• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Korean War Over

Not sure what this means. What I am sure of is that shifting responsibility to Russia to remove/destroy Syria’s chemical stockpile and claiming they were all gone when they weren’t wasn’t the nececessary response by the Obama administration.

Obama dropped 12,000 bombs on Syria in 2016 alone, following the chemical weapons use... he just did it quietly and didn't forewarn the enemy via twitter, that is what I meant.

Obama dropped 12,000 bombs on Syria in 2016 alone, following the chemical weapons use... he just did it quietly and didn't forewarn the enemy via twitter, that is what I meant...

The policy is essentially the same, Assad uses chemical weapons, then we bomb him, he lays off for a while but then uses them again, so we bomb him...what is so dramatically different about that other than Trump tells Assad and Putin, via Twitter, that he is about to drop bombs and they'd better watch out?

I think we’re talking about 2 different things here. I’m talking about the use of our military against a country with Assad, a brutal dictator. You appear to be addressing Obama’s use of our military against ISIS, a radical death cult that acquired territory in more than one country that we’re trying to completely eliminate. We don’t care who is leading the radical death cult because we are trying to rid the world of all of them.

Unless I missed it and Obama attacked Assad, it’s not close to the same thing. Kim’s been watching how we deal with Assad because Kim’s a brutal dictator like Assad. Other than monitoring our military, I’d guess he cares a lot less, if at all, about what we do with ISIS.

Obama dropped 12,000 bombs on Syria in 2016 alone, following the chemical weapons use... he just did it quietly and didn't forewarn the enemy via twitter, that is what I meant.

Except the fact that Barack and McCain were backing the jihadist rebels. Trump and Mattis whipped that element and then annihilated the “un-affiliated” Russian mercenary contingent.

Try to keep up

its an incredible leap to try to draw a correlation between syria & NK.

They could also be doing this to show they don't need Trump and that our influence in the region is falling dramatically due to Trump.

And yet Trumpites do it in a single bound. To listen to them on social media this morning, Trump is indeed the Prince of Peace.

Fact is that both countries have brutal dictatorships and one or more ancestors of the current leaders got power decades ago that the current leaders are fighting to maintain. Further, both are propped up by world superpowers. Assad has Russia, Kim has China.

Just because both are not experiencing the exact same thing doesn't mean that it's an "incredible leap" to compare the two. To think Kim hasn't been closely following what's been going on with Assad is to presume Kim's an idiot, which he clearly is not.

It does bother me that a lot of the discussion on both sides is about who deserves credit and taking shots at people. Seems like some, possibly most, who are not directly involved in, or directly impacted by, the matter care little about what has happened or will happen. Shameful really.

They could also be doing this to show they don't need Trump and that our influence in the region is falling dramatically due to Trump.

Is this some progressive liberal fantasy? Do you not understand that the US and China have to be on board to officially end this?

Fact is that both countries have brutal dictatorships and one or more ancestors of the current leaders got power decades ago that the current leaders are fighting to maintain. Further, both are propped up by world superpowers. Assad has Russia, Kim has China.

Just because both are not experiencing the exact same thing doesn't mean that it's an "incredible leap" to compare the two. To think Kim hasn't been closely following what's been going on with Assad is to presume Kim's an idiot, which he clearly is not.

It does bother me that a lot of the discussion on both sides is about who deserves credit and taking shots at people. Seems like some, possibly most, who are not directly involved in, or directly impacted by, the matter care little about what has happened or will happen. Shameful really.

Actually, I'd say that Kim has pretty conclusively proven that he's batshit crazy, much like his father. He may have an instinct for survival, but that doesn't mean he's rational or thinks logically. And, I don't think it's idiotic to question whether bombing Syria had any effect on a dictator half a world away in a very different situation. As the article I posted mentioned, China was the main force behind North Korea deciding to negotiate, not Trump. He may have played some role, but not to the level that his supporters are claiming.

ETA: To be fair, there's no doubt that if this had happened on Obama's watch, that Democrats would be taking at least some credit for it as well. It's the way politics works. If it's positive news the party in power gladly takes credit, even if they don't necessarily deserve it. If it's bad news, they always try to ignore it, or failing that, to somehow pass the buck.

Last edited:
I think we’re talking about 2 different things here. I’m talking about the use of our military against a country with Assad, a brutal dictator. You appear to be addressing Obama’s use of our military against ISIS, a radical death cult that acquired territory in more than one country that we’re trying to completely eliminate. We don’t care who is leading the radical death cult because we are trying to rid the world of all of them.

Unless I missed it and Obama attacked Assad, it’s not close to the same thing. Kim’s been watching how we deal with Assad because Kim’s a brutal dictator like Assad. Other than monitoring our military, I’d guess he cares a lot less, if at all, about what we do with ISIS.

It has nothing to do with Kim's nuclear site imploding last week. If Trump would have done it, he would have told Kim to move ut all before it got destroyed.

We've had ZERO impact on Assad. He's used chemical weapons multiple times since Trump took office. Russian mercenaries attacked US Special Forces in Syria and Trump has neither said nor done anything about it.

