• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jud Heathcote dies at 90

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Legendary Michigan State Coach Jud Heathcote has died at 90. He won a National Championship with a kid named Earvin Johnson. He was also Tom Izzo's mentor. Jud held lots of camps and trained tons of other coaches.

Jud was a tough guy but also a teddy bear.

RIP Coach.

RIP Jud. He certainly knew how to read the riot act to the refs. Great show.

In Tucson Arizona, during a HOLIDAY tournament I saw him slap a player across the face. He was booed the remaining part of the game. It was in the late 80s.

http://www.espn.com/classic/s/chat_wrap_heathcote.html

Hoops guy: What's your take on the situation at Indiana? Did you and Bob Knight get along?

Jud Heathcote: Bobby Knight and I are close friends. We played 39 times. We won 18 and he won 21. It's disappointing to me. He is a great guy and great coach. And he is a credit to the game of basketball. He has a tremendous record that is being sullied by the actions going on within his program. I hate to see such a great coach go out with so many negatives when he was so positive for the sport of college basketball.

http://www.espn.com/classic/s/chat_wrap_heathcote.html

Hoops guy: What's your take on the situation at Indiana? Did you and Bob Knight get along?

Jud Heathcote: Bobby Knight and I are close friends. We played 39 times. We won 18 and he won 21. It's disappointing to me. He is a great guy and great coach. And he is a credit to the game of basketball. He has a tremendous record that is being sullied by the actions going on within his program. I hate to see such a great coach go out with so many negatives when he was so positive for the sport of college basketball.

Agrees with what many on this board have said all along:
Great coach, great record, but lots of bad "action" and "negatives" which is why some of us don't hold him in high regard as a person.

Agrees with what many on this board have said all along:
Great coach, great record, but lots of bad "action" and "negatives" which is why some of us don't hold him in high regard as a person.

Where does Heathcote's quote "He is a great guy" fit into your analysis of what he said? Heathcote didn't just say that Knight was a great coach, as you insinuated. The actual quote was "He is a great guy and great coach." Heathcote also said that Knight was a "credit to the game of basketball" and that his record "was being sullied by the actions going on within his program". He didn't even specifically say that these actions were attributable to anything that Knight did himself. That quote could be subject to various meanings. It is possible that Heathcote could have been referring to people in the Indiana program who were attempting to discredit Coach Knight as part of a personal vendetta against him. People like Ron Felling, Myles Brand & and the sportswriter father of the kid who supposedly said "What's up, Knight?", just to mention a few of the possibilities.

Last edited:
Back