• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kauai

BostonDeac

Reaction score
Anyone been? just booked a flight for the end of the June through the 4th of July. Any recommendations or must sees?

They have something somewhat like the Grand Canyon there. That was pretty neat. We took a boat trip on the Napali coast. Gorgeous.

Went for a wedding a few years ago - it was amazing.

There are boat trips available that will take you snorkeling, around the Na Pali Coast, into the caves, etc. I remember it being almost a full day, but so worth it. The Queen's Bath is also very cool; well worth a few hours of your time.

Kauai is pretty sleepy compared to some of the other islands (in a good way) and I remember most of the fun stuff being outdoorsy - hikes, surfing, snorkeling, boat trips, etc.

I would love to go back.

Went with the wife two years ago and did a ton of hiking. We stayed in Hanalei on the north side of the island, which is the more natural and jungle-y side. Hiking along the Na Pali Coast (the Kalalua Trail) is a must, as is the Waimea Canyon. We actually splurged and did a helicopter tour and really enjoyed that.

We had a book when we went that showed us how to get to a bunch of cool trails and waterfalls and things like that. Pretty sure this was it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0981461085/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0963942948&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AZYT51ZZ8Z8QZBVC02P

Anyway, it's an awesome place.

Sidenote: Kauai is also where i saw the Hawaiian Dino Gaudio. Here he is:

2zywifq.jpg

I love Kauai. Since you're going in the summer, I'd stay on the North part of the island. The surf is calmer in the summer up there. The island is fairly small, so you can drive from one end to the other in an hour and a half. Rent a convertible, but not from a discount place as you might stand in line for an hour to get your car. When you land, have one person go to get the car while the other waits for your bags. Make sure the one waiting for the bags has your bag receipts as they tend to check them on Kauai.

Get a copy of "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook - Kauai Revealed" to plan your activities. http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html We picked ours up at Amazon. If by chance the Bali Hai Restaurant has reopened by then, be sure to eat dinner there
13.jpg

Have a meal and a few Mai Tai's at Dukes in Lihue.

Brian Speer is renting a beachfront cottage there, I think.

Honeymooned there in '90. Beautiful. Rent the helicopter.

The tsunami watch tag is pretty funny because when I was vacationing there, they actually DID have a tsunami watch. We were going to hike right along the coast that day and ended up having to change our plan.

I went with my wife and 2 girls (9 and 12) last summer. We loved it.

Points to see.

-Napoli Coast - the boat trip is a must
-Ziplining
-Hanalei - small town on the North coast. Our house was near and we went almost every day. Good restaurants, scuba and surf board rental, bars.
-Several cool waterfalls
- The surf is much bigger on the South side. More touristy but still not much compared to the other islands.
-Go to the St. Regis hotel during the day for a cocktail. The view is great and the hotel is sweet.
-Princeville has 2 spectacular golf courses.
-The Queens Bath is another must do.

Skip the luau unless you can find one that is smaller than the main 2 or 3 that are offered. There were over 1000 at the one we went to. Really expensive cafeteria style food. Pretty cool show however.

PM me with any questions.

GSO

Went with the wife two years ago and did a ton of hiking. We stayed in Hanalei on the north side of the island, which is the more natural and jungle-y side. Hiking along the Na Pali Coast (the Kalalua Trail) is a must, as is the Waimea Canyon. We actually splurged and did a helicopter tour and really enjoyed that.

We had a book when we went that showed us how to get to a bunch of cool trails and waterfalls and things like that. Pretty sure this was it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0981461085/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0963942948&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AZYT51ZZ8Z8QZBVC02P

Anyway, it's an awesome place.

Sidenote: Kauai is also where i saw the Hawaiian Dino Gaudio. Here he is:

2zywifq.jpg

I think this guy was at the luau I mentioned. Where was this picture taken?

Kipu Falls was by far my favorite thing I did there.

Back