• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lectro was RIGHT--post1626--(climate related)

y8ysuja8.jpg
A nearly complete CO2 atmosphere on Venus is NOT physical evidence of anything. The existence of a greenhouse effect on Venus is also just a theory, an unproven one. Even if it were true, a correlation of what happens there with trace amounts of CO2 is a huge assumption. One might postulate that a greenhouse with 1 inch glass mirroring Venus retains heat. A greenhouse with a fiber glass woven screen won't retain ANY. Glass does not always cause a greenhouse effect. The assumption extremes are the same also goes against most observations of extremes. Conditional extremes in a physical environment rarely if ever act the same. So to get from what some think happens on Venus to the earth you have to:

1. Believe an unproven theory.
2. Assume the correlation is linear.
3. Believe two ends of an extreme behave the same in the physical world going against most observation.

Nothing physical about that.

Moreover, the CO2 theory is not about CO2 being thrown out in the atmosphere and causing all the heat rise...like the theory on Venus. The theory is the TINY change in greenhouse gas that is assumed to be "unnatural" or not-regulated (MORE assumptions) is causing mostly INDIRECT forcing via increases in water vapor which then retains the heat (MORE assumptions).

This entire thing is built on un-proven theory and assumption. All of it. The more it goes forward, the further out on the limb the supposed truth is until at some point it will look absurd.

It is absolutely absurd to me for the climate overlords to admit they don't understand ocean temperature regulation....at all mind you and their words...and still believe the CO2 theory. They are blaming the observed cooling on changes in ocean temps....because they have no other explanation (even though it's obviously the sun). Ocean temp changes and regulation is CRITICAL to what happens physically in the theory because that is where the water vapor comes from. The theory is...the atmosphere heats up slightly, in large part warming the ocean temps and causing atmospheric water vapor to increase and driving the indirect forcing. If we don't understand how ocean temps are regulated, how in the world can we blame any CHANGE in ocean temps on CO2?????

Impossible. It's all more theory and assumption. We don't understand atmospheric water regulation, ocean temps, cloud formation, CO2 regulation, etc at all. None of it. But we jump the shark to.....it must be CO2?

oh my god there are two of these morons
Linus Pauling, the double Nobel Prize winner who was one of the original vocal drivers of the CO2 theory, did not believe what the CO2 overlords are saying today. Repeat..he did not believe in the theory you believe in. He believed most of it was solar change but the thermodynamics didn't quite add up so there was a secondary driver. Was he a moron too?

This theory is going down. Every piece of new evidence continues to disprove it and indicate it's solar, and the people you believe have been backtracking more and more every year towards solar.

That's such BS. If this is true, then it wouldn't 98 or 99% of scientists believing in man made climate change.

so, i decided to check with an actual climate scientist on today's version of this merry-go-round, specifically pour's response. Here's what I got back:

1. Water vapor is not considered a "driver" of climate change by scientists because the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere changes with temperature, so it is referred to as a "feedback." Water vapor increases as the Earth's atmosphere warms, but so does the possibility of clouds and precipitation. That's why as temperatures warm some areas are expected to have a greater amount of precipitation - such as New England where we've seen an increase in precipitation and in the frequency of extreme rain events in the last few decades (these are not modeled increases, actual measured increases at weather stations). An example of another feedback: ice on the surface of the Earth reflects more light than land or the ocean, so more ice = less heat. As the globe warms and ice melts, more heat is absorbed by surfaces on the Earth which will lead to more heat. Gases, like CO2 and methane, are long-lived and when added to the atmosphere they block heat from escaping (this is a matter of simple physics - light enters our atmosphere and due to the radiation balance of the earth it has to escape - additional green house gases will bounce around certain wavelengths of light and as a result trap heat near the earth).

To address your argument about the "sun cooling" - NOAA does it best:

It's reasonable to assume that changes in the sun's energy output would cause the climate to change, since the sun is the fundamental source of energy that drives our climate system.

Indeed, studies show that solar variability has played a role in past climate changes. For example, a decrease in solar activity is thought to have triggered the Little Ice Age between approximately 1650 and 1850, when Greenland was largely cut off by ice from 1410 to the 1720s and glaciers advanced in the Alps.

