• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Justice Denied

IamThunderbolt

Reaction score
I recently got to spend an evening with Howell Wotlz, a man who was unjustly imprisoned for 87 months who spent that time working cases Andy Dufresne style for under underprivileged inmates who may also have been unfairly imprisoned. He is releasing a documentary through a grass roots effort about the injustices in the American legal system.

For those interested, here are some links:

Blog about the issue

Kindle version of his book

Documentary Trailer

If you are interested in seeing the full documentary (~15 minutes long), let me know and I get access information to you about it.

I would be interested in seeing the documentary. Sounds fascinating.

Man, Howell Woltz doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. I mean, can't be that serious, right? Jeff [Redacted] has a WP page...

I realize this is from the complainant's side but this really doesn't seem like a Shawshank case.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Dufresne comment was more along the line of Him being a lawyer from the inside like Andy was the accountant, not his incarceration or his case.

Gotcha. Because the more I read about Mr. Woltz and Company, I'm not so sure his hands are completely clean in all this.

Interesting case...is that you or your wife's blog at top?

Without knowing more about it, it's difficult to say one way or the other that he was unjustly incarcerated though (from my opinion at least). I don't believe the prosecution scooped this couple up randomly and charged them with crimes like obstructing civil litigation.

I also don't believe that David Freedman (if it's the same attorney from Winston-Salem) just "stood there" and "refused to defend (Woltz)" at the bond hearing as if it were some sort of massive conspiracy.

Last edited:
http://www.theroot.com/articles/new...ily_plan_20_000_0000_lawsuit_against_nyc.html

In May 2010, Kalief Browder, then 16, was stopped and arrested on a New York street for reportedly stealing a backpack. Browder's family was unable to pay Browder's bail, and although no charges were filed against Browder, he spent some three years in the jail at Rikers Island. While locked away, he endured beatings from prisoners and guards. In total, he spent 800 days in solitary confinement. He was released in May 2013. He killed himself in June 2015.

Damn, I went to MSD with Sam Currin. That makes two guys from my era who went to prison.

edit: I forgot about one...make that three from my era who went to prison.

Last edited:
Back