• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

Right. And that potential to turn things around with new players is the best reason to get a new coach.

Right. And that potential to turn things around with new players is the best reason to get a new coach.

I’ll probably be on board with that after next season.

Or maybe about 2 games into next season, if things go south in a hurry.

If we were hire a new coach, the recruits would be free to transfer without having to sit out a year, right?

If so, the worst thing we could do right now is fire Manning...not that that is a remote possibility. I am marginally excited about Hoard. Best recruit that I can recall in quite a while.

Concerning Woods and his attitude, I realize that things are not always as they appear; but it is a bad sign when college guys show up their teammates for what the consider a bad play. Almost every time Woods made a turnover or was beaten on defense (which was quite often) he would appear to be calling out a teammate as though it was someone's fault and not his. I could care less if pros do that; but college players should not and coaches should not permit it. IMO.

If we were hire a new coach, the recruits would be free to transfer without having to sit out a year, right?

If so, the worst thing we could do right now is fire Manning...not that that is a remote possibility. I am marginally excited about Hoard. Best recruit that I can recall in quite a while.

Concerning Woods and his attitude, I realize that things are not always as they appear; but it is a bad sign when college guys show up their teammates for what the consider a bad play. Almost every time Woods made a turnover or was beaten on defense (which was quite often) he would appear to be calling out a teammate as though it was someone's fault and not his. I could care less if pros do that; but college players should not and coaches should not permit it. IMO.

If we learned one thing from the Dino Era, it’s that coaching personnel decision should be entirely based on who the in coming recruits are for next season.

Woods is low character. Heard his dad didn't let him play football growing up. Think that explains it all.

Woods is low character. Heard his dad didn't let him play football growing up. Think that explains it all.

His dad not letting him play football explains what?

Explains that his dad cared about his son's health?

Explains that his dad saw the possibility of getting hurt would harm or end a potential basketball scholarship?

Please explain...

What a change in attitude for Keyshawn Woods since his arrival here.

Lauded as a team leader in his sit-out/transfer year to moping sandbagger this past season.

Wow.

Lauded as a team leader in his sit-out/transfer year to moping sandbagger this past season.

Wow.

That's what happens when your program has gone through a sustained period of extreme suckitude and you really don't have first hand info.

His dad not letting him play football explains what?

Explains that his dad cared about his son's health?

Explains that his dad saw the possibility of getting hurt would harm or end a potential basketball scholarship?

Please explain...

That was a tired old shot at me, RJ.

Did we lose because things are toxic or were things toxic because we lose?

The first four losses were killers for team chemistry. That set a pattern of desperation that the staff never overcame. It showed itself at the end of games. Some new blood, and purging of last year's roster isn't the worst thing. I don't think we miss Key at all. I do think we miss Doral a lot.

Wow.

that is also a function of message board extremism. The truth is that he probably wasn't a lockerroom leader when he sat out, and that he probably wasn't a team cancer this past year. Probably somewhere in the middle, as are most things.

Yeah. Both are just versions of “wait till next year.”

I think the "free to transfer" that we've seen historically is a courtesy by schools. LOIs are binding to the school, not the coach.

I think the "free to transfer" that we've seen historically is a courtesy by schools. LOIs are binding to the school, not the coach.

Thanks. But is that courtesy still expected to the extent of being almost mandatory in terms of school perception and reputation?

Pure speculation. During the losses to Georgia Southern, Liberty and Drake, over 140 minutes per game were played by Crawford, Childress, Brown, Wilbekin and Woods. The four guard line up. Woods and Brown were expected to match up at SF and PF. Obvious mismatch. All five guards were expected to make up for the rebounding deficiencies. As a team captain, maybe Woods stepped up and questioned the wisdom of this approach and Manning responded by suspending KW for the Quinnipac game and giving his minutes to the bigs. Maybe, just maybe, Woods spoke what many (including me) were thinking. Could that happen?

Pure speculation. During the losses to Georgia Southern, Liberty and Drake, over 140 minutes per game were played by Crawford, Childress, Brown, Wilbekin and Woods. The four guard line up. Woods and Brown were expected to match up at SF and PF. Obvious mismatch. All five guards were expected to make up for the rebounding deficiencies. As a team captain, maybe Woods stepped up and questioned the wisdom of this approach and Manning responded by suspending KW for the Quinnipac game and giving his minutes to the bigs. Maybe, just maybe, Woods spoke what many (including me) were thinking. Could that happen?

Hot take alert! I am sure that Woods questioned Manning giving the guards (ie: himself) extra playing time. Probably the worst speculation I have seen in a long time (and I spend time on the politics board).

Set the program back another year but get the services of an exciting one-and-done on the way to a 14 win season. Hmmm.

The first four losses were killers for team chemistry. That set a pattern of desperation that the staff never overcame. It showed itself at the end of games. Some new blood, and purging of last year's roster isn't the worst thing. I don't think we miss Key at all. I do think we miss Doral a lot.

This 1,000 percent...I won't miss Key one bit. Horrible attitude evidenced on the floor with other teammates, absolutely no defense, and slow as hell. It was painful watching him run down the court looking like an old man. Half the time the whole team would be on offense and he'd still be trudging in backcourt or so it felt like. Doral will definitely be missed but I believe Sarr is going to take a huge leap this next year. I am still cautiously excited about Hoard and Mucius making big impacts next year. Brown will burst out next year as well. IF crawford comes back I really think we'll be average....That is if Manning actually plays the best players the most.

Back