• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lectro was RIGHT--post1626--(climate related)

tl;dr - There is no real assertions in my below post, just an attempt to better clarify some of the topics and arguments made in this thread as well as possibly introduce some new paradigms to consider. In that way my post may be a bit OT, as the argument made here is that the need to reduce fossil fuel consumption =/= need to reduce fossil fuel consumption because it's going to appreciably change the climate, and you can and should do the former even if you don't believe the latter.

This has never at any time been about people not wanting to "do things differently", it's about a CO2 theory that is claimed will be catastrophic if not addressed immediately.

Believers believe CO2 will be catastrophic, that it is possible to generate energy with basically no environmental footprint, and that big oil is blinding non-believers into buying it's product and not developing the no footprint energy source.

Non-believers don't think CO2 will be catastrophic for a variety of reasons, believe that we should pursue energy solutions that have low environmental impact, but recognize that carbon sources are the most efficient and cheap energy source available, with one of the smallest environmental footprints. If CO2 is not catastrophic it makes all the sense in the world to burn carbon while developing new technology, even low cost carbon sequestration technology if it pleases the believers.

There is little doubt that if the catastrophic CO2 theory is bunk, then carbon sources are probably the most all around environmentally friendly energy source. The theory will be doing harm, not good. That's part of the null hypothesis that never gets questioned.

it's unfortunate those fighting the good fight have not rebutted this post, and as such is one of the last words on the subject for now.

the bolded words quoted above betray the paradigm from which many human-driven climate change deniers often operate from, and that characterization of those who do believe in a causal relationship between human activity, Co2, and global climate change is pretty extreme. You make a lot of assumptions; catastrophic depends on who you are (polar bear vs golfer) or what you do (run an east coast ski resort vs running a shipping company looking to open up the NW passage), among other things.

I would say that most people who believe in anthropomorphic climate change are not the end of the world types that al gore personifies.

There were both a medieval cooling period and a medieval warming period btw (and yeah they were global I agree). What caused them to my knowledge is not known, but that the climate changes in the absence of human activity is well known (if not understood) and i do not see how it advances your argument?

My take has always been that yes the climate is changing, yes overall temperature has risen and will continue in the immediate future, yes there is both a correlational and causal relationship between atmospheric Co2 and temperature and yes human activity is adding Co2 to the atm at unprecedented levels. I think those are all facts.

I have believed that humans were the principal driver of this particular temperature shift (and still do) because of the aforementioned relationship between CO2 and heat. Some people believethe sun is actually a bigger factor in the observed rise in temperature since 1800. Both those beliefs are supportable, and both almost certainly operate in tandem, but there is only one aspect we can have any influence on.

Some people believe that humans have an insignificant/negligible impact on global atmosphere and subsequent climatic changes in the present or immediate future. That position is not tenable.

What the current observed rise in global temperature actually means for the future are grounds for debate, and you could support nearly any position from this will cause an ELE to this will have no long term appreciable effect on the climate. Because of this, for me, not much point in debating what our changing climate means fundamentally or over the long haul, because it's so uncertain it's little more than speculation. But there are still a lot of reasons to get off fossil fuels. For example--off the top of my head--I think even in the absence of human driven climate change, finding ways to get off fossil fuels and reduce emissions is a compelling course of action for many, many other reasons (i.e. shake up political power/parties/lobbies; economic/wealth transfers/benefits, both within our households, country, and overseas; keeping a "world" oil reserve; environmental damage from mining/drilling/spills/fires--not the same as global climate change, but local and regional damage).

There is little doubt that if the catastrophic CO2 theory is bunk, then carbon sources are probably the most all around environmentally friendly energy source. The theory will be doing harm, not good. That's part of the null hypothesis that never gets questioned.

This is a good point but sentence one and two are non-sequitur. Sentence one is conditional and, moreover, could use the qualifier [for now] at the end, and sentence two is speculation; "will" must be replaced with "could." For example, I have made many, many lifestyle changes, too numerous to list, in order to conserve resources, be more efficient with them, and find ways to reuse (recycle) resources (what would have hitherto been considered waste). I, society, and government, have made such changes in large part because of anthropomorphic climate change theory. Since these ways of living, policy changes, and new technologies allow us to sustain resources for longer, looking at it this way the theory has already had a positive effect as a motivator to save resources for ourselves and those who come afterwards.

In short, you can make economic arguments, national security arguments, environmental (local, regional, national), and probably others, for why we need to reduce our dependency on carbon energy in the absence of any sort of change in the aggregate climate. If we do avert an ELE in the process, that'd be great, although our understanding of the natural world wouldn't allow us to know if we had or not lol. All that said, what you wrote is something to consider for sure, as are theories related to the sun. Saying the sun has no role to play (however small) is likely just as indefensible as saying humans have no role.

BTW carbon being the most environmentally friendly source currently is something you'd also probably take a lot of flak for but i don't know what the actual costs are of windmills and solar panels (of course the full cost of carbon is not that clear either, hence the thread). I do know that nuclear energy is considered very clean and safe, and should be shocking to nobody that--in lieu of some seriously innovative technologies--will be a major source of global energy long term (centuries).

I'm not really trying to debate so much as clarify the arguments in case this thread, or the inevitable new thread, want to continue the discussion.

Last edited:
Personally I think your born-on date must be circa 2003 or 2004... your comment on the position one can take - depends on whether you are a "polar bear or a golfer" speaks volumes.

You are not much different than anybody who opposes the theory. Most of the people who now oppose the warmist/alarmist model were at one time cold-stone disciples. I fully believed -- once. Spouted the same conventional crap.

Here is some truth on polar bear populations --

Inconvenient indeed ...

