• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report WF @ Dook - Saturday 8 pm - ACCN

Most folks are clueless. We're better this year only because we're coming off '19 which was one of the worst defenses Wake has ever had.

15: 125
16: 128
17: 176
18: 130
19: 186

We all forgot what competent defense looks like. It has been 10 years since Dino.

Most folks are clueless. We're better this year only because we're coming off '19 which was one of the worst defenses Wake has ever had.

15: 125
16: 128
17: 176
18: 130
19: 186

Our defense last night was horrendous. We should not have started in a zone, once it was clear they were slicing it up we should not have stayed in it, and the defensive effort was pitiful from start to finish.

I think Brandon is an ACC player. He is just asked to do way more than he is capable of doing. He would be a valuable combo guard off the bench for most ACC teams.

He dribbles way to much but I think that is by Manning design. He just need some better coaching and a realistic role.

Agree that he is asked to do too much and that he is lacking some semblance of coaching, but disagree that he is an ACC level player and that he would be a combo guard off the bench. He’s 5-11 and doesn’t have a great shot. There’s a reason he only had offers from ECU, UNCW and UNCC. I say all of that not to shit on Brandon, but he’s our best player? Sheesh.

I think Sarr has the highest ceiling. He's a 7 footer with a really nice shot.

Sarr's not a legit 3pt shooter, and the long 2 is the worst shot in basketball. For a Jr. we pretty much know what he is, and I don't see anything special that screams future NBA starter potential. Massoud's per 40min. as a Fr. under the worst coach in the ACC are 17ppg, 9 rpg, 1.4 blk while shooting 41% from 3 and possessing legitimate NBA 3 range. He's 6'8 with skills to play the 2, 3, and 4. If he can get some legit coaching from a new coach, player development, and weight room work in by the time he is a Sr. we could see a special player. If Danny sticks around he'll turn him into an ineffective 4/undersized 5 who hunts offensive rebounds, free throws, and paint touches for points. Chaundee should be a big 2 guard and instead he gets minutes at the 4, without developing any perimeter skills in 3 years. The more time you have under Manning, the more your ceiling lowers.

If Rex can prove he’s a good recruiter, I’d keep him. He’s made an obvious impact on our defense. He has loads of experience. I would definitely try and keep him on staff if I was the next guy. Also, keep Ernie around.

No to both. Clean house.

Neath and Massoud are potential bench players for a lower to mid level ACC team, not starters. They are fun to watch and have their moments, and you can’t blame them for coming to Wake— they are living the dream of playing ACC b-ball, knowing full well that they will lose a majority of their games here. I probably would have done the same thing with an ACC offer. Mucous is another example — said his favorite moment was playing in Cameron last year. Danny could have been a better recruiter, but it’s too tough with our long losing history — we are not recruiting kids that expect to win here.

If used correctly both could be solid ACC starters. Massoud could be very good as a SF/SG if the coach is solid.

Neath and Massoud are potential bench players for a lower to mid level ACC team, not starters. They are fun to watch and have their moments, and you can’t blame them for coming to Wake— they are living the dream of playing ACC b-ball, knowing full well that they will lose a majority of their games here. I probably would have done the same thing with an ACC offer. Mucous is another example — said his favorite moment was playing in Cameron last year. Danny could have been a better recruiter, but it’s too tough with our long losing history — we are not recruiting kids that expect to win here.

Massoud had offers from Florida State, Georgia Tech, Xavier, Auburn, Texas Tech, Georgia, Illinois, etc., and was at one point ranked as high as #60 in his class. Nice try though.

Sarr's not a legit 3pt shooter, and the long 2 is the worst shot in basketball. For a Jr. we pretty much know what he is, and I don't see anything special that screams future NBA starter potential. Massoud's per 40min. as a Fr. under the worst coach in the ACC are 17ppg, 9 rpg, 1.4 blk while shooting 41% from 3 and possessing legitimate NBA 3 range. He's 6'8 with skills to play the 2, 3, and 4. If he can get some legit coaching from a new coach, player development, and weight room work in by the time he is a Sr. we could see a special player. If Danny sticks around he'll turn him into an ineffective 4/undersized 5 who hunts offensive rebounds, free throws, and paint touches for points. Chaundee should be a big 2 guard and instead he gets minutes at the 4, without developing any perimeter skills in 3 years. The more time you have under Manning, the more your ceiling lowers.

Good post. I really like Massoud too, especially his vibe. I just think Sarr has the most potential - he's a legit 7 footer with a really good shot. That's a rare combination and one the NBA loves. I think free-throw shooting is great way to judge a shooter's potential - it was why I thought it was clear Karl Anthony Towns could become a good shooter in the league and Okafor couldn't. Sarr has an effortless shot and is shooting 79% from the line, with a lot of attempts, this year. If Manning had any insight, he would use Sarr like the Bucks use Brook Lopez.

A lot of people said that about Ish Smith too.

I think Sarr has the highest ceiling. He's a 7 footer with a really nice shot.
Well, he's certainly standing *closer to the ceiling*

Kidding aside, I'm not sure you're right. I think he's developed pretty much about as much he can. I will give that he might wind up having a brief Pro career, especially if he can develop a outside/3 pt shot. But I forsee a lot of G League in his future.

Sarr's 1-3 from 3, so I'm not sure how to evaluate that. But at the same time guys that can shoot can usually extend their range, IMO. Sarr nearly has a double double 12.4/9.1 on 25 min/game. He also leads he team in FTA and FTM,

I would not be shocked to see him on an NBA roster.

Your favorite moment was playing in Cameron. Let’s go play on tv.

Pitiful.

Hire a new coach only if the coach gets that question correct in the interview.

Q: do you want players or winners, who try to win at everything they do?

The fact you're talking about Sarr, who is non-factor, shows how bad this program is. It will be years before anyone can fix it.

The fact you're talking about Sarr, who is non-factor, shows how bad this program is. It will be years before anyone can fix it.

Two top 25 recruiting classes based on quality players, not quantity, should get Wake to mid ACC and into the post season

Two top 25 recruiting classes based on quality players, not quantity, should get Wake to mid ACC and into the post season

Maybe, but that's not going to happen right away. Wake is not going to hire a name coach capable of snagging back to back top 25 recruiting classes.

Best case scenario is a getting a really good young coach that improves the program to a point that he can get that type of recruiting class. Tony Bennet.

Maybe, but that's not going to happen right away. Wake is not going to hire a name coach capable of snagging back to back top 25 recruiting classes.

Best case scenario is a getting a really good young coach that improves the program to a point that he can get that type of recruiting class. Tony Bennet.

There are a few coaches out there who could do this and there is some decent probability they would be available. The likelihood of any of them being interested in Wake is unknown. Off the top of my head list:

Thad Matta. His payments from Ohio State end this year, I believe.

John Beilein. He may get fired by Cleveland before the NBA season ends. He still has cachet in college.

Shaka Smart. On the hot seat in TX. He seems like a bad fit there. Maybe second time is the charm at Wake.

Midmajor coach who makes a big splash in the NCAA Tournament this year.

Back