• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Le Tour de France (NWT)

That's crazy. Didn't lance claim a resting heart rate of like 35? Pretty sure that makes you dead.

That must be his one testicle resting heart rate....for the rest of us who have two, a resting heart rate of 70 is pretty much normal!:eek:

I mean, on some of those climbs a max HR of 170 does sound a little low, but those guys are so fit and sustain it for so long, that doesn't sound totally unreasonable. It's the low HR in addition to the ridiculous watts that makes it suspect. Most folks, to put out that much power, are going have a higher HR. Who knows, maybe he's a freak of nature... But everyone always went on about Lance's insane VO2 max as though that explained things, and ... Yeah.

My resting HR is about 45. when I first wake up in the morning it's often 40. But that's not the point for me.

The point is that when I do real work (like 2 x 20s at 95% FTP, or 300 watts) then I max out around 184 near the end of the second 20 minutes. Physiologically it just doesn't make sense to me to be putting out huge efforts shutting down attacks from folks like Quintana on 40 minutes climbs while sustaining 400W plus for the whole ride and then spiking up to 800W to chase dudes down.

That said, I go to meetings and type for a living, so there's a lot about that world I don't get.

Yeah, resting heart rate doesn't mean too much; mine is around 40. Every time I'm at the doctor, they ask "do you work out a lot?" and they ask because of my low heart resting heart rate. I ride when I can but it's not a lot. My heart rate spikes to 185 if I'm out of the saddle climbing hard.

Ok. Does the doping not help them get in shape? I assumed they doped all the time or is it just a tour thing?

doping helps with recovery, so it's useful with both

but like PEDs in baseball, it's not gonna help you hit a fastball 400 ft

you gotta put in the work, and it might change muscle mass or water retention, but it's not likely to affect max vo2 or heart rate or those things

you gotta put in the work, and it might change muscle mass or water retention, but it's not likely to affect max vo2 or heart rate or those things

That's not 100% true - stuff like EPO is far more of a direct performance boost than something like anabolic steroids are.

sure, and blood doping and oxygen training can definitely change your physiological readiness too

just wanted to make the general point

Well right, but it helps you get in better shape. I'm sure if I doped I'd have a considerably lower resting heart rate and would be a lot faster.

I eagerly await finding out how he cheated in five years.

Back