• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Koch Money Brings Distress Over WFU Well-Being Institute

has the faculty just now noticed that capitalism buys buildings and professors and influence on campus? They're not preaching social justice and communism in that gigantic monument to money known as Farrell Hall. Nobody seems to have a problem with the agenda they're selling over there.

I feel like it's a Koch trap by propping up ridiculous institutes then allowing them to go back and point to said institutes as ridiculous and what's wrong with higher education. I mean the institute of happiness, come on.

TITCR

It would be hilarious if they returned the money and axed about 10 professors as a result.

This is why Trump won.

So hilarious that professor jobs would linked to pursuing a political agenda.

So the key to happiness is to avoid working with people that have opinions differen tthan yourself. Got it.

Pretty much.

I.T.T. Intellectual segregationists decry the intolerance of others.

Pretty much.

Are the intellectual segregationists the ones suggesting that firing faculty over ideology is funny or not?

I'm trying to keep up with your latest floor routine!

George Soros, Art Pope, the Koch Bros, and countless other rich assholes and their political action comittees want to stick their fingers everywhere and buy access and influence in every realm of society...

Pretty much.

...and when it gets pointed out they turn the conversation into a bitch fest over free speech

Late capitalism be like: "rejecting money is segregation and intolerance"

Are the intellectual segregationists the ones suggesting that firing faculty over ideology is funny or not?

I'm trying to keep up with your latest floor routine!

Ask your Republican colleagues what they think.

Ask your Republican colleagues what they think.

I have a few of them and I know that they aren't Koch fans. We all get along, read each other's work, etc. I rarely recognize your version of the academy, to be honest with you. UNC in the 90s must have been an awful intellectual environment!

I was asking you what you think, however, especially as you coined this neologism "intellectual segregationist."

I have a few of them and I know that they aren't Koch fans. We all get along, read each other's work, etc. I rarely recognize your version of the academy, to be honest with you. UNC in the 90s must have been an awful intellectual environment!

I was asking you what you think, however, especially as you coined this neologism "intellectual segregationist."

What's the breakdown: 50/50?

Eta: I think being a conservative on a college campus is great training for parenthood. Imagine being at Duke when 88 members of the faculty are lining up to tee off on a guy who can produce a time-stamped videotape made by a third party that confirms his alibi. It's good training.

Last edited:
Keep your bullshit to the politics board, counselor.

Everyone take note of how JHMD has changed subjects from Koch brothers donation money to hypothetical conservative professors.

Intellectual Segregationists would be a great name for a retro-punk band.

I'm not familiar with politics within universities, but it just sounds very unusual for faculty from one department to apply pressure to have the classes a professor teaches not count toward academic credit. For those on this board that are in academia, (1) is this action fairly common or uncommon, and what circumstances have you seen it applied in, and (2) in your opinion is that action appropriate in this case? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Everyone take note of how JHMD has changed subjects from Koch brothers donation money to hypothetical conservative professors.

There is no need to re-prove the first point. Being correct the first time was satisfaction enough.

There is no need to re-prove the first point. Being correct the first time was satisfaction enough.
Always entertaining watching jhmd navigate a political thread
neo-dodging-bullets.gif

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with politics within universities, but it just sounds very unusual for faculty from one department to apply pressure to have the classes a professor teaches not count toward academic credit. For those on this board that are in academia, (1) is this action fairly common or uncommon, and what circumstances have you seen it applied in, and (2) in your opinion is that action appropriate in this case? Thanks in advance for your responses.

WFC faculty have a serious chip on their shoulder with respect to the business school. They would certainly raise all kinds of hell if there was pressure in the other direction.

Back