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/02/170779528/the-inconvenient-truth-about-polar-bears

Polar bear populations have exploded since 1973. But keep repeating the lies. That's what the warmist clap-trap artists are good at. Watch as the guys at GISS (Goddard) take the lead in defending the theory. Gavin Schmidt and his master James Hansen. These two have been called in to explain the 17 year collapse of their computer model. They are the guys who have been wheeled in to say "the missing heat has gone to the bottom of the sea! ...our models show this is very probable"

^ This is great news since of the 113 computer models predicting dire consequences -- exactly NONE of them predicted the current 17 year run. Not 1 year, not 5, not 10 and certainly not 17 years. Wise asses in the cult now say "if it gets to 20 years we may have to reconsider the entire validity of our model system".

Global hysteria ensued after former Vice President Al Gore posed a theory in his film, “An Inconvenient Truth,” that polar bears were on the edge of extinction. Soon after, reports of fish shortages, cross-breeding between species and even polar bear cannibalism added to the global-warming debate.

These reports piqued the interest of Zac Unger, who wanted to become “a hero of the environmental movement,” proving how man-made global warming is affecting the polar bear population. He packed up his wife and kids and headed for Churchill, Manitoba, an isolated piece of land on the Hudson Bay in northern Canada accessible only by train or plane.

“I was going to write this mournful elegy for the polar bears, at which point I’d be hailed as the next coming of John Muir and borne aloft on the shoulders of my environmental compatriots,” he told NPR.

Yeah, animals typically do better when people stop hunting them.

"... There are far more polar bears alive today than there were 40 years ago. ... In 1973, there was a global hunting ban. So once hunting was dramatically reduced, the population exploded. This is not to say that global warming is not real or is not a problem for the polar bears. But polar bear populations are large, and the truth is that we can't look at it as a monolithic population that is all going one way or another."

Yea, next time they announce that the GD animals are going to be extinct by 2013 and the ice caps will be melted they should consider some real fuggin data, eh?

They made the GD claims -- live with it!

Yeah, animals typically do better when people stop hunting them.

"... There are far more polar bears alive today than there were 40 years ago. ... In 1973, there was a global hunting ban. So once hunting was dramatically reduced, the population exploded. This is not to say that global warming is not real or is not a problem for the polar bears. But polar bear populations are large, and the truth is that we can't look at it as a monolithic population that is all going one way or another."

“I was going to write this mournful elegy for the polar bears, at which point I’d be hailed as the next coming of John Muir and borne aloft on the shoulders of my environmental compatriots,” he told NPR.

Apparently he didn't get the memo, eh? Yea, he didn't get all the hunting-ban data before setting out to prove their imminent extinction.

[Redacted] even fares well when set against the IPCC's super-shifting theory-model.

Culture. Excuses. Same Shit

Global hysteria ensued after former Vice President Al Gore posed a theory in his film, “An Inconvenient Truth,” that polar bears were on the edge of extinction. Soon after, reports of fish shortages, cross-breeding between species and even polar bear cannibalism added to the global-warming debate.

These reports piqued the interest of Zac Unger, who wanted to become “a hero of the environmental movement,” proving how man-made global warming is affecting the polar bear population. He packed up his wife and kids and headed for Churchill, Manitoba, an isolated piece of land on the Hudson Bay in northern Canada accessible only by train or plane.

I missed this. When did it happen?

"d. This is not to say that global warming is not real or is not a problem for the polar bears"

You are really sharp...what do you think the guy is gonna say? He has already explained who is handlers are...don't you recognize a caveat when you see one? That line was so clearly and lazily thrown into the mix that it could only be read as a nod and a wink within the context of his article.

You hang on to that "d"...that's for your reading comprehension or lack thereof

Last edited:
It didn't and it is not going to...

No, I'm pretty sure that "Global hysteria ensued after former Vice President Al Gore posed a theory in his film" is in the past tense.

You are really sharp...what do you think the guy is gonna say? He has already explained who is handlers are...don't you recognize a caveat when you see one? That line was so clearly and lazily thrown into the mix that it could only be read as a nod and a wink within the context of his article.

You hang on to that "d"...that's for your reading comprehension or lack thereof

You don't want to stoop to correcting grammar. It doesn't bode well for you.

You don't want to stoop to correcting grammar. It doesn't bode well for you.

Like Shaw, I'll leave "grammar to the grammarians"...

Remember, in this coming ice age, don't leave home without your Strunk & White.

Most likely we'll be long gone by then. Our children will either die in an ice age or a violent warming planet. Meh.

Like Shaw, I'll leave "grammar to the grammarians"...

Remember, in this coming ice age, don't leave home without your Strunk & White.

Maybe you should leave climate science to the climate scientists then?

Maybe you should leave climate science to the climate scientists then?

That's exactly what I have done...

The people doing "actual science" are at odds with the computer modelers.

When those theoretical types actually hit the playing field all their best laid models hit the fan.

That guy in the antarctic...well, he had figured all kinds of shit...sort of like the polar bear guy. Anyway, these assholes arrive on the scene and it doesn't jibe with the mission statement funding them.

They post all kinds of end times narrative bullshit and then they have to deal with their lying eyes :)

Hahahahaha

Last edited:
That's exactly what I have done...

The people doing "actual science" are at odds with the computer modelers.

When those theoretical types actually hit the playing field all their best laid models hit the fan.

That guy in the antarctic...well, he had figured all kinds of shit...sort of like the polar bear guy. Anyway, these assholes arrive on the scene and it doesn't jibe with the mission statement funding them.

They post all kinds of end times narrative bullshit and then they have to deal with their lying eyes :)

Hahahahaha

little-boy-playing-with-toy-car.jpg

Reactions: ONW
Back