But several lines of evidence show that current global warming cannot be explained by changes in energy from the sun:

Since 1750, the average amount of energy coming from the Sun either remained constant or increased slightly.
If the warming were caused by a more active sun, then scientists would expect to see warmer temperatures in all layers of the atmosphere. Instead, they have observed a cooling in the upper atmosphere, and a warming at the surface and in the lower parts of the atmosphere. That's because greenhouse gasses are trapping heat in the lower atmosphere.
Climate models that include solar irradiance changes can’t reproduce the observed temperature trend over the past century or more without including a rise in greenhouse gases.
2. " The earth was warmer during the "medieval warm period". The hockey stick BS was intended to wipe that out because the medieval warm period PROVES warming without CO2 changes. It was fraud. It does NOT correlate with any other measurement of earth temperature. If you believe it does, you believe in the flying spaghetti monster. And it's unbelievable that ANYONE can still back a group of people that are excusing out right fraud."

Yikes, sir. You are certainly passionate about this subject. And as a person who studies environments back during the Medieval Warm Period (which many scientists use as an analog for what we can expect with continued additions of green house gases into the atmosphere), I'm excited that you brought that up. The earth was even warmer than the Medieval warm period much further in the past. But what historical records (the gas bubbles trapped in ice cores and records from the sediment taken from the ocean floor) show us is that throughout the Earth's history, as temperature changes so does CO2 - they are linked (for the physical reasons I described above).

3. "This entire CO2 theory is being gutted step by step. EVERY piece of physical evidence refutes the theory. EVERY one. It all backs changes in solar activity. Yet...you guys all believe the theory. It's amazing. Most scientists just assumed climate scientists were doing good science and went along with it, but eyes are being opened."

I'm sorry, but the only thing that scientists are still debating is by just how much the weather and feedback mechanisms will change as a result of this manipulation of our atmosphere. Independent collections of physical evidence from scientists from a variety of disciplines support that human contributions to green house gases are altering physical process in the atmosphere. Do you disagree that CFC's (Chlorofluorocarbons) - which make up even less of a % of our atmosphere than CO2 - did not have an effect on the ozone layer? Because these compounds are now regulated in production and release because of the international agreements that acknowledged their contribution to the depletion of the ozone layer.

Humans have modified the atmosphere of the Earth and it is leading to broad environmental effects we still do not completely understand. What we do know, is that all models projecting changes as a result of this modification are suggesting we need to do something NOW to stop additional green house gases from entering the atmosphere. Can I ask you - what would be the harm in reducing green house gas emissions? If 97% of scientists are wrong - what's the worst we've done, reduced pollution?

Not sure if temperatures have increased where you live? Check out the University of Maine's Climate Reanalyzer - http://www.cci-reanalyzer.org/
Enter your location and pick from different climate models or historical data developed or collected from all different scientists or agencies and map how much temperatures in the last decade are different from the 1950's for example. Here is a quick plot I made of just how different the average temperature from 1990 - 2012 is different from an average from 1950 - 1980. As you can see there are some places that are cooler in recent decades, but on a whole - the United States is warmer in the last decade. This is just a small comparison of what's been happening for centuries.
A climate scientist????? That's hillarious.

1. The IPCC report..the bible of your religion....already goes against that viewpoint. Sorry. You and your climate scientist apparently doesn't even know what you're supposed to believe. Your'e supposed to believe that the sun was the dominant driver of global warming until the 1950s but then man became the dominant driver. Do you realize several years ago you were supposed to believe that man caused 100% of all of it the entire time..which was what the hockey stick graph was supposed to prove? The IPCC reports used to say there is NO evidence for ANY solar involvement in climate change. See how far it's backtracked? But I know..I'm the moron. The theory is moving in my direction but we're all just morons. I'll have to take a break now and dump my required can of motor oil down the sink to ruin the environment like a good non-believer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24292615

2. That response ducks the entire point. The hockey stick model said..there was no medieval warm period. So you and he believes it occurred. Great, but that means he didn't agree with the hockey stick...that he obviously is defending. Don't you find that odd? You can't have it both ways. Moreover, no one every said there weren't connections between warming and CO2..but the warming always came first in the fossil records which makes sense because warming causes greater plant growth and greater CO2 releases. When scientists have run experiments in a controled atmosphere, that's exactly what happens. More plant growth, more CO2 is used obviously and also released because it's measured.

3. Lots of scientists are researching the effect and trying to explain what is going on, so what are you talking about? The CERN lab actually ran experiments to prove an alternate hypothesis. Is your climate guru suggesting they're just idiots too? The data keeps refuting it, but you believers just keep hanging on. When Reddit banned critics on their forum this past week, it was obvious. The evidence is becoming overwhelming so the standard move is to just shut everyone up.

