• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Last 5 minutes of close games

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
So I looked this up last night. We have had 8 ACC games this year decided by 10 points or less this season. We won 3 and lost 5. And in those games, we have been out-scored in the final 5 minutes in 8 of them. Yep, that would be every single one of them. I dare say the end of games is when coaching is at a paramount. The game turns into more of a half-court game, time-outs are being taken, you're trying to make sure your best players are getting good looks, you're coaching on a possession by possession basis, etc. For me, this is just more evidence that Bzz is not a good game coach at all, despite all the smoke that has been blown our way about him being a great "Xs and Os guy". Basically, the team has to build a big enough lead to withstand his coaching inabilities to have any chance of winning.

Of course Bzz just blames it all on the players. They are too young, don't do all the great things he wants, etc.

Oh yeah, though I did not count last night's game as one of the eight, we were only down by a few points (5 maybe?) at the 5 minutes mark, and look how that turned out ...

I have to say though, CJ is a really bad clutch player considering his ability to score and get fouled. That last second fallaway shot from the baseline at the end of the first half was pretty typical of the types of shots he's gotten off when we put the ball in his hands in moments like that.

He's a unique player. He probably would have been just a killer player for a program like Syracuse or Georgetown or even Carolina where he wouldn't have been needed to be THE guy and played with guys that draw the defense.

That said, Bzd put the ball in CJ's hands there despite plays like that when he's asked to do it. Not exactly sure what the alternative is this year.

If Madison hit his free throws I'd almost give it to him. We time and time again this year and in this game against Maryland failed to take into consideration what was on the court: Madison was guarded by that Albany guy a few times - someone he could beat off the dribble easily, and we kept swinging the ball around. We could have easily fouled Len out of that game. He's kind of an idiot, and we didn't attack him when he had 2 fouls, or 3 fouls or 4 fouls ... Bzd bites in that regard.

As an aside, if I'm an NBA GM there is no fucking way I draft Len in the lottery. If I had the 20th pick or something maybe, but he's going to get a coach or GM or two fired.

got a text from a NCSU/Wake friend at half joking that Buzz was outcoaching Turgeon. Told him Buzz would put his stink on them at halftime. Sure enough, a 5 point lead went to a 1 point deficit in the first 55 seconds of the half.

Step one is to use a timeout at some point during the 9 minute FG drought.

I have to say though, CJ is a really bad clutch player considering his ability to score and get fouled. That last second fallaway shot from the baseline at the end of the first half was pretty typical of the types of shots he's gotten off when we put the ball in his hands in moments like that.

He's a unique player. He probably would have been just a killer player for a program like Syracuse or Georgetown or even Carolina where he wouldn't have been needed to be THE guy and played with guys that draw the defense.

That said, Bzd put the ball in CJ's hands there despite plays like that when he's asked to do it. Not exactly sure what the alternative is this year.

If Madison hit his free throws I'd almost give it to him. We time and time again this year and in this game against Maryland failed to take into consideration what was on the court: Madison was guarded by that Albany guy a few times - someone he could beat off the dribble easily, and we kept swinging the ball around. We could have easily fouled Len out of that game. He's kind of an idiot, and we didn't attack him when he had 2 fouls, or 3 fouls or 4 fouls ... Bzd bites in that regard.

As an aside, if I'm an NBA GM there is no fucking way I draft Len in the lottery. If I had the 20th pick or something maybe, but he's going to get a coach or GM or two fired.

15 seconds and Buzz comes up with a play that involves no passes and one pick. Not CJ's fault.

CJ is the only option we had on this squad that could get anything productive going to the basket. Of all Bz's faults, this may be the ONLY apspect of coaching that he got right!

There's a difference in running a play for CJ and just handing him the ball as Bz does.

There's a difference in running a play for CJ and just handing him the ball as Bz does.

Exactly. Harris was hitting shots earlier coming off of screens. Late in games, Bz gives him the ball at the top of the key and commands him to score. Bz also went away from getting the ball to Thomas, who had been effective passing the ball.

The thing is, CJ does better with those shots when there are not 60 seconds left in the game. There are plenty of instance where he runs out the shot clock at the top of the key and gets into the paint to get fouled. Maybe using one screen. At the end of the half, I think there was a screener, he just didn't use it.

But this is standard protocol in the NBA. It's like Bz hasn't figured out he's not coaching NBA players. That CJ is not Melo.

It's been a head scratcher to me from both sides - frustrated with both player and coach.

Back