• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

if you need 5 cents, don’t ask for 3, ask for 10

No but $25 dollars an hour to work at Waffle House?
I don’t understand opinions like yours. Do you know how much value, in dollars per hour, that servers and cooks produce at Wafflehouse? Because that is how their pay should be determined.

No but $25 dollars an hour to work at Waffle House?
That seems crazy until you remember that this capitalist world is creating billionaires like it's commonplace. This country used to work with one income households. The "milkman" or a teacher could have owned a home. Their spouse was the child care giver. There was a balance when the boss man a million bucks and everyone owned a home. Now the boss has billions and the people doing the work can't pull together first, last, and security to get in a safe place.

This how you know he has no counterargument.
Not trying to argue. I just don't think their demand of $25 is realistic. I'm not against wage increases and better working conditions for anyone.

my old boss loved to tell me how he just ran the local sporting goods department and had like 3 kids and a house, and then bitch about how spoiled the kids in his store were these days making $15/hr. Can’t line it up any better than that.

If the dollar amount scares you, start thinking in terms of what that amount can actually buy.

why isn't it realistic?
It's just an opinon. I don't think the Waffle House Top Brass are going to agree with that. Maybe I'm wrong. Good for them if they get it.

Not trying to argue. I just don't think their demand of $25 is realistic. I'm not against wage increases and better working conditions for anyone.
You weren’t arguing, you were just being a dick and dodging my argument. 25/hr is an arbitrary pay rate and you’ve got no basis for saying it’s “unrealistic” besides your being unfamiliar with other similar food service workers getting paid that rate.

well I mean we're gonna find out given California is mandating mcdonalds workers make $20/hr next year

is is Cal or NLRB that is trying to redefine the joint employer rule for Franchises. That will have a big impact on benefits and pay if you go from the franchise being at fault to the "big employer". (google search fails me this am)

Back