• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Know anything about SCUBA certification?

bigdoublezero

Reaction score
My fiancee and I are thinking about learning how to dive, but we're complete noobs. Know absolutely nothing about diving.

We found this Groupon for an SSI Open-Water Diver Certification Course for $189.

Is this a good deal? One classroom session + two pool sessions + an open-water dive. Is that really enough training to learn how to scuba dive?

The goal is to be able to go diving on our vacation to Indonesia this September.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

i'm also currently looking at getting certified because our honeymoon is in the bahamas. i looked at a similar living social deal, and it looks like they have the same disclaimer that you have to buy a lot of the gear yourself. i'd suggest looking at how much it'll cost to buy that. one of the places in charlotte that i looked at included absolutely everything you needed for a total of $400 (and that appeared to be pretty in-line with what others were offering too), so if you can't get all of that gear for less than $200, then that deal isn't nearly as good of a deal as it seems like.

I took a NAUI class at UVa that was about $400 or $500 as a student. It was two weekends and two Wednesday nights with an open water dive the second weekend.

However we got cleavland stated the night before the open water dive and it was snowing that morning so I never did the dive.

I've had my eye out for a group on for awhile.

My class did not include the gear and it is expensive.

Any second now, the boards loveable manatee 94deac will come swimming up with a wealth of information.

My fiancee and I are thinking about learning how to dive, but we're complete noobs. Know absolutely nothing about diving.

We found this Groupon for an SSI Open-Water Diver Certification Course for $189.

Is this a good deal? One classroom session + two pool sessions + an open-water dive. Is that really enough training to learn how to scuba dive?

The goal is to be able to go diving on our vacation to Indonesia this September.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

Yes - diving is easy. The only thing you need to learn is read the gauges. There are multiple levels, the beginner will allow you to go 30 feet down, not much that you can do to hurt yourself in that shallow of water.

If you go down to any island in the caribbean they take out anyone after a 30 minute pool session.

SSI training tends to be shorter/more limited than PADI from what I can tell. Maybe 'less structured' is a better term. They both produce knowledgeable drivers. Many swear by SSI over PADI. I was trained through PADI years ago, so I have no idea but I seem to remember more classroom time to go along with 3 pool dives and an open water check out dive. Both are recognized around the world, so certification through either will be recognized no matter where you go.

Last edited:
I'm a Padi instructor. It's the most well known, but SSI and Naui are good too. Yes, the class is only $200 but that probably doesn't include your mask, fins and snorkel or your checkout dives. Expect to spend $500 to $600 total but it lasts a lifetime.

You can do the elearning with Padi and not have to go to a weekly class. It's online reading and videos.

You can get the mask, fins and snorkel online if you find them too expensive at the shop. However I would recommend buying the mask at the shop. They really need to be tried on to ensure the seal. Maybe just buy the fins and snorkel online.

First of all, thanks for everyone's input so far.

As far as the gear goes, we were hoping to travel really light on our trip. Is it a terrible idea to rent the gear wherever we're going to dive instead of buying our own stuff and schlepping it around the world?

But does the cost of renting gear here in the US during our class make that a stupid move?

It sounds as if the mask is fairly important -- should we buy that and rent the rest?

Again, thanks for everyone's input so far.

If you are going for long term investment, get the fins that you wear booties with. That way you can do cold or warm water diving. However, if you want to travel light, just take the mask with you. They will likely have full heel fins that you can wear on your dives. I am assuming you are going somewhere warm. Nobody ever just lends you masks though so you will need your own.. esp for fit.

Definitely don't pay more than $20 for a snorkel. You will never use it once you complete the class. Leisurepro is a great online store.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_954/Snorkels/959.html#!1

Definitely don't pay more than $20 for a snorkel. You will never use it once you complete the class.

Except when making shore entry swimouts or when following a tag line foward to a buoy rope. I have a 20 yr old $10 Mares snorkel that I always keep in my wetbag when boat diving off a downline. No sense burning through your gas for a surface swim.

Kind of steep on their rental rates for the open water dives. Locally in Raleigh I paid 300 for a class that included everything but the mask/snorkel/fins. I strongly recommend getting the booties to go with your fins. I prefer the open heeled fins though. You'll want your own mask b/c everyone likes a different mask. If you are visually impaired I would look into a mask with prescription lenses. Reason being, if you have a lens wash out of your eye at 100', you're kind of screwwed.

Back