• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Landlord Tenent Lawyers in Fort Myers

Deacon92

Reaction score
So anyone on the all knowing pit, have a recommendation for a lawyer for a landlord rental deposit issue from the landlord side?

I used those dudes with the fun commercial, Goldstein Buckley Checkman and Purtz or whatever for real estate issues in the past, not anything to do with my tenants, though. They were pretty diligent and quick and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

So anyone on the all knowing pit, have a recommendation for a lawyer for a landlord rental deposit issue from the landlord side?

Does the lease read that you are owed a deposit and did all parties provide signatures? I know that's elementary but I've been dealing with some tenant issues recently and am glad you started this thread.

My question would be how much notice do I have to give my tenants before evicting them? There was no lease agreement for this one. All on good faith.

So they were one day late moving out? Did it hold you up from moving and cost you money to the movers for holding your furniture or something? If so, defs take the money out of the deposit. If not, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Legally, I have no idea but since you are already holding the money, it would be on them to come back to get the money from you, and at that point it would almost be as expensive to hire a firm to write a few letters as it would be to just let the money go. Assuming we are talking about standard fort misery rent and not like $5k+ or something.

You have thirty days to notify them via certified mail. Otherwise you forfeit your right and have to sue for damages.

We didn't do anything for them being not ready to move. Thst is just background

We had a home inspection done the next day with one of them present for most of the time. The net result was no deposit due back. And they were notified in writing both email and fedex.

Now they are wanting the full amount due back

In Florida in Landlord-Tenant disputes, the loser can end up paying the legal fees of the winner.

Does the lease read that you are owed a deposit and did all parties provide signatures? I know that's elementary but I've been dealing with some tenant issues recently and am glad you started this thread.

My question would be how much notice do I have to give my tenants before evicting them? There was no lease agreement for this one. All on good faith.

Depends on the law of your state. Even without a written lease, you guys are covered under the landlord/tenant laws.

We didn't do anything for them being not ready to move. Thst is just background

We had a home inspection done the next day with one of them present for most of the time. The net result was no deposit due back. And they were notified in writing both email and fedex.

Now they are wanting the full amount due back

If you properly documented, justified the costs, and notified in accordance with your laws, it's their move.

If anything, they would sue in small claims court. If you followed the law, you would most likely win. You just better be sure you have documentation and proof of everything.

IIce maker in fridge off. Smoke alarms taken down and not replaced. Custom blinds for sliding g glass doors torn. But they are out.

Those must have been some expensive blinds... or the security deposit was only $100.

Back