• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

June 6, 1944

Here's an awesome podcast-primer on the Eastern Front:

HH-30.5-700x700-300x300.jpg

Ghosts of the Ostfront

His series' on WWI (free), the Mongols (free), and the Fall of the Roman Republic (not free) are also quite good (in order of quality, IMO). Also "Prophets of Doom" (free) is super interesting and just 1 episode. The other 1-shot eps are of varying quality.

Obviously everyone would be touched by the war when the war is being fought in your countries, just look at the civilian death totals in that link, so every family over there would have hot takes. Also reasons why Russians dont get the world credit they want. 1. They weren't some beacon of freedom to save Europe they basically got fucked over by Germany and the pact broken. 2. Their military strategy of let anyone and everyone die is not the best strategy in history. 3. Stalin was pretty aggressive and fucked up himself. 4. Postwar and Cold war they became the enemy

I can't figure out why what Vad said is such a hot take. Y'all been on the Tunnels too much.

probably b/c he rams his soviet greatness down our throats at every opportunity

LYLAS, doe, Vlad

My grandfather was in the Third Infantry in World War I and was at the Battle of the Marne. I still have his dress uniform with his ribbons, medals (one purple heart), and insignias, his wide-brimmed "doughboy" helmet, and his gas mask.

There is a cemetery like the one in Normandy outside of Chateau Thierry, the Aisle-Marne Cemetery, where over three thousand American soldiers are buried. Like Normandy, a very moving experience going there.

both grandfathers did. one of the coolest things I own is a giant silk chart of the Pacific that my mom found in her parents' attic when she was moving out her mom. no one had seen it before. it was in perfect condition and since I love maps and WWII history my mom framed it and now it's above my mantle.

I should add that I also have a belt my grandfather took off a dead German soldier in a trench with the Kaiser's emblem and the words "Gott Mit Uns" on it.

I only ever took one class on WWII, but there is a lot of misguided statements in this thread...hitler didn't actually even really want war with france or the UK, destruction in france was kept to a minimum, and despite what english hisotyr textbooks wil tell you, hitler allowed the escape at dunkirk. in every country the war was conducted slightly differently, in the east though hitler saw russians as "barbarians"...and he was going to get his living space for the german people from russian territories. this means he attempted genocide (or at best ethnic cleansing) against the russians as a people with only slightly less vigor than he exterminated jews.

he anhillated civilians and civilian targets w/o discrimination and, in fact, it was a matter of policy. roving death squads operated behind the front to kill (civillian) adult males, rape and then kill women, and enslave children.

Has anyone on this board talked about their sister and mother being grang raped by half a platoon? what about actual family assets destroyed or appropriated while the nazis "foraged"? all crops burned/stolen? house burned? father shot in the back of the head and buried nameless with 50 other people? the youngest chldren in ur family abducted and never heard from again. the family dog eaten by your neighbors down the block due to starvation from endless shelling? Nah you all haven't.

imagine Sherman's march through georgia and south carolina, only difference is nobody that i know of has accused sherman of being genocidal because he wasn't, and he mainly restricted his damage to implements of war. not so in the east. Soviet POWs could expect very different treatment than american or british POWs.

the wars on the western front, in N. africa, and in italy were conducted much more conventionally, following traditional rules of war. atrocities committed on those fronts were the actions of rouge commanders or individual regulars operating of their own accord. not at all a matter of policy (generally speaking). In the east there were no rules.

this is why the red army entered germany with such vengeance and determination. to this day--though distasteful--russians hold parades of their capture of the Reichstag and ultimate victory over germany. we don't, and there is a reason.

Not trying to belittle the heroism, sacrifice, and accomplishments of anybody's relatives in this thread. but if any of you ever visit europe, never talk about any war of any kind to anyone. you'll come off as an ignorant american.

Last edited:
that last sentence is not really true, at all

sure i'm not an expert, but the gist of what i wrote is 100% true. my advice was an extension of common words of wisdom, namely not to discuss politics with people.

Last edited:
Not trying to belittle the heroism, sacrifice, and accomplishments of anybody's relatives in this thread. but if any of you ever visit europe, never talk about any war of any kind to anyone. you'll come off as an ignorant american.

So despite the fact that I have spent time in Europe, double majored in history and anthropology at Wake Forest, did two years of graduate work on a Master's Degree in Military History, worked for 12 years in the National Park Service dealing with Military History and ran a multi-day living history festival that includes German nationals, I will come off as ignorant if I try to discuss any war of any kind if I return to Europe?

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much. Dude took one course on WWII, you should listen up.

So despite the fact that I have spent time in Europe, double majored in history and anthropology at Wake Forest, did two years of graduate work on a Master's Degree in Military History, worked for 12 years in the National Park Service dealing with Military History and ran a multi-day living history festival that includes German nationals, I will come off as ignorant if I try to discuss any war of any kind if I return to Europe?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434080382.381876.jpg

if any of you ever visit europe, never talk about any war of any kind to anyone. you'll come off as an ignorant american.

I find most Europeans are quite uneducated about the Pacific Theater of the War, or really even the Battle of the Atlantic (except for the Brits in that case). WW2 was so vast and so violent and so awful that it's hard for anyone to wrap around it in it's entirety, and while most Americans have an extremely limited understanding of the land war in Europe on the Eastern front, that doesn't make them more or less ignorant about the war as a whole than my European friends who barely know even basic facts of the Pacific conflict.

Back