Last edited:
pour, lectro, 89 and the rest of the morons can just pick their argument against and then go here and find out why they're wrong.

The rest of us can enjoy watching the Dunning Kruger effect in action.

I love how on the evolution thread we learned from pour that it is JUST A THEORY with HUGE GAPS, but one CERN experiment PROVES his bullshit climate hypothesis.

Linus Pauling, the double Nobel Prize winner who was one of the original vocal drivers of the CO2 theory, did not believe what the CO2 overlords are saying today. Repeat..he did not believe in the theory you believe in. He believed most of it was solar change but the thermodynamics didn't quite add up so there was a secondary driver. Was he a moron too?

This theory is going down. Every piece of new evidence continues to disprove it and indicate it's solar, and the people you believe have been backtracking more and more every year towards solar.

So to recap what we have learned over the past week.

1. Pourdeac has advanced degrees in climatology, biology, physics and astro-climatology.

2. He understands the workings of the universe better than multiple Nobel winners and pillars of research in each field

3. He chooses not to publish his work in established journals of science but instead graces us with his research.

4. OGBoards is the luckiest online community on the planet.

My hat is off to you pourdeac

pour, lectro, 89 and the rest of the morons can just pick their argument against and then go here and find out why they're wrong.

The rest of us can enjoy watching the Dunning Kruger effect in action.

0% chance any of those three will visit that website.

I love how on the evolution thread we learned from pour that it is JUST A THEORY with HUGE GAPS, but one CERN experiment PROVES his bullshit climate hypothesis.
They are in fact both theories so you apparently don't understand how science works if you think something else. Human evolution theory has major gaps in it that haven't been proven...and that's a fact. People don't quite understand the mechanisms...if they did there would be no more research on it.

The CERN experiment proves that lots of scientists QUESTION the CO2 theory because the CERN experiment was an attempt to identify the other secondary driver which Linus Pauling originally believed in...and which most solar guys are trying to find out. The driver in those solar models is not 50% of warming though so that doesn't match what the climate modelers believe. It's far less.

1. Pourdeac has advanced degrees in climatology, biology, physics and astro-climatology.

2. He understands the workings of the universe better than multiple Nobel winners and pillars of research in each field

3. He chooses not to publish his work in established journals of science but instead graces us with his research.

Can you argue/discuss the science or not? At least Captain made an attempt instead of just attacking the messenger. Believe what you want. I"m a practicing scientist looking at the data and there are major problems with it. Many of the holes I have seen in the arguments over the years have in fact been proven TRUE. You are so stuck in massive group think you can't even make a rational argument and see what's going on.

What I find funny is that 10 years ago you (the collective you who believe in the CO2 religion) were defending balls to the wall that notion that humans have caused 100% of the warming of the 20th century, because that was the theory. The hockey stick proved that...supposedly. People like myself said..it didn't make any sense and made a rational argument why and pointed out holes in the theory. YOU called us all morons just like you do now. You claimed 98% of all scientists believed in humans causing 100% of the warming then just like people use that as some sort of "evidence" now (which was never even true but..)

Guess what? People like myself were correct because the physical evidence backing that theory proved it was incorrect in the ways we believed it was incorrect...but we're still the morons and the believers like yourself just spout out the same non-scientific argument. Think about that. Step away from the politics and just look at the science.

They are in fact both theories so you apparently don't understand how science works if you think something else. Human evolution theory has major gaps in it that haven't been proven...and that's a fact. People don't quite understand the mechanisms...if they did there would be no more research on it.

The CERN experiment proves that lots of scientists QUESTION the CO2 theory because the CERN experiment was an attempt to identify the other secondary driver which Linus Pauling originally believed in...and which most solar guys are trying to find out. The driver in those solar models is not 50% of warming though so that doesn't match what the climate modelers believe. It's far less.

Pot meet kettle. Actually that isn't fair because KBD seems to have a much greater understanding for what science is then you do based on this thread and the recent one on evolution. His point is you say that evolution has a number of gaps in it which lessen it's credibility while simultaneously pointing to a singular experiment as evidence your theory is correct. Well I hate to break it to you but there is WAY more evidence, observational or otherwise, pointing towards evolution. Also you are dead wrong about scientists not knowing the mechanisms. The mechanisms of evolution are quite well understood, what is being researched is how/why certain traits came to exist and how they are linked not the actual mechanism. The mechanism being alteration of our genetic material (normally via mutation but can also be incorporation of exogenous sequences) and we have a pretty good read on how such mutations are introduced into our genetic material.

