• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Josh Brent, killed cowboys teammate while driving drunk, sentenced to 180 days

Meg Menzies says hello. And her 3 children. And Ashland PD husband. I have no problem with DUI deaths carrying a minimum 10 yr sentence.

Not to turn this into an arrogant lawyer speak thread, but how often does a defense like this work? Blaming it on a faulty breathalyzer can't be their best defense, can it?

Well, it didn't work in this case since he was convicted.

But, in cases where there is an incriminating breathalyzer test that is typically the first line of defense if you can show the cop or agency screwed up something with the machine.

As far as the sentence goes, it's clearly very light...but not overly surprising since the victim was the passenger, his friend and the victim's family wanted leniency. In those sorts of cases the sentences tend to be much lighter than if the victim was a complete stranger.

As someone else said, it's often futile to compare these vehicular manslaughter cases and their outcomes becomes the sentences do tend to be all over the map. There are so many variables to it and differing problems of proof that you really have to analyze it on a case by case basis.

Agree that drunk driving endangers everyone. Did not attend the trial, but in handing down the sentence, I assume that the Court received evidence establishing that the death of his friend has caused lifestyle changes for Brent that made the Court believe that he would not drive drunk again. I also understand that Brent could be BSing everyone, and he may drive drunk the day that he completes his 180 day sentence. Hope that Brent has changed his ways and that he will never drive drunk again.
Actually, the prosecution tried to revoke his bond before trial because I think he tested positive for weed and alcohol at least a couple times while he was on home arrest with a monitor. I've always felt the victim's family was supporting him because they've cut a deal and need him back in the NFL for financial reasons.

Back