RE: Kim- Trump has called him "sharp" and "honorable" among other platitudes. No POTUS, on either side, would consider calling one of the world's most brutal and evil dictators "honorable". Hell, Kim even had his own half-brother murdered. But Trump calls him "honorable".

Actually, I'd say that Kim has pretty conclusively proven that he's batshit crazy, much like his father. He may have an instinct for survival, but that doesn't mean he's rational or thinks logically.

And, I don't think it's idiotic to question whether bombing Syria had any effect on a dictator half a world away in a very different situation.

As the article I posted mentioned, China was the main force behind North Korea deciding to negotiate, not Trump. He may have played some role, but not to the level that his supporters are claiming.

ETA: To be fair, there's no doubt that if this had happened on Obama's watch, that Democrats would be taking at least some credit for it as well. It's the way politics works. If it's positive news the party in power gladly takes credit, even if they don't necessarily deserve it. If it's bad news, they always try to ignore it, or failing that, to somehow pass the buck.
First, if you want to fall into the trap that Kim's "batshit crazy" you can at your own peril, I won't go on that journey with you. Un was educated in Switzerland and his father, given name Yuri, was born in Russia.

Second, I don't think it's idiotic to question most things, but you claim that I did, which is simply not true. Read my post again if you wish. I simply pointed out that there are similarities between the 2 regimes.

Third, the "oh my God I posted an article!" thing doesn't impress me when it comes from the Independent, and I never posted that Trump deserves a lot or all of the credit.

Actually, I'd say that Kim has pretty conclusively proven that he's batshit crazy, much like his father. He may have an instinct for survival, but that doesn't mean he's rational or thinks logically.

And, I don't think it's idiotic to question whether bombing Syria had any effect on a dictator half a world away in a very different situation.

As the article I posted mentioned, China was the main force behind North Korea deciding to negotiate, not Trump. He may have played some role, but not to the level that his supporters are claiming.

Broke up your comments to make it easier examine/read:

First, if you want to fall into the trap that Kim's "batshit crazy" you can at your own peril, I won't go on that journey with you. Un was educated in Switzerland and his father, birth name Yuri, was born in Russia.

Second, I don't think it's idiotic to question most things, but you claim that I did. Read my post again. I simply pointed out that there are similarities between the 2 regimes. There are similarities regardless of any measure of distance.

Third, the "oh my God I posted an article!" thing doesn't work with me generally without substance. The Independent is not where I go for that. Nonetheless, I never posted that Trump deserves most or all of the credit, just answering questions appears to be treasonous here.

ETA: agree with most of this.

Last edited:
We've had ZERO impact on Assad. He's used chemical weapons multiple times since Trump took office. Russian mercenaries attacked US Special Forces in Syria and Trump has neither said nor done anything about it.

RE: Kim- Trump has called him "sharp" and "honorable" among other platitudes. No POTUS, on either side, would consider calling one of the world's most brutal and evil dictators "honorable". Hell, Kim even had his own half-brother murdered. But Trump calls him "honorable".

Stating facts and answering questions apparently makes me a Trump supporter in this echo chamber. I'm not really but I'll do it for the hell of it.

To the first part, I don't know what impact the most recent strike had on Assad's chemical capabilities. I do know that I trust Mattis, probably the only guy I ever trusted that's been involved with Trump. I disagreed with the coordinated strike because I wasn't convinced Assad was responsible, but it happened in limited fashion and Russia blinked, no war was started, and I'm content with the result thus far.

Anyway, I do recall Trump saying something about the incident with Russian mercenaries months later. I also recall Putin disavowing them, but my memory could be off on that.

Regardless, Assad used chemical weapons many times after Obama drew the red line and Obama did nothing during the course of his administration to stop it. Don't even try to sell me on the destruction of the chemical stockpile myth. Never believed it for a second.

To the second part, Kim is sharp but not honorable at all. Have you read any of my posts in this thread? I've clearly stated that he's a brutal dictator that sent an American home in a coma that died soon after. I don't support lrhetoric that makes Kim seem honorable.

If I supported Trump would that one word change my mind? No way in hell. If one word can change anything anybody believes in, a serious personal inventory needs to take place. Go somewhere private, safe space if readily available, and do it.

Last edited:
The mercenaries in Syria are not only tied to a staunch Putin ally, but the oligarch is the same person who funded the troll farm during the election.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...ussia-troll-farm-tied-to-mercenaries-in-syria

Additionally, WaPo reported that the oligarch was in direct contact with Assad and the Kremlin. Of course, Trump did nothing to punish either Assad or Putin for this act of war directed 100% at the US military.

Actually, RJ. Our military was under orders to engage any hostile elements with full force at disposal. Therefore, when the Russian mercenaries stormed a strategic refinery, they were met with deadly force and in a very short period of time several squadrons of Russian financed and trained mercenaries were dismantled. One Russian unit lost 200 men in a matter of minutes.

As for the Kremlin..Putin left them out in the cold. Putin himself was chastened by the American response — such was the quickness and ferocity with which these mercenary troops were dispatched. Putin chose to step away. It was clear that with Trump, brazen Russian military escapades would be met with decisive force.

http://www.newsweek.com/total-f-russian-mercenaries-syria-lament-us-strike-killed-dozens-818073

Back