• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

No one fresh out of law school is equipped to open their own practice. After several years of working at firm and learning from experiencing attorneys, they could probably open their own practice. But out of law school, no way. That is part of the problem of the law school. It does a poor job at preparing students for the actual practice of law. After two years of law school, I've written one brief and one office memo. You want to hire me to represent you?

No one fresh out of law school is equipped to open their own practice. After several years of working at firm and learning from experiencing attorneys, they could probably open their own practice. But out of law school, no way. That is part of the problem of the law school. It does a poor job at preparing students for the actual practice of law. After two years of law school, I've written one brief and one office memo. You want to hire me to represent you?

Do you do windows?

No, because your attitude is that of a pussy. And again, that is the difference between a supposedly self-sufficient professional and an employee. Would I hire someone out of law school to write an asset purchase agreement or a generation skipping tax trust? No way. Would I hire that person to go represent me for a parking ticket if he/she was excited about doing it? Sure. It is that elitis, niche attitude that causes so many to wait tables as their $250k in loans rolls interest. No, you are not going to work doing high-level legal strategy for fortune 500 companies right out school, but there are plenty of things you can do to pay the bills and lay the foundation for a successful career. But, again, you have to want to do it, and too many law students simply do not want to be lawyers.

I mean... I write generation skipping trusts. I've been working for about 6 months.

Granted since I graduated law school I've worked for a moving company, legal aid, and the federal government before going back for my llm.

No, because your attitude is that of a pussy. And again, that is the difference between a supposedly self-sufficient professional and an employee. Would I hire someone out of law school to write an asset purchase agreement or a generation skipping tax trust? No way. Would I hire that person to go represent me for a parking ticket if he/she was excited about doing it? Sure. It is that elitis, niche attitude that causes so many to wait tables as their $250k in loans rolls interest. No, you are not going to work doing high-level legal strategy for fortune 500 companies right out school, but there are plenty of things you can do to pay the bills and lay the foundation for a successful career. But, again, you have to want to do it, and too many law students simply do not want to be lawyers.

Good post.

I want to be lawyer, but I do not want to fight your parking ticket. If that makes me a pussy and elitist, then so be it.

I mean... I write generation skipping trusts. I've been working for about 6 months.

Granted since I graduated law school I've worked for a moving company, legal aid, and the federal government before going back for my llm.

You also work at a firm where you have mentoring etc. and didn't just hang out a shingle to do it.

I write APA's after a year and half at my firm, but again I have a support network etc. and the partners review things.

I want to be lawyer, but I do not want to fight your parking ticket. If that makes me a pussy and elitist, then so be it.

What do you think this means? If you are in law school, I am fairly certain you have no idea if this is even true. But, you might have an idea, so I am not calling you out on this statement (at least not yet). I am very interested in your answer, though.

hypothetically, lets say a law student comes out of school and starts his or her own practice fighting parking tickets, doing basic transactional stuff, etc. Is it even possible to then jump to a firm where one would be doing generation skipping trusts after starting down the solo road? I just don't imagine that happens often. I am not above anything-- I spent my life up until this point working crappy jobs-- but I also would prefer to not fight parking tickets.

I too am in law school (2L). I went to law school because I didn't have any better ideas and I thought I could be a pretty good lawyer. I had no idea what being a lawyer entailed. Basically I very easily could have screwed up my entire life, but I at least had the good sense to pick a school that gave me money and the good fortune to do well enough to have employment during the summers.

hypothetically, lets say a law student comes out of school and starts his or her own practice fighting parking tickets, doing basic transactional stuff, etc. Is it even possible to then jump to a firm where one would be doing generation skipping trusts after starting down the solo road? I just don't imagine that happens often. I am not above anything-- I spent my life up until this point working crappy jobs-- but I also would prefer to not fight parking tickets.

I too am in law school (2L). I went to law school because I didn't have any better ideas and I thought I could be a pretty good lawyer. I had no idea what being a lawyer entailed. Basically I very easily could have screwed up my entire life, but I at least had the good sense to pick a school that gave me money and the good fortune to do well enough to have employment during the summers.

dude of course. every great transactional lawyer started their own firm processing traffic violations after law school

How screwed am I? I have been seriously thinking about law school because because I am so tired of going to court as an expert witness and knowing more/having more experience than most prosecutors. Basically, I want to pay a lot of money to take a substantial pay cut.

I don't think that makes you elitist. I bet there's plenty of GS I-bankers/neurosurgeons/Harvard professors who wouldn't have been as interested in getting their MBA/MD/PhD if they thought they'd end up a bank teller/dermatologist/community college lecturer. The problem is that many law students aren't even sure if they'd enjoy arguing a case before the Supreme Court or closing a billion dollar merger.

edit - not comparing a dermatologist to a bank teller. couldn't come up with a good example of an MD who "didn't make it"

Last edited:
edit - not comparing a dermatologist to a bank teller. couldn't come up with a good example of an MD who "didn't make it"

was about to say - the ones who land dermatology residencies are actually the ones who "make it"...

as someone who is on the verge of $250,000 in federal graduate student debt - my one saving grace is that the healthcare field is practically opposite of law. severe shortage of physicians (at least US trained ones) pretty much guarantees me job security for the rest of my life. couldn't imagine going to school for this long and be facing the situation that seems to dominate law graduates. that being said, still not fired up about the $250,000 + 7.0%.

On a side note, I would be interested in seeing what percentage of my fellow Wake Economics majors went to law school. Feel like it was everyone - some of those I know are doing well. Sure there are others working the overnight at Denny's to get by...

was about to say - the ones who land dermatology residencies are actually the ones who "make it"...

as someone who is on the verge of $250,000 in federal graduate student debt - my one saving grace is that the healthcare field is practically opposite of law. severe shortage of physicians (at least US trained ones) pretty much guarantees me job security for the rest of my life. couldn't imagine going to school for this long and be facing the situation that seems to dominate law graduates. that being said, still not fired up about the $250,000 + 7.0%.

On a side note, I would be interested in seeing what percentage of my fellow Wake Economics majors went to law school. Feel like it was everyone - some of those I know are doing well. Sure there are others working the overnight at Denny's to get by...

7%, OUCH
locked mine in at around 3% thankfully.

Back