I am surmising that your trust of Linus Pauling's ideas due to his Nobel Laureate status means you also trust Obama on anything remotely related to peace/diplomacy/goverment correct? I mean if a Noble Prize awarded for pioneering discoveries on the nature of chemical bonds makes one an expert on climate change certainly the same applies to Obama on a range of topics related to peace.

I am also hazarding a guess that you have had few, if any, occasions to actually meet Nobel Laureates in the sciences and talk with them because if you did you would realize that, while brilliant, the subject matter upon which they are actually experts is quite limited. In fact, I sat down with a Nobel Laureate in Medicine a few weeks ago that lectured me on why innate immunity wasn't a real thing and that I and scientists like me were simply creating a false dichotomy in the immune system. I found this intriguing since I am a close colleague and friend of Bruce Beutler who won a Nobel Prize (much more recently I might add) for his work on innate immunity. So now who do I believe pour since apparently Nobel Laureates are trusted experts and two of them disagree? Oh well, I guess innate immunity doesn't exist because one brilliant scientist that is an expert on something only tangentially related to immunity said so. I'm just so upset I have wasted my whole career doing research that has directly improved clinical outcomes for patients by studying something that is fake and doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Can you argue/discuss the science or not? At least Captain made an attempt instead of just attacking the messenger. Believe what you want. I"m a practicing scientist looking at the data and there are major problems with it. Many of the holes I have seen in the arguments over the years have in fact been proven TRUE. You are so stuck in massive group think you can't even make a rational argument and see what's going on.

What I find funny is that 10 years ago you (the collective you who believe in the CO2 religion) were defending balls to the wall that notion that humans have caused 100% of the warming of the 20th century, because that was the theory. The hockey stick proved that...supposedly. People like myself said..it didn't make any sense and made a rational argument why and pointed out holes in the theory. YOU called us all morons just like you do now. You claimed 98% of all scientists believed in humans causing 100% of the warming then just like people use that as some sort of "evidence" now (which was never even true but..)

Guess what? People like myself were correct because the physical evidence backing that theory proved it was incorrect in the ways we believed it was incorrect...but we're still the morons and the believers like yourself just spout out the same non-scientific argument. Think about that. Step away from the politics and just look at the science.

Keep banging that drum, pourdeac. Someday you might get featured on Fox News.

Of course I can argue the science, I just don't think it will do any good. I have a really hard time taking you seriously when you accuse me of being a part of "massive group think" and spouting out "non-scientific arguments." Guess what? There are millions of scientists around the world that have done actual research that proves you unequivocally wrong. You're out of your element here.

Yeah I serious question what "practicing scientist" is in pours mind. Probably playing with my first science kit he got early for Christmas. Pray do tell everyone what exact science you do, and its relation to all the climate denier nonsense you are spewing.

I know pretty damn well how science works, thankyouverymuch. Your ignorance of evolutionary theory aside (which is egregious enough in itself to discredit you here), it's poor scientific form to disregard literally thousands of published studies that contradict your argument. Yet you're the one accusing others of cherrypicking? All of your work is still in front of you, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Which field of science are you in pour?

And what's your excuse? You could not name a single IPCC scientist who contributed to the UN's initial report. You could not, if it saved your fuggin life, name a single one of the 25 scientists who formed the basis of the UN stance since day one. You neither know a name nor a field that any of them work in.

Oh sure,sure -- go, go Google.

The irony is this -- Astrophysics is still the best and brightest. You are of the ilk and it will be your peers in physics who will eventually win the day.

Ok, how about this: I am an active research scientist, PhD from Princeton, running my own neuroscience lab 3 yr now with ~20 first or last peer reviewed authorships.

I am not a climate scientist.

However, there are some very significant concerns with how the practice of science has been distorted by politics and individual greed when it comes to the IPCC. The released emails two years ago were really damning, which is IMHO a big reason why so many countries have backed off. The overwrought predictions have- so far- been wrong, and enough of the data has been cherry picked to undermine the whole endeavor.

What I think we (as a country) can say right now is that we don't really understand the drivers of global climate change yet, and therefore we don't know what is happening, what will happen, and if there is any need or ability to do anything about it. Furthermore, it may well be that our focus on C02 has delayed/distorted that understanding significantly.

My suggestion is that nobody- of any ilk, background or training- should be passionate about their interpretation of what is happening. There are way too many unprovable hypotheses floating around, and too little objective analysis.

Like everything else in the world, tying power and money to basic science is nearly always a bad thing.

