCAA is a cartel and artificially restricts benefits to the students. But the flip side of the economic coin is that these students must be receiving some benefits that we aren't properly quantifying, given that so many continue to sign up.

(I recognize that the, under normal market conditions, we would expect more students to sign up for athletics. But that seems specious given that, for nearly all college sports, far more students want to sign up for a roster spot than there are available spots.)

Here's to the boards economists weighing in. Is there something I'm not understanding about the NCAA is a unique type of cartel? Or is the answer that students are somehow coerced into signing up (parental/community pressure, e.g.)? I'm comfortable with that answer.

What am I missing?

I think this is bad logic. It is like saying... if [Walmart] is such a raw deal for [employees], why do [people] nevertheless turn out in droves to [apply] for [jobs]? You can recognize that college athletics are desirable and have benefits while also holding the NCAA to task for misusing its power.

He did. The whole Carolina part was about how the benefits aren't guaranteed.

Volunteers still shouldn't be exploited.

What am I missing?

They sign up because it is better than the alternative, which is not getting the benefits of being on a team. But the NCAA ensures there is not a good alternative by not allowing schools to pay players.

If the NCAA had stuck to its supposed values and hadn't grabbed every possible dollar, this wouldn't be a problem. I don't think anyone argues that there aren't benefits to being a student athlete. The issue comes up when the sports are built into billion dollar businesses and the massive increases in revenue don't filter down to the students.

I don't understand why people who want to keep the current model don't blame the NCAA and schools more, they are the ones that created this situation.

Let's not forget many student volunteer because it's the only way they can afford college.

Cartels do not allow negotiation, and players' compensation is a pittance to what the market would bear. It's pennies on the dollar. The players deserve market rate. They should unionize.

top level college programs dangle the impossible dream of professional athletics to kids to 'volunteer' their labor. also, people like to play sports b/c they're fun and make you popular.

Back