• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

How much of the bar prep do you actually use as a lawyer? Does it depend on what law you practice and how?

Even though both of these are essentially true, I still think the bar exam is a good thing as a minimum competency exam. If you can't pass, I don't want you to be my lawyer. I think there should be more reciprocity across states (or at the very least, attorney exams where you only have to take the state portion and not the MBE), but more stringent CLE requirements to practice in states where you have waived in or are not actively engaged in the practice of law on a day to day basis (maybe there are in some states, but my GA CLE is always approved for credit in FL and a good portion of it is solely about GA law - good for me, but useless for actually keeping up with developments in FL law).

I am pretty glad that I don't have any CLE requirements.

Even though both of these are essentially true, I still think the bar exam is a good thing as a minimum competency exam. If you can't pass, I don't want you to be my lawyer. I think there should be more reciprocity across states (or at the very least, attorney exams where you only have to take the state portion and not the MBE), but more stringent CLE requirements to practice in states where you have waived in or are not actively engaged in the practice of law on a day to day basis (maybe there are in some states, but my GA CLE is always approved for credit in FL and a good portion of it is solely about GA law - good for me, but useless for actually keeping up with developments in FL law).

I agree with this. I take the position that if you aren't willing to work at least hard enough to pass the bar exam (something that is self serving) you shouldn't be trusted with the responsibility of representing another person.

I learned more about the law in bar prep but nothing about practicing law.

Couldn't you say the same about passing law school classes?

Or why not assess "willingness to work" with something that aligns more closely to the work of lawyers?

I learned more about the law in bar prep but nothing about practicing law.

Well it still beats law school, where I learned nothing about the law nor anything about practicing law. At least the bar prep / exam has a few practical things like intestate succession, property ownership, and some of the civil procedure / evidence rules.

Couldn't you say the same about passing law school classes?

Or why not assess "willingness to work" with something that aligns more closely to the work of lawyers?

A warm body that shows up to class every now and then passes law school classes.

Not sure that I'd ever trust a lawyer that didn't pass a bar exam.

Not sure that I'd ever trust a lawyer that didn't pass a bar exam.

Every practing lawyer passed a bar exam. And you'd never know if someone didn't unless they told you. There are defs people in BIG LAW that failed at least once.

I mean, the passage right is still high everywhere for first time takers from reasonable schools that speak English

Trying to understand what the downside is to "teach to the bar". Why would a school not want to teach in a way that it's professionals could practice law in their chosen state upon graduation? It comes across as sour grapes and a way to explain away a lower pass rate. What am I missing? No pass, no work. Seems logical that passing would be important.

While I know there's not a huge overlap here with accounting, this same "criticism" could be aimed at Wake's highly touted accounting program. They teach to the CPA exam and that's it. Their magic number is that "highest pass rate" metric.

Back