• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lawyer question

PhillyDeac

Reaction score
I have a client with their headquarters in New York, but a satellite office in New Jersey. If you live in ny, can you practice in New Jersey? If you live in nj, can you practice in by (if you work for the company based in ny).

If no, what does it take to be able to practice in both?

Thanks in advance

You would have to be admitted in both states (take the bar exam in both states) unless you are admitted in a temporary basis (pro hac vice) meaning you still have to have NJ counsel supervising.

They structure the bar exam in NY/NJ so that you can take the NY day, the Multi-State Day, and then the NJ day.

It's also possible that an attorney could waive in after a number of years but the bottom line is they have to be licensed in both states.

Depends what you mean by "practice." I believe you can give phone advice on questions of federal law. Beyond that, questions of unauthorized practice get complicated.

Depends what you mean by "practice." I believe you can give phone advice on questions of federal law. Beyond that, questions of unauthorized practice get complicated.

Kinda like I'm gonna "practice" punching you in the nose if I catch you hitting on my girl at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance tonight!

Back