• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on the Miami Hurricanes

Pilchard

Reaction score
2017-8 Season: Miami is 17-5 (6-4), and is the KP #27 team. Top 100 wins: #91 Minnesota on the road, #40 MTSU, #22 FSU, #57 State, #37 L'ville, #41 VT; losses: #36 NM State by 9; #108 GT by 10, #17 Clemson by 9, #4 Duke by 8 and #22 FSU by 9. Miami is 8-1 at home (loss to Duke, when the Canes blew a big lead).

Offense: Miami has the #6 ACC offense, and they do everything well (except shoot FTs), but aren't great at anything. In conference games, Miami is 6th in the conference in TO%, offensive rebounding %, 3 PT% (36 %), 2 PT% (49%). The Canes play a moderate tempo #9 in conference, and their offense is evenly distributed between 2 pointers, 3 pointers and FTs. Miami's one weakness has been from the line (70% in conference games #11).

Defense: Miami has the #8 ACC defense. The Canes do not give up many offensive boards (#2 in the ACC in preventing offensive boards), but they have issues with inside defense. They foul a lot (#13 in FTA per FGA) and they struggled defending the 2 point shot (#13 in 2 point defense).

Roster: Miami starts 5-7, yes 5 foot 7 inches small (frosh Chris Lykes - played behind Bryant Crawford in HS at Gonzaga in DC; like Crawford, Lykes was the DC area POY last year), 6-3 (Dejan Vasiljevic), 6-5 (Lonnie Walker), 6-7 (Anthony Lawrence) and 6-11 (Dewan Huell). A week ago, Miami lost swing player and key contributor Bruce Brown for a month if not for the season. As a result, Miami's bench is now limited. 6-3 Ja'Quan Newton is their sixth man, and Sam Waardenburg backs up Huell at center. Vasiljevic, Lawrence (50% !) and Walker are all threats from 3.

Bottom Line: KP projects a 77-66 Miami win. While WF is inept on the road (0-5 in the ACC this year; 5 wins - billion losses since the Stone Age), this seems like a good match up for WF. Moore should give Miami fits inside; their guards are small, and they are almost as bad from the line in conference games as WF. Also, WF pounded 96-79 Miami last year. Think this game will mirror the losses at UNC, State and BC (i.e., WF hangs until the final minutes and then stumbles late).

Miami is one of three current ACC schools against whom WF has an all-time winning record

WF is 3-3 against Larranaga but has not won in Miami since Skip Prosser was coach

would like to see us feed Moore, create some fouls, and have the guards attack the basket

Unfortunately there appear to be (3) certainties in this world: death, taxes and Wake BB road losses. :(

Prove this wrong Deacs! THE TIME IS NOW

Unless we're playing Pitt, I have zero confidence we can win a road game.

Unless we're playing Pitt, I have zero confidence we can win a road game.

Yup.

The nice thing is that I'll have zero expectations while watching the game tomorrow.

Well, I say that now... But there will definitely be times during the game when I think, "Miami is just OK... Why can't we compete with them?"

Lykes sounds like a somewhat taller version of Mugsey Bogues.
Assume he is very, very quick.

Another road game another road loss. The best we can hope for is to hang in and blow the lead late-- the other option this year on the road is to get blown out by 10-15 points. I think the latter is the most likely

At this point, Danny should start experimenting late in road games. I still, perhaps foolishly, hold out hope that we can win games at home against a few ACC opponents, but given our road record, we have nothing to lose by trying something, ANYTHING, new in a game like this. Try half court traps at the 5 - 6 minute mark. Set up isolations for Chaundee. Just have the whole team run screaming bloody murder with their hands up. Literally, anything other than what we've been doing: setting double high screens and asking Craw and Chill to penetrate before anything happens on offense.

Also, has anyone else noticed that our bigs don't seem to communicate very well on those high screens? They're usually both standing at the free throw line, looking at each other while Crawford is waiting for one or both to come screen. It often takes them several seconds to figure it and out we don't even start running an offense until we have about 17 or fewer seconds left. It's similar to my complaint that our bigs don't know how to throw outlet passes, which completely ruins any chance at a fast break. They always either hand it off or pass laterally. When was the last time you saw a big of ours get a rebound and skip to someone running near half court? With the line up we have been starting lately (Chill, Craw, Chaundee) I would have thought we would get a few more quick looks in transition. The fact that we haven't is either a conscious decision by Danny to slow the game down, something we discussed in the thread about our inability to run a fast break, or we are still trying to push and the bigs are holding us back.

Last edited:
We'll probably play a good first 5 minutes, build a 5 to 9 point lead that is gone by the 10 minute mark and then get outclassed from there on out.

That dude gives zero shits where the three point line is.

Lykes was Crawford's high school teammate and close friend. Will be fun to see them go at it

Fast forward to NC State game- looking for 4 tickets if anyone wants to unload. PM if you have any. Thanks

Back