• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Koch Brothers lies kill Columbus Zoo expansion

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Here is the mailer they sent out. The big complaint is the misinformation claiming a 105% increase on their property taxes, when in fact it's only a 105% increase on the previous zoo levy that was in place. Residents were paying $21 for every 100k in assessed value, and the renewal of this levy called for $44/100k in assessed value.

My personal thought is how fucking stupid are voters who fall for this shit? I mean, this thing OVERWHELMINGLY failed, so I'm left to wonder if this mailer really turned the tide or if this levy was going to fail anyway.

gorilla2.jpg

koch-mailer-638x419.jpg

It's tough to read the back. The parts I can figure out are:

VOTE NO ON ISSUE 6
A 105% Property Tax Increase for Franklin County Residents

Columbus has some of the highest property taxes in the nation.

Now Franklin County residents face yet another tax hike.

This time, a 105% property tax increase that will force taxpayers to fund a third area zoo.

unreadable

Issue 6 increases property taxes for Franklin County residents by 105%, hurting the disabled and elderly who own their homes but live on fixed incomes.

unreadable

My personal thought is how fucking stupid are voters who fall for this shit? I mean, this thing OVERWHELMINGLY passed, so I'm left to wonder if this mailer really turned the tide or if this levy was going to fail anyway.
It overwhelmingly failed didn't it? A poll that started about the time the mailers were going out was already 55-36 against. The flier was a waste of time and money. Making the levy permanent (unnecessary) and adding a third zoo during economically tough times (luxury not needed), with another county not ponying up a portion (fairness), is what killed the thing.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=1878ab02-18e8-466d-8589-79325c6d7748

It overwhelmingly failed didn't it? A poll that started about the time the mailers were going out was already 55-36 against. The flier was a waste of time and money. Making the levy permanent (unnecessary) and adding a third zoo during economically tough times (luxury not needed), with another county not ponying up a portion (fairness), is what killed the thing.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=1878ab02-18e8-466d-8589-79325c6d7748

Typo on my part. It failed.

Yeah I'm not sure I get the huff and puff here, rj. It's annoying that the Kochs keep meddling all over the country in small elections, but this specific case is one that didn't need any help. It was a disingenuous and misleading flyer campaign, sure, but that's politics.

My dad lives in Columbus, has a membership to the zoo, is a Democrat, and voted against this. It didn't make sense.

It's not a luxury when the zoo is the only reason tourists come to Columbus. It's an asset that they have to keep up as one of the top zoos in the country.

I like how the Koch brothers get blamed for everything. I literally LOLed when I saw this thread.

My favorite are the little pictures on Facebook that try to sum up political issues with a soundbyte. There was one I saw that said the Koch brothers were buds with all the Nazis they could find who shared the surname Koch.

The Koch Brothers proved again they will go to any election and tell any lie they want to get the outcome they desire.

The Koch Brothers proved again they will go to any election and tell any lie they want to get the outcome they desire.

I too am tired of their monkey business.

(1) The zoo had previously passed a 10 year, $750k levy
(2) Rather than just renew the levy, the zoo decided to pursue a 66% higher levy
(3) The zoo admitted that the higher levy was "aggressive" in size and scope
(4) The higher levy would renovate the existing zoo and build a "satellite" zoo, because a town like Columbus needs two zoos. The total cost for the planned renovations was over $750 million.
(5) The higher levy would also be permanent and take away the taxpayer's ability to decide on future funding issues for the zoo. So if the $750 million estimate was low (and it probably was) then there would be no mechanism to stop the money flow.
(6) The levy would have been paid by residents of Franklin County, Ohio.
(7) The zoo is in Delaware County
(8) Delaware County residents would not pay anything towards the permanent levy
(9) The zoo spent $700k on their campaign for the higher levy
(10) The Koch brothers' group spent $20k on their mailings

The levy was defeated with almost 70% people voting against it

(1) The zoo had previously passed a 10 year, $750k levy
(2) Rather than just renew the levy, the zoo decided to pursue a 66% higher levy
(3) The zoo admitted that the higher levy was "aggressive" in size and scope
(4) The higher levy would renovate the existing zoo and build a "satellite" zoo, because a town like Columbus needs two zoos. The total cost for the planned renovations was over $750 million.
(5) The higher levy would also be permanent and take away the taxpayer's ability to decide on future funding issues for the zoo. So if the $750 million estimate was low (and it probably was) then there would be no mechanism to stop the money flow.
(6) The levy would have been paid by residents of Franklin County, Ohio.
(7) The zoo is in Delaware County
(8) Delaware County residents would not pay anything towards the permanent levy
(9) The zoo spent $700k on their campaign for the higher levy
(10) The Koch brothers' group spent $20k on their mailings

The levy was defeated with almost 70% people voting against it

Just when I thought the Koch brothers could go no lower in their dastardly plan to destroy America, they go and do something like this. Have you no shame, gentlemen?

why would you put satellites in a zoo? shouldn't they build a museum instead? thanks, obama

rj reads talking points from some left wing news source. Runs here to parrot them.

Doesn't the Columbus Zoo charge admission? Could we not just ask the zoo-going public to invest a little more in each visit they make to the zoological gardens of Columbus? Some homeowners of the area may not want their taxes raised to benefit gawkers of caged animals.

Back