• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kam Uter - pick #369 MLB Draft

jacketsting

Reaction score
MLB.com has him at #369 to the Angles and ESPN.com has him at #369 to the Dodgers. Either way.. the #369th pick in the 12th round. That may get him a signing bonus offer of around $100,000 and a monthly minor league deal from $1,100 to $2,000 per month. Although I have never been in a position to turn down $ 100,000 I would think that Mr. Uter will do exactly that. He will get his payday soon. The question is whether it comes from the NFL or MLB.

Was he expected to go that high?

Congrats to him. Pretty awesome to get drafted. Pass on this money though and play in college. Would support whatever he decides though.

Originally college football coaches were scared away from Uter because of his love for baseball. Now I think he slipped in the MLB draft because of his newly professed love of football. This kid has huge upside in both sports. Sure is great to have options.

He can sign and still play college football, right?

not likely. contract with mlb would prevent college football. no such thing as a two sport deal anymore, so he can only sign for slot. slot is 100K after 10th round, and any amount counts against bonus pool.

He can be signed overslot, but I'm not sure the Angels are going to have any savings. Saying he's signed in the 12th round so he can only get $100k is patently wrong, though. Teams frequently draft guys in the 10-25 rounds that they throw $1.5m at.

Does anyone with more knowledge of the MLB draft than I know the chances that wake loses either of the 2 Jrs drafted or any of the incoming freshmen (assuming Uter would be the most likely of those 3)

He can be signed overslot, but I'm not sure the Angels are going to have any savings. Saying he's signed in the 12th round so he can only get $100k is patently wrong, though. Teams frequently draft guys in the 10-25 rounds that they throw $1.5m at.

That is not true any more. New CBA makes that really hard. Angels have 5.7 million. So they have to sign their first 10 rounds for that, plus any pick after the 10th round over 100K counts against the bonus. Now teams are trying to take college seniors to pay 10K from 3 - 10 for money later. generally over slots are in round 11. only 5 guys signed in round 12 last year, and highest bonus was 300K.

fyi

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 11m
12th-rder Kam Uter signs w/@Dodgers for $200k. Georgia HS RHP/Wake Forest WR recruit, 6-4/205, 92-94 fastball, athletic. @MLBDraft

So guess that's why we are going for more WR's in our recruiting class then huh?

Strange deal by the Dodgers but what would you expect from a group of guys who paid a billion over value for the Dodgers in the first place. Just seems like if they valued Uter that much they should have taken him in an earlier round and not had to pay for going over slot. Oh well, good luck to Kam Uter.

Back