• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kiwanis Club vs. Rotary

wontb0ckmethrice

Reaction score
Kiwanis Club or Rotary

Which is better? Which has harder pledging? Which is more elite? Which has a d0per Christmas party?

The Winston Kiwanis Club puts on the annual Pancake Jamboree.

Edge: Kiwanis

I would say Rotary. It's cool to accidentally get overserved at the Christmas Party. Just make sure you call a babysitter and get the wife to DD.

I am a Rotarian and have thoroughly enjoyed it. We believe in Service Above Self and donate to many causes locally, nationally and internationally. All of the money we raise goes directly to charity. Our parties are a lot of fun and there are always DD's available. I have met some great friends over the years as well. If you ever want to come visit a meeting, PM me and be my guest. Also, come to our golf tournament on 5/23 at Oak Valley.

Seriously, you can join before you're 60? I always thought they were organizations for old people.

Seriously, you can join before you're 60? I always thought they were organizations for old people.

Yes you can. I am the youngest in mine. We have members who are 90+ in the club who still come to the weekly meeting.

It depends on the city. Nationally I don't think theres a difference in prestige, but one is more prestigeous than the other in many cities.

I'm a Kiwanian. Where I live, Rotary was always bigger but Kiwanis was the first to allow women as full-fledged members. As a result, we had some smoking-hot women in Kiwanis. All the local loan officers and administrators and non-profit women. When Rotary finally caught up and allowed women, the only ones they could get were either old or fat. Advantage Kiwanis.

As for alcohol consumption / Christmas parties, the Rotary Christmas party has the old dudes taking underpriviledged children on a shopping trip to WalMart. Alcohol-free. The Kiwanis Christmas party, on the other hand, is simply a dinner at the golf course clubhouse, so a cash bar is available. Nobody overdoes it, thought. Since the Rotarians are such do-gooders, I'd say thats a draw.

As for community service, Rotary spends all their money on scholarships and the local Sister-City program with Japan. Kiwanis, on the other hand sponsors the local Chrismas parade, child literacy programs, gives free books (retired library books) away at various public places, and reads to the kindergarten classes at the local schools every week. Kiwanis also has scholarships, but half as many as Rotary. Advantage Kiwanis.

As for strictness, dues are about the same. But if you miss a Rotary meeting you have to attend another Rotary meeting in another town or you are assessed a monetary fine. If you miss a Kiwanis Club meeting, everybody is cool with that as long as you pay your dues. But Rotary has tons more members who attend every meeting. I'd say thats a draw.

In my quarterly review today it was suggested I join one of these two.

Boog is Kiwanian. Advantage Rotary.

I was in Key Club, it was fun.

Gotta visit both. I for one am looking forward to turning 70 and being in Lions Club.

Logo_MooseLodgeBronze_original.jpg

Be civic minded if you want or just socialize.

It depends on the city. Nationally I don't think theres a difference in prestige, but one is more prestigeous than the other in many cities.

I'm a Kiwanian. Where I live, Rotary was always bigger but Kiwanis was the first to allow women as full-fledged members. As a result, we had some smoking-hot women in Kiwanis. All the local loan officers and administrators and non-profit women. When Rotary finally caught up and allowed women, the only ones they could get were either old or fat. Advantage Kiwanis.

As for alcohol consumption / Christmas parties, the Rotary Christmas party has the old dudes taking underpriviledged children on a shopping trip to WalMart. Alcohol-free. The Kiwanis Christmas party, on the other hand, is simply a dinner at the golf course clubhouse, so a cash bar is available. Nobody overdoes it, thought. Since the Rotarians are such do-gooders, I'd say thats a draw.

As for community service, Rotary spends all their money on scholarships and the local Sister-City program with Japan. Kiwanis, on the other hand sponsors the local Chrismas parade, child literacy programs, gives free books (retired library books) away at various public places, and reads to the kindergarten classes at the local schools every week. Kiwanis also has scholarships, but half as many as Rotary. Advantage Kiwanis.

As for strictness, dues are about the same. But if you miss a Rotary meeting you have to attend another Rotary meeting in another town or you are assessed a monetary fine. If you miss a Kiwanis Club meeting, everybody is cool with that as long as you pay your dues. But Rotary has tons more members who attend every meeting. I'd say thats a draw.

You can make up missed Rotary meetings online. You just need to attend a reasonable % of meetings. Rotary and Kiwanis are great organizations in small cities. They do good work and provide great networking. Rotary has changed dramatically over the past 20 years. Membership used to be limited by job classification so that there were only so many bankers, insurance agents, attorneys and such.

Back