• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kicking harder in College???

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
Why it is they make kicking harder in college than they do in the NFL? Of course, I've always thought field goal kicking is harder in college because of the wider hash marks that create more severe angles. Years ago this was negated by the wider goal posts used in college and the use of a tee, but then college went to the same width goal posts as the NFL and did away with the tee. Now, the NFL has gone back to kicking off from the 35 yard line which is leading to tons of touchbacks, but the NCAA is still kicking off from the 30 yard line. That just seems kind of strange, since the other sports seem to add a higher level of difficulty in the pros, such as the NBA 3 pt line being longer than college or the use of wooden bats in professional baseball as opposed to aluminum bats in college. Not really a bid deal or anything, but it is interesting.

The reason the kickoffs are closer is to prevent injuries.

It's far more difficult to kick FGs in the pros- no tees and narrower goal posts-polus better players trying to block them.

It's far more difficult to kick FGs in the pros- no tees and narrower goal posts-polus better players trying to block them.

No, college hasn't used tees in about 2 decades at least and the goal posts have been same width in college as the pros for probably that long as well. :confused: That was what I was saying about FG's, the rules are the same in both except it is more difficult in college because of the angle the wider hash marks create. As far as better players trying to block the kick, you've also got better players trying to keep that from happening.

Last edited:
The more severe angles definitely make converting college field goals more difficult. I've never really understood the need for different hashmarks and number (yard line) placements. Don't really care which they keep. Just don't see the need for two systems. Especially since the NFL is on board with college football being their minor league system.

The hashmarks make huge differences in how offenses operate - you have a true "short" and "field" side in college you don't have in the pros. Offenses like GT's and Oregon's love to exploit those areas - it's a big boon to option football.

Lol what?

No question the hashmarks creates a big difference in college offenses. Just don't see the need for two different sets of rules.

Pretty sure the goal posts are the same name, RJ. And college doesn't use tees for field goals since about 1983 ...

Even Ray Charles can see that you know nothing about kicking in today's college football world.

No question the hashmarks creates a big difference in college offenses. Just don't see the need for two different sets of rules.
they are further out in high school (in NC anyway). Divides the field up into even thirds.

I've always thought the difference in hash marks was to prevent injury since the closer they are to the sidline the more likely a play is to end by going out of bounds. I don't know that it is true, but it kind of makes sense.

Why it is they make kicking harder in college than they do in the NFL?

College football game - football
NFL football game - 3.5 hour gambling event with commercials

I really think they made it easier so that scores are more predictable.

There is also definitely a need to have the ball closer to the middle of the field on plays from scrimmage. NFL guys are too big and fast to make the boundary side of the field as short as it is in college. I'm not sure how it should work. Maybe if your play ends outside the "college" hash and you're lining up with a kicker you have to leave it out there but if you line up in a non-kicking formation you can move it in? Too much of an admin problem.

Back