• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Laptop for business travel

siff

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
My company gives us 15.4" MacBook Pro's (running Windows, the reasons for which I won't explain). Mine just died. It's the second one in the past nine months.

I travel considerably, by plane. I have to carry with me equipment. It's a pain in the ass. I'd like to by a small, Windows laptop so I don't have an enormous, sure-to-die 15.4" MacBook Pro to carry around anymore.

Since it will be purchased with my money, I'd like to contain costs if possible. I won't use it for gaming, only for email, doing quotes, some surfing. It is nice having a hard drive, so something like a Chrome book isn't a good fit for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I'd go with something in the Lenovo X-series. Similar in size/weight to a Macbook Air, but part of Lenovo's super durable business line. Lenovo sells refurbs on their website...that's probably the best way to go to contain costs.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/

That said, Macbook Pro's tend to be very durable. What sort of failures are you seeing? Sounds like you're rough on equipment. You should probably but a solid state drive at the top of your list of requirements. Does your company allow you to use personal machines for company email, files, etc? That's a pretty big security breach in more organizations.

Last edited:
That said, Macbook Pro's tend to be very durable.

Yeah. You can argue price / value, but there aren't computers built better than MacBooks until you get to ruggedized computers.

There are mitigating circumstances. The laptops assigned to us are refurbished (really, just used). It's a long story, but we use them in a product we make. When said products are overhauled/upgraded/etc..., we get the laptops. Kind of sucks, actually, but it essentially means that we get older, used laptops to use for work.

Security isn't a big deal here so, yes, I'd be able to use a personal laptop without any problem.

If you are running Windows anyway, I don't see why you would want to go with a Mac. The Lenovo ThinkPads would seem like an obvious choice. As someone mentioned, the x-series are small and light. The X1 Carbon Touch is the best, but likely pricey. I use an X-220 which is a good choice - there is probably a newer version of it out now with a different number.
*disclaimer - I work for Lenovo.

If you are running Windows anyway, I don't see why you would want to go with a Mac. The Lenovo ThinkPads would seem like an obvious choice. As someone mentioned, the x-series are small and light. The X1 Carbon Touch is the best, but likely pricey. I use an X-220 which is a good choice - there is probably a newer version of it out now with a different number.

Company discount, please. Thanks.

Can you tell us about the hidden communist back doors?

http://m.slashdot.org/story/189503

I wouldn't go near any laptop right now that doesn't have Intel's new Haswell chipset in it.

Back