• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

King of Sunset Strip dies

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Mario Maglieri, who was often called the King of the Sunset Strip died yesterday at 93. He owned the Whiskey, Roxy and Rainbow.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/...sunset-strip-whisky-go-go-rainbow-1202410938/

Over the years, Mario allowed many bands to live in the "apartment" above the Whiskey. Janis Joplin crashed there. Motley Crue lived there. The Doors were the house band. The 40th Anniversary party was a blast.

Mario fed lots of musicians who couldn't afford to pay.

Deac83, AZDeac and others have joined me for dinner and drinks at the Rainbow. At one point, Joey Buttafuoco was the bouncer.

Lots of great memories at the Rainbow and Roxy. The most recent show I saw at the Roxy was John Legend.

Deep into his 80s. Mario would sit at an outside table looking at Sunset and smoking a big cigar. He and his wife Scarlett would show up for dinner a lot when they were in town.

I'm not sure if it's an urban legend or not, but the Rainbow was one of the first places to have a $5 milk shake. According to several people. Mario did it for his grand kids. Being Mario, the shakes are still made with Hagen Dasz ice cream.

I hope the kids and grand kids circle around Scarlett. I've got to think that she and Mario were married for sixty years or more.

RIP Mario, there will never be another one like him.

On a somewhat related note, I'm moving to WeHo for the summer next week. RJ, give me some recommendations on things to do/eat/drink.

I've never been to Disneyland, only Disneyworld.

I don't get the bit about the ice cream. Being Mario, they use a well known brand?

Hagen Dasz is a well known brand of premium ice cream. Expensive to use in milkshakes. Usually milkshakes use cheaper ice cream and bury it under the flavorings.

I thought Rodney Bingenheimer was the King of the Sunset Strip.

Edit: Nope, Rodney was the Mayor of said strip.

Back