• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Wooden biography

simosfrostyone

Reaction score
Seth Davis has a new book out--it is excerpted in this week's SI. Should be a good read for those who want to know more about someone who actually could coach a little.

You are comparing apples & oranges. The Gilbert story is based on fact. The SI story is based upon subjective opinion. Two entirely different things.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You mean subjective opinions like these:

But his conduct became even worse, Brand said. In the 17 weeks since the school put him on notice, Knight bad-mouthed the administration and alumni, threw a tirade at a female athletic department official in his office and refused to show up at a handful of important IU functions, the school president said.

Knight violated the school's "zero-tolerance" conduct policy by grabbing 19-year-old Kent Harvey by the arm last week to lecture him about manners.

Knight was warned in May about his behavior after an investigation into accusations he choked one of his players during practice in 1997, an act caught on videotape.

Knight has one of the game's most notorious tempers -- throwing chairs across the court, stuffing a fan in a garbage can, scuffling with Puerto Rico police and kicking his own son on the bench.

Last spring, he faced accusations he choked Neil Reed in practice in 1997. Following a school investigation, Knight was warned, suspended for three games and fined $30,000.

I love the way you ignore all the personal boorish and childish actions by Bob Knight but constantly attack Wooden for actions by Gilbert. Show me once where John Wooden threw a full vase at the head of a 60 yo woman. Show me once when John Wooden challenged a diner to a fight in a parking lot of a restaurant. Show me once where John Wooden accosted a UCLA student for some perceived personal slight.

Come on show me.

The funny thing about BFK is that Bob Knight would probably hate him purely based on his politics.

You are comparing apples & oranges. The Gilbert story is based on fact. The SI story is based on fact about my idol who I love more than my own son. Two entirely different things.

FIFY

Serious question, bkf. Would you vote for Bob Knight if he ran for congress representing your district?

My problem with Bobby Knight is that he is a hypocrite that demanded discipline from his players that he himself did not employ. He is an ego-maniac whose behavior is often boorish and childish. He is a bully. He ran a clean program - so what? Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Here he is slandering John Calipari (not that he's a saint, nor am I a JC apologist)
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/28650894

You think that's a serious question? LOL. I support Bob Knight unconditionally....in everything. Sure I would vote for him. I can't believe that you even asked me a question like that.

So assaulting a helpless 60 YO is OK with you.

Remind me again how many times Wooden was even investigated? How many probations?

bkf is a parody right? Very committed, whoever it is.

John Wooden > Coach K > Bob Knight....and it really isn't even all that close.

Bkf is a fucking troll. That said, ill take wooden over knight as a man, as a husband, as a father, and as a coach.

None of you have read Mellen's book. You just parrot what the media has told you about things like Puerto Rico, etc. I'd bet that not a single one of you could tell me what actually happened in Puerto Rico. None of you know what the fuck you are talking about. And RJ is completely full of shit when he says that Bob Knight "assaulted a helpless 60-year old woman". And if he has followed UCLA basketball he has to know that Sam Gilbert did stuff that blatantly violated NCAA rules....while John Wooden just ignorred it and looked the other way. The NCAA eventually barred Gilbert from having any contact with the program.

Let me guess: Mellen's book justifies your worldview. Facts are facts, bkf. If the world was out to get Bob Knight, then he would've been fired in the 80s. That he made it so long and took so little time to violate his zero-tolerance last chance is more telling than any apologist nonsense. By your logic, though, what Sam Gilbert did has no bearing on John Wooden's legacy any more than Bob Knight's utter inability to treat his fellow man with respect and patience has on his.

None of you have read Mellen's book. You just parrot what the media has told you about things like Puerto Rico, etc. I'd bet that not a single one of you could tell me what actually happened in Puerto Rico. None of you know what the fuck you are talking about. And RJ is completely full of shit when he says that Bob Knight "assaulted a helpless 60-year old woman". And if he has followed UCLA basketball he has to know that Sam Gilbert did stuff that blatantly violated NCAA rules....while John Wooden just ignorred it and looked the other way. The NCAA eventually barred Gilbert from having any contact with the program.

I do know that he was given an opportunity to present his side of the story at the trial in Puerto Rico and he chose to not show up. It's not like Puerto Rico is a 3rd world country without a modern legal system. Coward move and shitty way to rep our country

I'd put Dean > Knight

Dean Smith is the most overrated coach in history. He should have won at least 6-8 NC. He's the person most responsible for the flopping epidemic that continues until today. His cowardly Four Corners is why there is a shot clock.

From ABC News - "Knight won three NCAA titles at Indiana and coached the 1984 men’s Olympic basketball team to a gold medal. But his brilliant career has also been marred by several violent outbursts over three decades — from throwing a chair during a game, to allegedly throwing a vase at a university secretary."

Dean Smith is the most overrated coach in history. He should have won at least 6-8 NC. He's the person most responsible for the flopping epidemic that continues until today. His cowardly Four Corners is why there is a shot clock.

Wake was responsible for at least one of those. The 1973 ACC tournament first round game, when a very underdog Wake team beat a national title contender UNC in OT. Court length pass and shot to tie - Eddie Payne to Lee Foye - with a few seconds in regulation. Only the tournament winner went to the NCAA tournament. #1 NC state was ineligible.

Back