• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Last two minutes of games - CODI

socaldeac

Reaction score
I like what Danny is doing, but some observations from the Duke and Syracuse Game. When the game is close CODI should be thinking pass/assist first, not shoot. He shot us out of the Duke game and he did it again tonight. With lots of time on the shot clock towards the end of the game, he shoots. He should know he is about the 4th or 5th option. The play out of the huddle towards the end of the game. I assume the play was not drawn up for CODI to shoot with 25 seconds on the clock a mid range jumper, but he does. Also, in OT why not have Mitchell bring the ball up when you know he is going to be failed and go to the free throw line as opposed to CODI. Unfortunately for CODI if he could hit free throws, he would be able to take the fouls, and be a diffence maker for the good.

As I recall, Codi was the man at the end of games for us last year. Ideally it's not a jump shot that he settles for but you gotta trust your best guard to make a play. I can live with that. I don't think DM or the team expected Boeheim to foul at the end. That was a smart call by JB, esp after CMM missed the front end. Maybe Danny should've seen that coming but if Syracuse wanted to foul a not great FT shooter, it would've happened eventually anyway since our team is full of them.

FWIW, JB did not want them to foul CMM at that point. We are down 3 with 11 sec to go. You make us run some clock and then foul if you are going to do it. That's how you let Wake get two shots in the last 11 seconds.

Remember Ish Smith had the ball at the end of the game and he struggled with shots and free throws, strangely he made a few at the end to win some games for us. I think you just want your most experienced player with the ball in that situation.

Back