The Scientists behind the Cloud Mystery
Below are the scientists interviewed for the cloud mystery program.

Here are others who stayed at the Ritz Carlton:

Professor Henrik Svensmark is the head of the Centre for Sun-Climate Research, at DTU Space, Technical University of Denmark. Since 1997, Svensmark spearheaded the idea that solar activity variations affect climate on Earth, through solar activity modulating of the cosmic rays reaching the Earth and the effect that these particles have on cloud cover. This idea received a significant boost with the SKY experiment that he headed, which showed under laboratory conditions how the ionization caused by cosmic rays gives rise to the formation of condensation nuclei, a necessary step in the formation of clouds.
This idea is the main theme covered in the documentary.
Home page: At DTU Space.

Prof. Nir Shaviv is a member of the Racah Insitute of Physics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. His research interests cover a wide range of topics in astrophysics. Most are related to the application of fluid dynamics, radiation transfer or high energy physics to a wide range of objects - from stars and compact objects to galaxies and the early universe. His studies on the possible relationships between cosmic ray intensity and the Earth's climate, and the Milky Way's Spiral Arms and Ice Age Epochs on Earth were widely echoed in the scientific literature. They are also described at length in the documentary.
Home page: At the Hebrew University
Personal blog: ScienceBits.com

Prof. Ján Veizer, born in Slovakia, left his home country in 1968 and, after scientific stations in Australia, the US and the Federal Republic of Germany, was, in 1979, named Full Professor at the University of Ottawa, Canada. In 1988 he accepted an invitation to the Chair of Sedimentary Geology at the Ruhr-University in Bochum, but still retains his association with the University of Ottawa. Ján Veizer, considered one of the most creative, idea-rich and productive geoscientists of our times, has in his research in front of his eyes the overall picture of the Earth during its entire 4.5 billion years of evolution. He proposes, that our planet – in analogy to living systems – is involved in “birth-death cycles” that apply also to geological bodies. In his view, rocks, mineral deposits and tectonic units, such as mountain ranges and oceans, follow the rules of population dynamics. Jan Veizer is also the recipient of numerous prestigious fellowships and awards.
Home page: At the University of Ottawa

Prof. Eigil Friis-Christensen is a space physicist and director of DTU Space. His scientific career includes many aspects of the solar wind-magnetosphere coupling processes and their ionospheric "footprints". Already early in life Eigil Friis-Christensen was fascinated by the interdisciplinary aspects of solar-terrestrial relationships, and in particular the possible effects in the lower atmosphere (weather andclimate) of solar activity variations. In 1991, Friis-Christensen and Knud Lassen discovered that the solar cycle length correlates with the global temperature variations.
Wikipedia entry

Prof. Eugene Parker is Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus in Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of Chicago, and the world's top expert on the solar wind, which fights the incoming cosmic rays. He published the first full theory of the solar wind in 1958, predicting among other features the curved magnetic fields that are now called Parker spirals. Spacecraft travelling into the Solar System confirmed his predictions magnificently, but before then fellow experts had greeted his ideas with total scepticism, and even tried to prevent their publication. That experience left Prof. Parker sympathetic to other pioneering scientists (like Henrik Svensmark) given a hard time by their colleagues.
Wikipedia entry.

Prof. Richard Turco is the founding Director of the Institute of the Environment at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) and Professor of Atmospheric Sciences. Earlier in his career he was well known for pioneering work on the the climatic effect of nuclear war ('nuclear winter') and on the effect of manmade chemicals on high-altitude ozone over Antarctica ('the ozone hole'). Recent research ranges from the condensation trails of aircraft to global models of air pollution. Prof. Turco's theoretical work in association with Fangqun Yu on the chemistry of aerosols and cloud formation ('ion mediated nucleation') is highly relevant to the question of how cosmic rays can influence the Earth's cloudiness, as investigated experimentally by the Svensmark team.
Home page: At UCLA

Dr. Paal Brekke received his Dr. Scient. degree in 1993 from the Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics at the University of Oslo. Much of his work focuses on dynamical aspects of the solar atmosphere and measuring variations of solar UV radiation. He took part in the Norwegian involvement in preparing spectrometers for the SOHO spacecraft. After the launch of SOHO in December 1995, he became part of the science operation team at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. He joined the European Space Agency (ESA) in January 1999 as the SOHO Deputy Project Scientist stationed at NASA/GSFC. In December 2004 he left SOHO and is working as a senior advisor at the Norwegian Space Centre. He is also a member of ESA's Science Policy Committee.

Home page: Paal Brekke

Back