• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joseph Kony

It's a brilliant system. Convince people to donate money to get rid of a child-enslaver. Then take most of that money and spend it on producing videos and traveling the country to convince more people to donate more money. All while collecting a nice salary - also paid for by donated money.

Your job is basically done for you. I think I'm in the wrong game.

Watched this last night. My immediate reaction was that I expected more of it to be about Africa and the children there. Instead most of the focus seemed to be on the actions the film maker and IC are doing to raise awareness, and the success of those campaigns. I assume it was calculated? As in, many people can only watch so much of the horror that these children go through before turning away. But the message of spreading the word, and the resulting successes so far, are more empowering and drive people to want to be part of the process.

Or maybe I'm overthinking things.

Either way, it seems disingenuous to focus on Kony as if he was the only one using child soldiers. But, at the same time, focusing on one villain makes it a much cleaner and more effective message. And you can't argue with the results of getting the word out.

As a side note, I thought A Long Way Gone, by Ishmael Beah, was really interesting. (About being a child soldier in Sierra Leone, not Uganda.)

A_Long_Way_Gone.jpg

lB0lY

(I hope thats the right one since its blocked at work, just transcripted from the phone and hoping I got the Is and ls in the URL correct)

Last edited:
Showing up as a broken image, but I wouldn't play around with it trying to get it right. I just switched one of the letters out for an L and ended up with a very NSFW image on my screen.

lB0lY

(I hope thats the right one since its blocked at work, just transcripted from the phone and hoping I got the Is and ls in the URL correct)

YAY!

IB0lY.jpg

Another good, reasoned article about the controversy (and really the nature of controversy and social justice):

Is Kony 2012 Good or Bad?

And a great talk from TED about the danger of having just one story influence our life (good reminder for all discussions of politics, worldviews, etc.):

Either way, it seems disingenuous to focus on Kony as if he was the only one using child soldiers. But, at the same time, focusing on one villain makes it a much cleaner and more effective message. And you can't argue with the results of getting the word out.

As a side note, I thought A Long Way Gone, by Ishmael Beah, was really interesting. (About being a child soldier in Sierra Leone, not Uganda.)

A_Long_Way_Gone.jpg

Powerful book. Should be taught in every middle/high school.

TMZ says they have him on a 5150 hold.

So he had a mental breakdown eh? That video is disturbing.

he looks like a naked duke point guard slapping the floor in that video

Back