• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kitchen Knife Rec Needed

timdunkandthefunk

Rusty Larue
Reaction score
I'm not really looking for a set, just one nice knife that I can use to cut both meat (pork chops, sausage, chicken breasts....nothing too large) and dice veggies. Anyone have a good suggestion? Do I need to buy two different ones?

I'm not really looking for a set, just one nice knife that I can use to cut both meat (pork chops, sausage, chicken breasts....nothing too large) and dice veggies. Anyone have a good suggestion? Do I need to buy two different ones?

Wusthof Classic 8" would do all those tasks and more. I have that and a Shun 8" chef's knife. The Wusthof is a little sturdier and what I would use on meat, as I use the Shun almost exclusively for veggies, but the Wusthof does those just fine as well. If you're looking to get just one I would go for this. The Wusthof Grand Prix line is good as well, just do not get their Gourmet line...cheap stuff.

Pretty much the only knives you *need* are a good chef's, a paring, and a serrated knife for things like bread. But I would say I use my chef's knives 95% of the time. I would like to invest in a nice boning one at some point, but I've gotten along fine without it. Most knife sets have some useless knives.

Get yourself a somewhat cheap knife set that includes several steak knives and a serrated bread knife, along with the usual suspects that go with that. And then pony up the $$ for a great 8" chef's knife. I like to cook a lot, and that's what I have - a cheap set and 1 of those German Henkel chef's knives. I use that for most everything in terms of meat and vegetable prep.

you can probably get by with a 6" if the 8" is too expensive or seems unwieldy. I have a 6" santoku and a 6" chefs; the santoku is generally superior for veggies.

also i'd suggest NOT skimping on a set and getting a nice big knife. a shitty steel paring knife that won't hold its edge is dangerous and frustrating.

just buy a nice chef's knife and a nice paring knife and a good bread knife. I have a 'utility knife' that is a serrated blade about the size of a steak knife that i find to be handy as well.

Big Shun fan here. I have the Shun classic western chef knife.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-classic-western-chefs-knife/

And my go to is a now-discontinued but still available online Shun Ken Onion.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-ken-onion

12436.jpg

Tojiro DP Gyuto. No real reason to pay for Shun unless you're a high end chef who's going to take care of it.

If you want a chopping knife, you'll need something different.

I own almost a complete set of Wusthof Knives and nearly a complete set of Shun knives. In my opinion the Shun is the best choice. Both brands are great, a Shun feels better in my hand and is easier to sharpen/ holds its edge a little longer in my experience.

I really like this one (mine is not the hollow ground model): http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...n&cm_src=knives-shun||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

That said, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 10 inch shun chefs knife, just because. I use my 6 inch chefs knife for most tasks right now (works great on meat, fish, and vegetables).

The santoku was my first Shun, and it is a wonderful knife. I have used it for most kitchen tasks. Here is a good set with which you can do about anything you need to do in the kitchen:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...n&cm_src=knives-shun||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

If you go with Wusthof, Shun, Henckels, or even Global (if that style appeals to you/ works in your hand) I think you will be very pleased.

Get ya a nice Santoku knife. I've got a few and use them all the time for about everything.

Good advice here. I use the 8" chefs knife all the time. Make sure the handle feels comfortable. That was a big deal for us and really makes cutting easier.

I'm actually taking a knife skills class this weekend at a local cooking school. My wife looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I was bringing my own knife.

Good advice here. I use the 8" chefs knife all the time. Make sure the handle feels comfortable. That was a big deal for us and really makes cutting easier.

I'm actually taking a knife skills class this weekend at a local cooking school. My wife looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I was bringing my own knife.

she's weird

Wusthof Classic 8" would do all those tasks and more. I have that and a Shun 8" chef's knife. The Wusthof is a little sturdier and what I would use on meat, as I use the Shun almost exclusively for veggies, but the Wusthof does those just fine as well. If you're looking to get just one I would go for this. The Wusthof Grand Prix line is good as well, just do not get their Gourmet line...cheap stuff.

Pretty much the only knives you *need* are a good chef's, a paring, and a serrated knife for things like bread. But I would say I use my chef's knives 95% of the time. I would like to invest in a nice boning one at some point, but I've gotten along fine without it. Most knife sets have some useless knives.

I have a full Wusthof set, and I think they are really nice knives. I agree that you really would only need one (such as the 8") to accomplish the tasks you listed.

Get ya a nice Santoku knife. I've got a few and use them all the time for about everything.

Santoku's used almost entirely for chopping. I have one, but don't use it as much as I'd like because a chef's knife is more versatile.

Some recommend using a small cleaver instead, but a santoku looks way sexier.

you're def not going to be wanting to break down a bird with a santoku, though

FWIW, I do love my fish filet / de-boning knife. We eat a lot of fish and its very helpful...

Back