• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jonathan Myrick Daniels

RevDeac06

OGBoards Chaplain
Reaction score
Today, in the Episcopal Church, we commemorate Jonathan Myrick Daniels. I'm offering this post because his is a powerful story, but not widely known.

You can read about him on Wikipedia, or in a more churchy setting.

The basics are that he was a seminarian who heeded a call from MLK to go to Selma and ended up staying longer than just one protest and eventually was killed protecting a young girl from a man with a shotgun. King would later say "One of the most heroic Christian deeds of which I have heard in my entire ministry was performed by Jonathan Daniels."

Hope you find his story to be interesting/inspiring.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to read about guys like this who played their role, no matter how small, at such a pivotal part of the CRM.

I think perhaps the key point to me after reading the links is how he saw that simply leaving Selma after such a short time was just not a good option for the community, akin to just showing up and abandoning it.

I've heard programs like Teach for America that service underpriveleged and underfunded areas criticized for similarly entering a community, doing great work, and leaving so shortly after you arrived. Nobody is discounting the good being done, but it's like a band-aid on a gaping wound that is nowhere close to healing.

Thanks again for sharing. Nice story.

Back