• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe is a Homophobe

He's definitely not the first guy to use the phrase on an NBA basketball court, and it's pretty obvious he didn't mean it with any gay connotations, but it doesn't change what the word is.

I think it's sort of weird to call that word a homophobic slur. It's just insensitive, but I guess I can see why it gets labeled homophobic.

He made what is clearly a mistake in that context simply because he's a public figure on TV and he seems to be owning up to it, so good for him.

the word has definitely taken on a new meaning. but, try and tell that to gay people who get called fags every day. the fact is that, while many people use it in a different way, the word is still incredibly charged and hurtful to a lot of gay people. is it worth a $100,000 fine? debatable. does it mean kobe is a homophobe? not necessarily. it's just insensitive to an entire community, one that (despite stereotypes) watches sports. to say that any association between that word and homosexuality is gone really just isnt true.

the word has definitely taken on a new meaning. but, try and tell that to gay people who get called fags every day. the fact is that, while many people use it in a different way, the word is still incredibly charged and hurtful to a lot of gay people. is it worth a $100,000 fine? debatable. does it mean kobe is a homophobe? not necessarily. it's just insensitive to an entire community, one that (despite stereotypes) watches sports. to say that any association between that word and homosexuality is gone really just isnt true.

Said it a lot better than I could. Pos rep.

Geez, way to get all faggy about it.

Louis CK does a great bit on that word. Basically says that kids say it all the time and then one day find out what it really means and are like "REALLY?"

South Park also had a classic episode on it. It officially describes people who drive Harley Davidsons now, in case you didn't know.

Finally, I realize that it is insensitive to homosexuals, but using it doesn't make you a homophobe.

Fill in the blank:
1) Nigger
2) Spic
3) Jew
4) Towel Head
5) Asshole

I put the last one in there so you have something to call me too. Of course, "asshole" doesn't mean what it used to.:wtfgay:

what about fatass?

Louis CK does a great bit on that word. Basically says that kids say it all the time and then one day find out what it really means and are like "REALLY?"

South Park also had a classic episode on it. It officially describes people who drive Harley Davidsons now, in case you didn't know.

Finally, I realize that it is insensitive to homosexuals, but using it doesn't make you a homophobe.

The Louis CK bit rips off a Chris Rock bit from a few years prior.

Fill in the blank:
1) Nigger
2) Spic
3) Jew
4) Towel Head
5) Asshole

Dallas Sports Radio this morning was talking about this. Why the NBA will fine Kobe for calling the ref a fag, but not for players using any of the words above, specifically 1.

Put me in the camp that thinks it makes him incredibly insensitive, but not necessarily homophobic.

Seriously, if you use the word faggot you're a homophobe?

Fine him and move on. Send the message that it is not an acceptable word to throw around at people, but no need to turn this particular instance into a social revolution.

Dallas Sports Radio this morning was talking about this. Why the NBA will fine Kobe for calling the ref a fag, but not for players using any of the words above, specifically 1.

Do players use that word on the court?

Charlie Villanueva got in a fight, rushed the floor, and had to be restrained in the locker room (twice) earlier this week. He apparently said that he will "kill" Ryan Hollins.

He got suspended 5 games without pay, meaning he loses around $450k.

Back