• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lectro was RIGHT--post1626--(climate related)

The real enemy of the people are governments that roll back environmental protections and don't aggressively pursue policies to fight climate change.

Despite everyone complaining about China not doing anything, they are actually turning their entire economy around, have said they will increase the ambition of their climate pledge, and a new study shows they could peak their emissions between 2021 and 2025: https://www.carbonbrief.org/chinas-emissions-could-peak-10-years-earlier-than-paris-climate-pledge

The government has recommended a peak year of 2025 for their next 5-year plan, which is 5 years earlier than their initial commitment in 2014.

Also ironic is that China has been gearing up hardcore for electric vehicles while conservatives in the US are trying to stop EV development.

Last edited:
Despite everyone complaining about China not doing anything, they are actually turning their entire economy around, have said they will increase the ambition of their climate pledge, and a new study shows they could peak their emissions between 2021 and 2025: https://www.carbonbrief.org/chinas-emissions-could-peak-10-years-earlier-than-paris-climate-pledge

The government has recommended a peak year of 2025 for their next 5-year plan, which is 5 years earlier than their initial commitment in 2014.

They're also investing heavily in nuclear power, including molten salt reactors:
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/...lt-nuclear-includes-bill-gates-and-china.html
"* Molten salt reactors can produce one thousand times lower volume of radioactive waste of existing nuclear reactors because of deep burn. More complete conversion of the nuclear fuel. The unburned uranium and plutonium can be used and what is left would be products with half-lives of 100 years or less.
* Molten salt reactors can have designs that are proof against nuclear meltdowns
* The Chinese reactors could use thorium. China has some of the world’s largest reserves of the thorium metal.
* Molten salt reactors can be lower cost than coal and natural gas
* Molten salt reactors could be factory mass-produced or mass-produced at shipyards to scale to 100 gigawatts per year of production.
* They can be smaller and enable a completely nuclear navy and long duration drones and massive power for spacecraft craft and space stations"

They're also investing heavily in nuclear power, including molten salt reactors:
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/...lt-nuclear-includes-bill-gates-and-china.html
"* Molten salt reactors can produce one thousand times lower volume of radioactive waste of existing nuclear reactors because of deep burn. More complete conversion of the nuclear fuel. The unburned uranium and plutonium can be used and what is left would be products with half-lives of 100 years or less.
* Molten salt reactors can have designs that are proof against nuclear meltdowns
* The Chinese reactors could use thorium. China has some of the world’s largest reserves of the thorium metal.
* Molten salt reactors can be lower cost than coal and natural gas
* Molten salt reactors could be factory mass-produced or mass-produced at shipyards to scale to 100 gigawatts per year of production.
* They can be smaller and enable a completely nuclear navy and long duration drones and massive power for spacecraft craft and space stations"

This sounds like science fiction. Why isn’t every body investing in technology like this?

We are so far behind. Even when we get off our asses and move forward technologically, we’re going to have to get everything from the Chinese.

We have a hollowed out economy that’s mostly based on moving money around. Pathetic.

"I hear we have great national forests. They are sitting their doing nothing. We should burn the wood for fuel! I know more about it than the scientists. I just bought shares in lumber companies."

We are so far behind. Even when we get off our asses and move forward technologically, we’re going to have to get everything from the Chinese.

We have a hollowed out economy that’s mostly based on moving money around. Pathetic.

But at least we stand up for human rights so that governments like China's don't dominate the world :rolleyes:

Sorry I should have left it at vox isn’t credible.

It's literally taking information from the IPCC report and dumbing it down for normal people who don't read IPCC reports regularly. You won't find anything in that Vox article that isn't in the IPCC report. I know because I have put a great deal of time into combing through the IPCC report.

It's literally taking information from the IPCC report and dumbing it down for normal people who don't read IPCC reports regularly. You won't find anything in that Vox article that isn't in the IPCC report. I know because I have put a great deal of time into combing through the IPCC report.

This would otherwise be a compelling argument, but whatamount said fakenews, so....

Interesting perspective on the media and some scientists attributing hurricane intensity and damage to climate change.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerp...urricane-dorian-coverage-mixes-up-on-purpose/

In summary Pilke argues that some tv scientists are going too far in saying that increased rain fall, storm intensity, slower speeds, or high storm surges are the result of climate change. Models all predict those things and we might be starting to see some of those effects but so far we can’t distinguish the signal from the noise in the data.

Sadly, Conan O'Brien struck out in his mission of buying Greenland. I guess we won't be able to make the world's largest margarita on the rocks.

This sounds like science fiction. Why isn’t every body investing in technology like this?

Because a byproduct of uranium reactors is the creation of weapons grade plutonium. That won't happen with a Thorium based reactor. And as long as the world is still nuclear armed, countries are going to insist on U235 based reactors for that practical reason.

Fucked up huh?

Sorry I should have left it at vox isn’t credible.

An extremely highly rated factual reporting site by media bias sites. They lean left, but they are highly credible. Of course, facts don’t really matter to conservatives, so I could see why you are confused.

My biggest peeve with thorium is that we don't have time to expect something like that to save us. I agree we should be putting money into research to speed it up, but we need to be massively deploying the sources that are cost-competitive and that we know work right now. Same with nuclear - if we massively scale that up, then we end up with more waste and nowhere to put it.

Need a mix of solar, wind, and more advanced nuclear that is safer. Have Bob Lazar work on powering the world using Moscovium.

Back