• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Languages thread

BaseballBoomhauer

Reaction score
I think something similar to this was done on the scout boards, but for those of us who are trying to learn languages, I think it would be helpful.

Basically, let's just have normal conversations in other languages. I think it will force us to look up new words and phrases, and give each other tips on sentence structure, slang, etc.

I am learning French for work, I know a little Spanish, and despite the fact that I live in Germany, my German sucks. I'd be willing to have conversations in any of these languages.

My German is basically non-existent as well.

I'd chat in Russian if anyone wants to work on that (mine is solidly functional, but not exceptional).

Hablo espanol, pero he olvidado mucho en los anos pasados (desde la universidad). De ves en cuando hay alguien que yo puedo ayudar con sus compras en REI, pero quiero mas. Pienso que con mas practica o tiempo en un lugar donde hablan espanol, recordara toda...

...even in writing this, it's amazingly pathetic how much more I want to say that I am struggling to find the words/grammar to spit out. I hate how much I've lost... it's sad that I claim this as one of my majors.

I think something similar to this was done on the scout boards, but for those of us who are trying to learn languages, I think it would be helpful.

Basically, let's just have normal conversations in other languages. I think it will force us to look up new words and phrases, and give each other tips on sentence structure, slang, etc.

I am learning French for work, I know a little Spanish, and despite the fact that I live in Germany, my German sucks. I'd be willing to have conversations in any of these languages.

Ich wohne in der Schweiz, und konnte ein bisschen Deutsch schreiben. Wo wohnst du in Deutschland?

So I'm guessing no one else wants to practice their Norwegian?

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

Frisch weht der Wind

Der Heimat zu

Mein irisch Kind,

Wo weilest du?

"You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;

"They called me the hyacinth girl."

John Carew, Carew: He's bigger than me or you.

Does not compute in Norwegian (because it doesn't rhyme). Carew's last name in Norwegian is pronounced like "Car-ev". His first name is also pronounced more like "Yoon".

Hablo espanol, pero he olvidado mucho en los anos pasados (desde la universidad). De ves en cuando hay alguien que yo puedo ayudar con sus compras en REI, pero quiero mas. Pienso que con mas practica o tiempo en un lugar donde hablan espanol, recordara toda...

...even in writing this, it's amazingly pathetic how much more I want to say that I am struggling to find the words/grammar to spit out. I hate how much I've lost... it's sad that I claim this as one of my majors.

yo tambien :tear:

Mi companero de cuartos es de los Paises Bajos y habla cinco lenguas.

Hace dos dias trate de leer un libro castellano que habia leido en la universidad. Casi no pude. Pues, si, buena idea! Pero de que hablamos?

Bien sur! Je veux bien! Je suis disponible a parler francais avec ceux qui veulent. Je parle aussi espagnol et je comprends l'allemand. J'habite au Dash. Allons-y!

Bien sur! Je veux bien! Je suis disponible a parler francais avec ceux qui veulent. Je parle aussi espagnol et je comprends l'allemand. J'habite au Dash. Allons-y!

pretty sure that you taught me AP french in 2001. and i can still comprehend your post. score!

Back