• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Latest From Country Dan

I thought AJ must have misjudged the Clemson guy's speed and thus had a poor angle for a play. Not that it would have made much difference.

Yeah I mean it obviously wasn't AJ who got beat, I was just confused about what we were running there. We blitzed seven (the inside linebackers on a delay) and then had KJ and Bud on islands with it looked like Janvion towards the line to pick up the tight end coming off the line. I just thought AJ was playing centerfield in a cover one.

On the long touchdown or on the one in the red zone? What was the guy doing jamming the tight end about six yards off the line if that was AJ's guy? Furthermore what was the defensive call that had a safety jamming on the line that far up? Was it some sort of zone? I'm honestly curious because I watched the play at least 20 times and I can't figure out what the scheme was. I thought it was a cover one given where AJ was and the other safety up closer to the line.

Ok, I just watched the replay. On the 1st long touchdown we were in a defense named "flow rider" in which the 4 db's man up. Both safeties lined up 7 yards off of their tight ends. They had 2 tight ends and 2 receivers. Aj's man (tight end on his side) stayed in and blocked, and once he saw this action he flowed towards where the ball went.

To Dan's credit he does keep beating the drum on the "this is THE season" talk - even though its watered down he seems to be the only person providing any modicum of public accountability.

How about asking Grobe when do the coaches have to be accountable. As opposed to the O-line played poorly. How about the coaches coached poorly, the coaches don't motivate, etc.....

Ok, I just watched the replay. On the 1st long touchdown we were in a defense named "flow rider" in which the 4 db's man up. Both safeties lined up 7 yards off of their tight ends. They had 2 tight ends and 2 receivers. Aj's man (tight end on his side) stayed in and blocked, and once he saw this action he flowed towards where the ball went.

Oh okay that makes sense. I couldn't see AJ at the beginning of the play. That makes slightly more sense than the cover one. Thanks for the answer! Wasn't trying to chuck AJ under the bus at all, was just commenting on what I saw.

Oh okay that makes sense. I couldn't see AJ at the beginning of the play. That makes slightly more sense than the cover one. Thanks for the answer! Wasn't trying to chuck AJ under the bus at all, was just commenting on what I saw.

Understood, no worries. Glad I could add some insight. Hopefully, everyone associated with WF football brings their A game on Saturday so we can save this season.

Understood, no worries. Glad I could add some insight. Hopefully, everyone associated with WF football brings their A game on Saturday so we can save this season.

Yeah now I see that AJ was on the screen at the beginning of the play. Hey good read to get back in coverage after he saw his guy was hanging out in the backfield.

“We’ll just see how it goes,” Jim Grobe, 2013

How about asking Grobe when do the coaches have to be accountable. As opposed to the O-line played poorly. How about the coaches coached poorly, the coaches don't motivate, etc.....

Seriously. This blame the Oline/blame the team excuse is BS...and getting very old. Who the hell recruited these kids? Who is responsible for coaching them up and preparing them for each game? At some point, Grobe has to realize his staff is failing the program and the players.

We might not be 'Bama, Oregon, or Clemson, but if we were a well coached team, we would be able to take our team and put it up against the best teams in the nation and compete.

We did not compete on Saturday.

Good stuff. Do you know why we were in man-to-man with Sammy Watkins? That seems pretty unacceptable early in the game. Especially when you are putting your two safeties on tight ends instead of reinforcing the CB's.

Appreciate the insight. So theoretically had the tight end AJ was defending had run say a 5 yard curl route, that would've forced AJ to stay up on the tight end leaving Bud completely on an island against Watkins doing a sluggo/fly route with 0 safety help on that side of the field?

Appreciate the insight. So theoretically had the tight end AJ was defending had run say a 5 yard curl route, that would've forced AJ to stay up on the tight end leaving Bud completely on an island against Watkins doing a sluggo/fly route with 0 safety help on that side of the field?

Yes this seems like the worst idea ever.

#KnorrLogic

Yes this seems like the worst idea ever.

I can't figure out if this is worse or if the cover one I originally thought it was, was worse. It's close. At least the cover one had a chance of coverage when someone, inevitably, gets burnt. If you line up 8 yards off the line and get beat over the top (first TD), then like up 8 yards off the line and can't cover the first down (and if you miss tackles, give up a long TD - third TD), it may be time to move up onto the line. Or at least be a normal distance off the receiver at least a little bit. We don't really jam much...or do anything other than stand 8 yards off the line.

No team in America should ever leave a CB on an island with Sammy Watkins. Ever. No offense to Bud Noel or anybody on our team, but that may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Back