• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

I spent the first four years of my career in BigLaw and have been in a 6 lawyer boutique (started by one of the partners I worked for in BigLaw) for the last 3 years and I can't express enough how much I think this is the way to go. Some practices lend themselves much better to a boutique practice. You can see it all over the country in my practice area (trusts & estates). While there are still some BigLaw firms with great T&E practices, the trend is definitely for them to move to boutiques. It's better for the lawyers and it's better for the clients. I can see the boutique not working so well in other areas that are much more labor intensive (i.e., things that require a lot of doc review) - you just wouldn't have the manpower to do it. But, the more shit work that can be outsourced, the more practices that will be able to move to a small firm model.

We basically do the same thing with corporate tax work. It is so easy competing against the big boys in the areas we work.

I see 4 possibilities:

1. She is the Doogie Howser of lawyers and is a capable, effective general counsel. I see this as being the least likely.

2. She is not actually the general counsel for the Bobcats, but 2&2 was distracted by her boobies and misunderstood her role with the team. This is the most likely.

3. She holds the title of general counsel, but does not actually perform any of the duties traditionally reserved for a general counsel. That work is instead handled by outside counsel and she basically ensures their bills get paid.

4. She holds the title of general counsel, and is expected to perform the duties traditionally reserved for a general counsel, and is woefully unqualified, but Bobcats ownership keeps her around because someone is banging her or they know her daddy.

I see 4 possibilities:

1. She is the Doogie Howser of lawyers and is a capable, effective general counsel. I see this as being the least likely.

2. She is not actually the general counsel for the Bobcats, but 2&2 was distracted by her boobies and misunderstood her role with the team. This is the most likely.

3. She holds the title of general counsel, but does not actually perform any of the duties traditionally reserved for a general counsel. That work is instead handled by outside counsel and she basically ensures their bills get paid.

4. She holds the title of general counsel, and is expected to perform the duties traditionally reserved for a general counsel, and is woefully unqualified, but Bobcats ownership keeps her around because someone is banging her or they know her daddy.

her title isn't gen counsel; #2 is most likely

mmm I dunno, her title is Sr. Manager - Legal Affairs

they've got some proper executives with legal backgrounds that I imagine handle actual work

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/bobcats_staff_directory.html

I have no real knowledge of the situation, but in the in-house world, "manager of legal affairs" sounds like a person who is pushing paper and dealing with compliance. At our company we have a lady who went to a low-tier law school but has never been able to pass the bar doing that sort of thing. If a person sits at the big boy table and gives real legal advice to ownership or the board, that gets labeled "General Counsel". They don't have that title on their list though, so who knows.

I have no real knowledge of the situation, but in the in-house world, "manager of legal affairs" sounds like a person who is pushing paper and dealing with compliance. At our company we have a lady who went to a low-tier law school but has never been able to pass the bar doing that sort of thing. If a person sits at the big boy table and gives real legal advice to ownership or the board, that gets labeled "General Counsel". They don't have that title on their list though, so who knows.

pics

Rich Cho is an attorney and doesn't need in house counsel. She is an empty suit.

I don't think Rich Cho is spending his time pouring over vendor and licensing contracts. The Mecklenburg County Bar invited her to be the speaker and introduced her as the person running the legal show for the Bobcats; maybe her tits duped them too, who knows. But she talked pretty coherently about the legal process of getting the name changed with the NBA board of governors and the apparel licensing and different geographic marketing restrictions within the NBA's bylaws.

On the walk back to the office afterwards, our group was leaning towards #3 in Sey Hey's list, as someone who just engages outside counsel for anything too serious. But even that should seemingly require some experience, as you need to be able to identify the relevant issues and figure out who is best suited to do what. I'm still leaning towards MJ is an idiot or backdooring her.

One of my good friends just moved in house for us doing lending transactions. He moved from a shitty 6-8 person boutique run by a guy who was a huge dickbag. Now he makes like $110-115k working 8-6 or so documenting fairly straightforward agreements. He's pretty pumped.

A Wake buddy of mine left his firm about 5 years ago over a dispute with a partner over compensation. He started his own foreclosure defense firm and is raking in the dough. He hired a few paralegals after about a year and established offices across the state within 2 or 3 years. Based on what he charges clients and how many clients he has, he's bringing in strong 7 figures a year. He's also been featured in local, national, and international news stories.

I don't think Rich Cho is spending his time pouring over vendor and licensing contracts. The Mecklenburg County Bar invited her to be the speaker and introduced her as the person running the legal show for the Bobcats; maybe her tits duped them too, who knows. But she talked pretty coherently about the legal process of getting the name changed with the NBA board of governors and the apparel licensing and different geographic marketing restrictions within the NBA's bylaws.

On the walk back to the office afterwards, our group was leaning towards #3 in Sey Hey's list, as someone who just engages outside counsel for anything too serious. But even that should seemingly require some experience, as you need to be able to identify the relevant issues and figure out who is best suited to do what. I'm still leaning towards MJ is an idiot or backdooring her.

I think Occam's Razor probably leads to MJ is an idiot, given how incredibly poorly he runs all other aspects of the Bobcats.

One other thing: I have a little experience with the internal workings of the NBA, and although a very small sample it leads me to believe that when the NBA says "sign this", the teams sign it. In the deal I did which involved a person who owned part of a team, the documents were presented as completely non-negotiable. Doesn't take a lot of legal acumen to say "sir yes sir".

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain that knowing nothing about franchises I could speak competently on the fact that there are a number of factors and parties involved in changing the team name.

I'm certain if that were my job I could handle it.

That's absurd. Being a year out from law school myself, I would never ever trust somebody of those qualifications with that job.

She was probably had too much experience/was overqualified for Pat McCrory's staff....

A Wake buddy of mine left his firm about 5 years ago over a dispute with a partner over compensation. He started his own foreclosure defense firm and is raking in the dough. He hired a few paralegals after about a year and established offices across the state within 2 or 3 years. Based on what he charges clients and how many clients he has, he's bringing in strong 7 figures a year. He's also been featured in local, national, and international news stories.

Interesting that a guy who defends people that can't/won't pay their bills can pull in that kind of money.

True. He's much cheaper than a mortgage.

Back