• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kansas City - what do you know?

AbeFroman

Reaction score
I have a potential job opportunity in Kansas City and I'm looking for some information on the city. Thanks.

They have a Brew to Brew race in the spring. It's 44mi long.

Arthur Bryant's!!!!!!

Quoted for absolute truth. Arthur Bryant's is awesome.

They have a cool bar district called the Power & Light District. Was there for one day back when we played at Nebraska.

The worst part about Missouri, in my opinion, is that it's not easy or cheap to get to either of the coasts. If you're used to being able to get to the beach easily and that's something you enjoy, you'll probably miss it a lot.

Boulevard Brewing Company!!!

Moving from KC right now...headed to GA. Love the area. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Great sports city (records aside, Arrowhead and Kaufmann are awesome). MLS team is good. Downtown is vibrant....the Power and Light District is solid, as is City Market, Union Station, and Legends/Zona Rosa. Good for families as well with a nice zoo, plenty of family stuff, the airport is east to get out of and relatively inexpensive.

Not sure what else you need to know, but we've been here the past two years and are sad to be leaving. Great area with all the amenities.

And Oklahoma Joe's destroys Arthur Bryant's...

Also, did the Brew to Brew...awesome race. Lawrence is close with a decent brewery, but Boulevard is by far the best. Their Smokestack Series will blow you away. Great beer...

Also, did the Brew to Brew...awesome race. Lawrence is close with a decent brewery, but Boulevard is by far the best. Their Smokestack Series will blow you away. Great beer...

The timing of this thread is funny because I was just talking about Kansas City in the running thread today (which is why lbE mentioned Brew to Brew). I am considering running Brew to Brew (solo) and wasn't sure what else there might be to do in the city for a long weekend. Sounds like it wouldn't be a terrible place to visit.

RTQ, I actually thought AbeFroman was your doppelganger when i first posted! Funny timing w/ this thread.

How old are you? Family, kids, etc?

vadtoy grew up in KC and went to KU, and I lived there for a while ... so I can definitely answer a few questions

Running it solo is a bitch. We did it as an 8 man group out of Ft Leavenworth...granted, we were also drinking the entire time. Not a particularly hilly course (minus about 5-6 miles there in the middle), but loooong.

KC is a great town. It's on our short list for places to settle after Uncle Sam...

I spend a week to 10 days in KC each summer grading AP exams & have really enjoyed it each of the 6 yrs we have been there. The Power & Light district has lots of restaurants & bars & there has usually been a band or 2 playing on the outdoor stage.....usally just on the weekends though. Seems like people get more dressed up than usual as they head out to the P&L which seems kinda funny. Boulevard beer is is pretty solid. ArmyDeac given other good info.

Lived in Leavenworth as a kid, but it has changed a helluva lot since then. Seems like it has become bigger and with more stuff to do. The KC area is not flat and boring as people perceive Kansas to be.

There may be a time when I end up back in that area.

Thank for the feedback. A little more information...I'm married with a couple of elementary/middle school age kids so looking for family info as well. Good areas to live? What are the schools like?

Thanks again.

The Sausage King of Milwaukee is leaving for KC? Where's your civic pride man?

Chicago. C'mon man.

Oh goddamn it. For some reason I thought I remembered him being from Milwaukee, even though they're in Chicago. And for someone who's scene that movie 50 times (own it on VHS) that post was embarrasing.

Neg rep away, I deserve it.

Thank for the feedback. A little more information...I'm married with a couple of elementary/middle school age kids so looking for family info as well. Good areas to live? What are the schools like?

Thanks again.

I live here now and can answer some questions. If you want to live close to downtown, KCMO, you are probably going to want to send your kids to catholic school or private school. Public schools on the Missouri side are terrible. Plenty of Kansas suburbs with better public school options.

Can offer some nice neighborhoods, but schools really drive that discussion. Feel free to PM.

Back