• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kevin Steele out at Clemson

To be fair, Wellman/Grobe said the same about Billings and Henry last week.

As kindly as Grobe wanted to couch yesterday’s news that Keith Henry and Tim Billings were no longer on staff, he acknowledged that neither had a choice in the matter.

But he did tell me it was his call and his alone.
What role, I asked, did Athletics Director Ron Wellman play?
“None whatsoever,’’ Grobe said.
So the decision, I pressed, was in no way dictated to you.
“You know better than that,’’ he said. “No, no. No, no. Ron let’s you coach. That’s the best thing about Ron Wellman, he lets you coach your team.’‘

i assume these are the guys clemson is looking at to take his place.

Along with one or two others.....seemed like venables was all hut done, but that has seemed to cool off a little and Shannon rumors are heating up more....either would be much better than steele

As kindly as Grobe wanted to couch yesterday’s news that Keith Henry and Tim Billings were no longer on staff, he acknowledged that neither had a choice in the matter.

But he did tell me it was his call and his alone.
What role, I asked, did Athletics Director Ron Wellman play?
“None whatsoever,’’ Grobe said.
So the decision, I pressed, was in no way dictated to you.
“You know better than that,’’ he said. “No, no. No, no. Ron let’s you coach. That’s the best thing about Ron Wellman, he lets you coach your team.’‘

That was what he told Dan after the official press release that's still posted on the website specifically said "to pursue other opportunities":

1/4/2012
Wake Forest Football Losing Two Assistant Coaches

Wake Forest head football coach Jim Grobe has announced that two coaches are leaving the staff to pursue other coaching opportunities.

But it seems that Clemson is disputing that they were fired. Wake has made it pretty clear that both coaches were fired and were just using semantics on their website.

One thing we can count on in the new Clemson DC: He will bitch and moan that WFU chop blocks. That always seems to be a constant.

Looks like Venables or Shannon. Dabo is a smart dude but effectively a well-paid cheerleader.

Steele in talks with Tennesssee to be LB coach. Lost Lance Thompson to Alabama this morning but would gladly replace him with Steele. Big recruiting upgrade.

Appears to be Venables....

While I'd love to see BV move onto Clemson, the tweets going back and forth while this saga unfolds are freaking ridiculous. That would include ones following Schad's report tonight that he's gone.

While I'd love to see BV move onto Clemson, the tweets going back and forth while this saga unfolds are freaking ridiculous. That would include ones following Schad's report tonight that he's gone.

You're an OU fan, right? So you're not a big Venables fan?

I like it. From what I have gathered, he is a great recruiter, and his experience defending the spread is one of the reasons he was targeted.

You're an OU fan, right? So you're not a big Venables fan?

I like it. From what I have gathered, he is a great recruiter, and his experience defending the spread is one of the reasons he was targeted.

He is a great recruiter, but I question his strength against the spread. However, I think he would do fine in the ACC because it's not a spread offense league. The problem with the BXII is it has become almost an exclusively spread or at least pass-happy league now, and BV's deficiencies were exposed en masse this year with 2 record bad defensive performances and 3 terrible losses. Think of that. Two record setting defensive losses in the span of a few weeks at a school that prides itself on D. Some of it can probably be chalked up to personnel, but he has been responsible for recruiting those personnel and he is not particularly adept at finding linebackers who fit his scheme. He's also a big fan of playing DBs 10 yards off the line of scrimmage.

In short, I think he'll be a good D-coord in the ACC, but I'm glad he's gone from OU, if indeed he is gone. Reports have been inconsistent all day, and I haven't quite gotten anything definitive from the OU message boards as I've just hopped on (they seem to be talking replacements already). His defenses are terribly inconsistent, capable of looking like world beaters one moment and morons the next. The lapses this year were awfully severe, though. I still remember through my drunken haze Stoops going absolutely ballistic on BV and Willie Martinez during that Baylor game when the DBs were picking their nose on each play. It is time for BV to move on. I've been bitching about him for about 5 years or so now. There is a reason he isn't mentioned for head coaching jobs, and it isn't because he is/was some informal HC-in-waiting at OU.

Thanks for the insight ELC. I hope he does well, and I think he will, but playing DBs 10 yards off the line of scrimmage is infuriating. Stopping GT will be a good start....

Back